• This topic has 42 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The agony of a lost tool
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

MIA. I’ve had this Snap On flex head ratchet for thirty years. I always clean my tools and return them to the same place in their drawer. Not in an OCD manner, just a habit so I know where they are and that it’s good to go when I next use them. Friday, I pulled open the drawer and reached for it and it wasn’t there. I’ve stripped back the last two jobs I used it on in the hope that I’d lost in a dark corner of an engine bay. A lifetime warranty is useless if you lose the tool. The 10mm socket was safely on its rail. Scunnered

perchypanther
    Free Member

Relieved.

Thought this thread was going to be about a horrendous industrial accident.

tonyg2003

I took MrsG for new tyres this week and the next day when I was cleaning the car for her (it was a pit) I found that the tyre fitters had left a very nice torque wrench in the boot. I took it back to the fitters and you could tell that the guy that fitted our tyres was very relieved to see it returned!

oldtennisshoes

Opened thread wondering if this was a continuation of Flashy where are’t thou
    #disappointed

redmex
    Free Member

You may need to translate the word scunnered for those outside of Fife maybe Scotland

redmex
    Free Member

The tyre fitter was probably unscunnered rather than relieved

perchypanther
    Free Member

scunnered

globalti
    Free Member

Equally annoying is lost sports kit – when I used to climb I had built up a good rack of the gear that suited my style of climbing. I lent it to my brother for a couple of months and when it came back most of it had disappeared. Turned out HE had lent it to somebody and hadn’t noticed the theft. I’ve never quite forgiven him for that.

tthew

Great when you find them though.

I lost my GPS watch and Knipex pliers, (the posh slip joint ones) a few weeks ago. Spent a good few hours over a weekend looking for them, no joy. Turned them both up at random within 1 minute of each other. 😁

Where did you have it last?
    It’ll be in the last place you look!
    etc.

tomhoward

It’ll be in the last place you look!

Never understood this. Why would you continue to look for something you have now found?

tthew

😁 Exactly!
    Also, the where did you have it last question, ‘If I knew that, I’d not need to look!’

fadda

This happens to me after every cold ride.

Oh…

stumpy01

Wedged somewhere in that range rover/land rover thing that you took to bits a while back?

dannyh
    Free Member

Is disappoint.

Was thinking this might be a thread about the sort of thing my wife occasionally had to x ray for when she was an A&E radiographer.

You know, the kind of thing where a look a nod a wink and a smile means EVERYONE in the department knows to come and have a quick look at the patient and the x ray.

Lightbulbs were a thing, apparently…

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I lost my favourite 8mm spanner. It turned up literally the last day I could look for it, when we moved house, I was draining the washing machine and found it in the filter.

slowoldman

the tyre fitters had left a very nice torque wrench in the boot.

I think they use them to ensure the wheel nuts will be too tight for a mortal to undo with the wrench supplied with the car.

sobriety
    Free Member

Nah they leave them lying around to give the impression they don’t just wizz the wheel nuts up to “never coming undone again” tightness with the windy gun.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tools? Ruins my day of I misplace a biro and there’s boxes full of them in the cupboard at work.

kimbers

We were burgled a while back , bike was recovered but my toolbag was taken but never returned.

In some ways was nice being able to go out and buy a complete set of new bike tools, but I missed some, just because they were familiar and then there were the things I forgot about because I used them so rarely , until I need that lifetime supply of red rubber grease, hope bore cap removal tool or works component BB tool !
    Worst thing is im sure that the scally that nicked them probably has no idea what they are for & probably binned them😭

epicyclo

My little parallel jaw Knipex goes missing every so often.

After exhaustive searches, checking every corner, then waiting a week or two and repeating those searches, then it’s obviously fallen out of my saddlebag.

So eventually I grit my teeth and buy a new one.

It’s round about then the original pops up in a jacket I haven’t worn since last winter or the bumbag from 2 ‘Puffers ago.

It’s a cunning wee tool, but now I have 2 it doesn’t seem to want to go wandering, and my son is grateful for the other one I gave him.

Hang on, where is it now?… 🙂

maccruiskeen

Great when you find them though.

I lost my hammer – the hammer of truth and justice – a framing hammer with an axe-like handle that sort of looked a bit murder-weapony

I bought three replacements before settling one I liked enough to use…. then I found the original again.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I feel your pain, I have a special tool for undoing the sump plug on our X Trail.  On one occasion whilst servicing it, could I find the tool.  I had the shed emptied, my tool boxes emptied and sorted.  I couldn’t find it and went and bought another, after using it I thought to myself “put it in a safe place where you won’t lose it”,  The original tool was sitting in the safe place……..

igm

Perchypanther

Relieved.

Thought this thread was going to be about a horrendous industrial accident.

Smelting accident surely.

codybrennan
    Free Member

The agony of a lost tool

Must have been quite a wrench…..

I’ll get Perchy’s coat.

jimmy

You’ll find it, for sure.

