Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The ads on this page are killing my browser HELP!!
  • organic355
    Free Member

Both internet explorer and chrome are dying a death when I access this page at work so not sure if it’s some network
    Setting, but I just can’t seem to browse, post or do
    Anything without the page becoming unresponsive and dying,

Bottom bar always says, waiting for “ad this”

Anything I can do to speed things up?

wwaswas

Anything I can do to speed things up?

get a ‘P’ next to your name.

scotroutes

Disable Flash

jambourgie
    Free Member

Not use Internet Exploder for a start.

wwaswas

we could be straying into ‘uh oh’ territory on this thread so everyone needs to be careful…

organic355
    Free Member

Seems I can browse most of the time and log in ok, but when I come to post he page becomes unresponsive.

Posting this from my phone no problem.

organic355
    Free Member

Maybe is not the ads, maybe it’s my IT guys blocking me for accessing the page so much, assume
    They could do that?

scotroutes

If your IT guys were blocking it then you wouldn’t see it at all.

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, sounds as though you’re suffering the same as others and myself at the hands of the flash heavy adverts.

I’ve used one of the free month long Premier subscriptions and not had the problem since. Very tempted to pay for the P just to avoid the ads!

Alternatively ask your network guys to block the ads category on their filter and that will stop them appearing 🙂

scotroutes

Ah yes – the classic bait and switch 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Your IT bods might be implementing a perimeter adblock filter?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the only problems i get (when using phone or tablet, both on the latest android, using chrome) is that bloody annoying amazon advert – EVERY time it appears on a page both the phone and tablet hang requiring a re-start

makes surfing STW impossible, and i don’t thin i’ve ever once used a link

xiphon
    Free Member

makes surfing STW impossible, and i don’t thin i’ve ever once used a link

You clicking the link is only half of it – STW get paid when your eyes SEE the advert.

So technically, STW looses revenue if you block ads, regardless of whether you’d ever click on them.

AlexSimon

Are you sure it doesn’t say “add this”?
    In which case, it’s not the adverts – it’s the ‘share’ buttons all over the site.
    They are massive bits of code, but your browser should be caching it.

It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve caused problems though.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is what I do routinely browsing anything, as it’s not only the STW site which causes problems. I think this avoids ‘uh oh’ territory?

There should shortly also be a solution for that (on Chrome) – sorry haven’t yet got that update published though, as I’m supposed to be adding some other stuff in, and haven’t had time.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much given up looking on here via my PS3, each pages takes forever to access properly.

God knows what it is because all the flash stuff laods up ok but then the page hangs.

scotroutes

Which is what I do routinely browsing anything, as it’s not only the STW site which causes problems. I think this avoids ‘uh oh’ territory?
    [/quote]+1

weeksy

I too got a 1 month code on here, i will be paying the price to have a P next to my name in the future when it expires. I could be cynical here and say, maybe it’s part of the plan from the STW mods… but that would be really cynical.

Either way, it’s either pay the price, or the site is useless.

mogrim

This thread has delete-dashed’s-posts-and-close written all over it 🙂

Cougar

Right, so I don’t have to spend all day editing this bloody thread, please note two things.

1) the “STW mods” don’t have a plan, we’re more Filch than Dumbledore. I’m reasonably certain though that the owners wouldn’t intentionally knobble the site. As far as I’m aware, the served advertising is under constant review.

2) http://singletrackworld.com/terms-and-conditions/

Dashed, please read your email before I’m forced to suspend your login for a couple of days.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

No, no – I mustn’t say anything about not seeing any adverts – the Grown-Ups will ban me again 🙁

Mark

You do have them switched off don’t you Lady? Since you are a Premier user.

We have a bit of a dilemma at this time of year as the contracted ads (these are the nice ones that come out of the bike industry) are at their lowest levels. That means the Network supplied stuff gets more of the volume. We don;t get to vet these ads until they appear (at least with most of the network providers we use) and so we have to have a more reactionary policy on the ads. We have got an awful lot of filters set up on the advertising to block certain categories like adult, dating, gambling, politics etc.. But it’s a broad tool and occasionally some get through.

Turning them off is not an option. They earn us money that we need to run the business. becoming a premier user and then deactivating them is one option but making the site awkward to use otherwise is not a sustainable strategy. We are currently getting traffic around the 1.3 million uniques a month level which dwarfs the number of premier users. Deliberately making the site difficult to use for 99.9% of our users would be a very daft thing to do obviously.

We are planning some advertising layout changes with fewer positions but new ad size formats in a few weeks time and we’ll have a few extra subs options for you early next month too, which should make things better 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    You do have them switched off don’t you Lady? Since you are a Premier user.

Yes – at the moment that is due to your one month free premium membership, Mr Grumpy, or may I call you Mark? 😆

somouk
    Free Member

Is there a premier option that just allows ad removal or does it always offer electronic mag access as a minimum?

Might be worth looking at a cheap subscription just for ad removal and maybe the addition of premier only sections?

scotroutes

I believe that is one of the options about to be available.

Drac

Might be worth looking at a cheap subscription just for ad removal and maybe the addition of premier only sections?

It is.

I wonder?

We’ll have a few extra subs options for you early next month too, which should make things better

aracer
    Free Member

There isn’t any chance of just blocking the Flash based ones? I remember having a conversation about this with you many years ago (when I got banned for mentioning the unmentionable) and it seemed you managed to get a Flash CRC advert replaced by an animated GIF one.

…and yes I do remember you pointing out that the animated ads got a lot more clicks. I have no problem with animation, just Flash – I’m with Steve Jobs on that one.

hunterst
    Free Member

I must say, it really has started to resemble Homers webpage of late.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The ads on this page are killing my browser HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.