The 'Actual Cost' of a new bike

• This topic has 45 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by  TiRed.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • The 'Actual Cost' of a new bike
  • michaelmcc

Guessing ceramic BB and headset.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Ah, thought you meant in gbp

Premier Icon Ben_H
    Subscriber

I got carried away in the January sales!!

I’ve run one MTB (currently a Soul 275) and one “life bike” (an Escapade) for a long time, but decided over Christmas that I needed something more suitable for the road riding I’m doing a lot of.

I looked at running a lightweight off-the-shelf roadie as a third bike (Trek Emonda etc), but I’m never happy with factory builds and so decided to swap as many parts as possible across from the Escapade to a new, lighter disc-ready frame.

However… with the frame now actually bought (Kinesis 4S Disc), I got carried away and so the plan now is:

– singlespeed Escapade (for station / town / winter and potentially rebuilding as a tourer when I need it)
    – completely new lightweight build for the 4S, based around Racelight 700c wheels and 105 11-speed
    – some upgraded to the Soul (seemed rude to leave it alone!)

That lot’s costing about £1,500… It’s a lot, but I resolved over the New Year to finally give in to some cycling spend – as I’ve spent loads more on more worthless things in the past and I do actually cycle a hell of a lot!

tom200

Got a free Scott road bike from the tip!

New specialized tricross frame £120
    New stem £20
    New crankset £80
    New rear mech £25
    New seat post £20
    New saddle £20
    New tyres £60
    New tubes £10
    New pedals £20
    Bar tape £10
    Cables £25
    Bottom bracket £12
    Still need new wheels and new shifters, front mech……..the list goes on.

Even though the doner bike was fee, I could have saves some money by buying a new cx bike in the sales!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

My TCX Adv1 cost £3k, it’s pretty standard apart from the saddle (Pologo nago TT 40, which I use on all my bikes, £150) Wheels, well I’ve a set of Reynolds Assult Discs which cost £1400 and some Zipp 303 firecrest Discs £1600 (but these have yet to be fitted, cos the weathers really grotty I’ve held back on fitting them, but the Assults are bloomin good wheels as is)

So, well, tot that lot up and I’m about £6500 into it.. and.. and I’m thinking of changing it this coming year for a Ridley X-Night sl 10 disc.. (£4450 new and yes I’ll change the saddle but use either the 303’s on it or Assults if the weathers pants) So that’s a bit of a bargain if I bring the wheels over with me innit 😯

I don’t count tyres into the equation, if i did you can add easily £350 as I’ve got quite a few sets of new tyres waiting to be used.

But hey, WGAS really. I’ve had a cracking day in the New Forest on a gravel loop of 46k and ridden it flat chat (interval training again) until a dog chased me down and bit my ankle.. good job it was a Spring Puppy.. 😆

TiRed

Trike was £800.

New shifters, tyres (3 durano), inner tubes, rack, K-edge garmin mount, and other bits added another £350. Oh and £25 for a nice flag 😀

Most recent Defy 5 winter bike is sporting new wheels, mudguard, fork, stem, Ultegra 6600 groupset, KEO max cromo pedals, Arione saddle. I had everything except the groupset (£140), stem (£30) and mudguards (£30), which replaced an old 8 speed Sora.

Must find a new frame for that Sora now 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘The 'Actual Cost' of a new bike’ is closed to new replies.