Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The A17 – whats its like to drive? do I need a passport?
  • fisha
    Free Member

I live in west coast of scotland. Have a wedding to go to on Sat 9th … near Norwich. Gonna drive to brother near Macclesfield friday night to see my bro, then zip over the rest of the way on sat morning.

According to google maps, its a choice of either down M6 and across, or over the peaks and along the A17. The M6 is about 50 miles longer, but the time frame very similar.

Which would be better … I have no clue!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A17 sounds fun if you have the right car 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not M6, A66, A1, A17 ?

A66 can be slow though if you hit it at the wrong time, but still quicker than crossing the snake pass or tother one at rush hour IMO.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Why not M6, A66, A1, A17 ?

I’d guess because it’s a long way back up to the A66 from Macclesfield!

A17 is ok unless you get stuck behind a lorry doing 40.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d drop down to the A50 from Macc to the M1

whippersnapper
    Free Member

A17 sounds fun if you have the right car

if I remember correctly it’s full of cameras so not fun at all unfortunately.

mortuk2k
    Free Member

A17 is best avoided at all costs. If you must, factor in an extra additional hours for tractors and heavy freight on and endless single lane carriageway through easily the dullest scenery in the country.

Your alternative isn’t much better, but fast depending on time of travel. M6 will bring you to the A14, which is fine until you hit Cambridge. And could get much worse once you hit the A11.

Norwich is pretty cut off by modern trunk road standards.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been stuck on the A17 many times…

JulianA
    Free Member

If you stop and interact with the locals be prepared for someone to say “Give me six!” Oh, and you’ll fit in better if you have webbed feet…

It’s not my favourite road. Some dual carriageway between Peterborough and Thorney, but other than that it’s Norfolk ‘n good.

uplink
    Free Member

If you stop and interact with the locals be prepared for someone to say “Give me six!” Oh, and you’ll fit in better if you have webbed feet…

He’s from Scotland, it won’t be too much of a shock

JulianA
    Free Member

True, uplink, hadn’t considered that angle!

Hohum
    Free Member

Every time I drove on the A17 it smelled of cabbages!

fisha
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, your comments are what I imagined regarding the A17 … stuck behind slow traffic eating up my time.

I’ll be travelling early doors on the Saturday morning … I just have this fear of the M6 around Birmingham … dunno why … just dont want to go there.

The A50/M1/A14 looks a better alternative I think.

Webbed feet … hmmmm.

alpin
    Free Member

yes, you’ll need your passport. border control is tight.

rOcKeTdOg

I just have this fear of the M6 around Birmingham

major roadworks between jct 12-8, avoid at all costs or factor in an extra hour during busy times

mboy
    Free Member

Every time I drove on the A17 it smelled of cabbages!

And potatoes, don’t forget potatoes…

Webbed feet … hmmmm.

Yes, don’t get drawn into any swimming contests by the locals, they have distinctive advantages!

allthegear
    Free Member

I drive the A17 regularly and it’s fine.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And potatoes, don’t forget potatoes…

Funnily enough my trips up there were to do a “man from Del Monte” on potato crops – used to trade them in bulk. Our main packhouse was nr Boston.

molgrips
    Free Member

Will he not be able to take M6 Toll to avoid Brum altogether?

Hairychested
    Free Member

The M6 has generally been fine for me, never paid to take the M6 Toll though. A11 is my worst road ever, I seized the engine on my GP100 when I got stuck behind a lorry there. Or was it the A12?

snakebite
    Free Member

M6 (J15)Stoke to A50 to M1 and down…

yamyamblade
    Free Member

As everyone has said A17 can be frustrating to drive along, I drive down it quite a bit to some of our sites and as long as you leave plenty of time for your journey and except you are going to get stuck behind tractors and the like.

Great cafe just before Long Sutton think its called Farm Cafe for a quick bite to eat or a brew

Just watch out for the locals, most famous tale I’ve been told is that they invented the wheelbarrow around there so they learnt how to stand up straight

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The A17 – whats its like to drive? do I need a passport?’ is closed to new replies.