Northwind

When we got broken into the first time, the guy used my ancient draper expert allen keys to nick some parts off a secured bike, then went off with the 3mm and 4mm. I’d had them for over 20 years 🙁 I got a nicer set to replace them but it’s not the same.

But then in the last break-in, the little shit took my entire storage box of little spares. Every brake pad, wheel adaptor, little spacer, spare brake olive, cable attachy thing, leftover bolt, bushing, spare bearing, little bit of chain that I’d built up over a decade. Even now I still keep on going to do a job and discovering I need something that was in that box.

bruneep

if ever there was a need for a #gofundme page this has to be it!

halifaxpete

My garage is a black hole of missing tools, Kept my socket set intact for 15 years though..its nothing special just a Halfords pro but its still grafting 😀

oreetmon
    Free Member

Don’t talk to me about losing stuff,

After suffer a head injury several years ago I went from being an Uber organised OCD loon to being a forgetful loon.

My only way of coping with this is to have small piles of ‘useful’ stuff around the house, this is so I can’t lose anything important.

(Useful as in no idea what I need it for)

My main problem is ,,, for eg,,,
    Servicing forks and putting very small bits safe to one side whilst I root through a big pile of useless stuff for a specific bit of useful stuff then not being able to find the small useful bit to finish the job…

Sometimes I laugh 😞

kiwijohn

I just tried to remove a Banshee dropout with my MBUK 3 way allen tool.
    Well, that’s that rooted then.

nickjb
    Free Member

My hammer spent about three years on the cross-member of a housemates van. It drove for miles (like he stole it) and it just sat there. Eventually turned up when he started taking parts off to scrap it.

Conversely I have a small collection of tools found in the road over the years that I presume had a similar fate but couldn’t hang on. Two Snap on ratchet spanners, some wire strippers, a huge adjustable spanner, to name a few.

richmtb

I “lost” my only cassette tool (nothing special a cheap one from a set) when I needed to do a drivetrain swap.

Went out and bought a new cassette tool, but it was a bit shit as the splines were really shallow, so I bought a Park one.

The old one turned up tucked behind the leg of my work bench

I now own three cassette tools

HarryTuttle

Lost a nice ice climbing glove when I moved house. I couldn’t bring myself to bin the other one of the pair. Over the next 5 years, I alternately found the left but not the right, then found the right but not the left…

Eventually, I found them both and the pair was reunited.

matt_outandabout

Equally annoying is lost sports kit

Indeed.

1992 VERY purple Karrimor Alpinists 65 is somewhere in Dunblane. Last seen on a training evening just before Christmas at the cathedral.

IdleJon

Also, the where did you have it last question, ‘If I knew that, I’d not need to look!’

That suggests that you have a degree of common sense, unlike my MiL who regularly loses her purse and spend the next hour ringing every shop or café she’s been in that day, ringing my wife to tell her she can’t possibly do whatever they were meaning to do, ringing the bank to cancel cards, and then finds it in her handbag where it’s been since she last used it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Had my own half day of missing tools aguish yesterday, arrived at work and unable to use my d-lock or get in my locker, I’m sure you will all be thrilled to know I found my secondary key bunch by our home shed when I got back (having tried to cycle home a bit slower, hoping that by some miracle among all the recent storm litter, I might spot said bunch if I’d dropped them on way home on Monday).

Funny how things are always in the last place you look, I’m not senile enough yet to find something I was looking for and then continue to look for it. 😆

senorj

Ooh yes. Me.
    I lost half of a Macgyver multi tool in a two hundred metre* stretch of muddy bridal way. It’s haunted me every since.
    *=distance travelled before realising backpack was open after mechanical repair. I do still ride past the spot in the vain hope it’ll be ploughed up like treasure and return back to its rightful owner.
    🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Lost a nice ice climbing glove when I moved house. I couldn’t bring myself to bin the other one of the pair. Over the next 5 years, I alternately found the left but not the right, then found the right but not the left…

Eventually, I found them both and the pair was reunited.

I hate losing tools most … it just annoys me even if its one allan key I can replace from a set but I once checked in a rucksac + big bag and paid excess… it was all just packed in on weight/space at the end of 6 weeks camping and apart from some stuff like sleeping bag which was lost the worst part was having a flysheet but no inner, countless odd socks and half a stove etc. It seemed like almost everything was split between the 2 bags..

40mpg

Not lost as such – I knew exactly where it was. But after a middle of the might emergency repair at Mountain Mayhem ileft my socket wrench by the car wheel.

Forgot to pick it up the next day, remembered half way home. I often think of my poor wrench rattling through the blades of a tractor towed grass cutter. I even went back and looked the following year, but it had probably been mowed half way across the field by then.

I feel a little bit sad every time I open the set, and see the empty wrench space (I use the smaller one with an adapter now). This was probably 10 years ago now.

sheeps

I had a lovely 15mm campag butter spanner…. very little use for it these days, but lovely in the hand.

It was in our van when it was nicked. Whilst the insurers will pay for the van, they will not for a 25 year old spanner. Its loss is what upsets me (and they’re upwards of £50 on ebay) more than the van.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘The agony of a lost tool’ is closed to new replies.