Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • The 2nd Hand Bike Market is Bonkers at the Moment
  • tomd
    Free Member

If anyone has any serviceable bikes they don’t need now is a great time to get them sold. Very poor availability of cheap new stuff and loads of folk wanting to get out CV19 and good weather.

I’d kept my old full sus mainly because it was basically worthless when I tried to sell a few years back. It still rode well, just the wrong wheel size and old-ish school geometry.

Stuck it up for sale on facebook marketplace and was basically beating people away with a shitty stick. It was collected, gone cash in hand (full whack) in 2 hours.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got about half a dozen bikes I should get rid of, might see about getting them ready for sale at the weekend. Combination of old kids bikes (one 24″ wheeled and one 26″ wheeled with a small frame) plus some nicer road stuff – although I doubt my spare TT bike will be as easy to sell as the others!

Not a clue what to sell them at though? Nicest one is a Boardman Team Carbon from about 2010 with 2×10 SRAM Rival (barring an Apex rear mech and an 11:32 cassette that I switched to because I’m old and feeble) but otherwise standard apart from GP4000’s and some clip-on aero bars. Good nick as it hasn’t actually been used that much as I got a Roubaix soon afterwards. Anyone got a clue what I should try and sell that for?

lardman
    Free Member

It’s kind of variable tho, as i’ve had a frame (and other stuff) for sale at well under 1/2 new price, which has had very little interest.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I put my Dartmoor shine up for sale at £950 firm and had it sold in about 20mins

damascus
    Free Member

Not knowing what things are worth at the moment I’ve left it ti market forces and put some stuff in ebay, 99p, no reserve. I can’t believe the amount of watches I have for done old stuff I had taking up space! 5 days left, will see what happens.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Agreed. I was asked to value a 17 year old Allez up for a friend who wanted to sell hers. There just happend to be the same bike listed on eBay so waited to see what that went for. 17 years old, described as “In need of TLC”…it went for almost half its 2003 RRP!

She sold a kids bike, the Allez and a 2004 full suss within a day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@tomd Was it a trek fuel IIRC?

I’ve got some XT M8000 brakes I’ll punt on ebay, nothing else I need rid of really, pared everything down to a full susser and a commuter a few years back.

zippykona

And where are the super bargain deals on last year’s bikes?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m not on Facebook. Any other suggestions of where the best place is to sell?

I’ll try gumtree, but will probably have to get my shit together and register on eBay.

richardkennerley

Same goes for kids bikes, sold the little ones balance bike within two hours of the eBay listing going live 👍

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yes, I do realise how stoopid my last post was, sorry.

epicsteve
    Free Member

From a quick look on Ebay it appears my Boardman Team Carbon is maybe worth around £400, which I think is half what I paid for it new (I think it was about £1000 list at the time but I got it in a Halfords sale).

oldtennisshoes

Facebook marketplace has worked better for me than Gumtree.
    I’ve sold 7 bikes, including 1 for a friend, over the past few weeks and got ambitious prices for all of them.
    Be quick though because as furlough is reigned in, the perceived free money and time sat around doing nothing will reduce and take demand with it.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I think I need to get on ebay then!

I’ve got my daughter’s scooter that she didn’t get on with at all in the garage. We tried to sell it a while back & had no interest at all.

There’s also her Banana bike that she’s just upgraded from (full pedal power now).

I’ve got a Weeride seat in the garage too & a ton of bits like handlebars etc. that I keep meaning to get rid of, as well as some clothing – gripgrab gloves, some TSG t-shirts etc.

Will go someway to financing a 1×11 upgrade on my Stumpjumper & some new brakes!

chakaping
    Free Member

And where are the super bargain deals on last year’s bikes?

You’ve missed those by a few months.

It’ll be interesting to see how the weather affects demand now.

the-muffin-man

I’m looking forward to Autumn when all these bikes come back on the market – won’t be long before the traffic increases rapidly and people feel unsafe on the roads. Then it gets cold and wet and dark – and the appeal isn’t so great!

Tracey

I’ve dipped my toes back in the market, Usually only sell on here. Advertised top spec bikes at a price I thought was reasonable on here and Pinkbike and both went very quickly The S Works Enduro was sold within minutes on Pinkbike and met up with cash and collected within the hour. I’m having more luck with full bikes than splitting. Might even build the S Works Stumpjumper back up just to see

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1980s Raleigh Pioneers going for £100?

Old Dawes Galaxy? £400-£500?

Never seen so many, it must be the great shed-emptying of 2020

Mentalism.

blokeuptheroad

Just sold a 2013 Specialized Rockhopper on Ebay for £450. It was only £600 new. It was well looked after with a few upgrades but still, I was only hoping for around £200. If it wasn’t for the fact I might struggle to replace it with something decent I’d be tempted to sell my 2018 Giant Trance 2.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Autumn when all these bikes come back on the market – won’t be long before the traffic increases rapidly and people feel unsafe on the roads. Then it gets cold and wet and dark – and the appeal isn’t so great!

I’m looking at it completely differently, and hoping that this is a sliding doors moment for many of those new cyclists and that they’ll keep it going once we return to whatever normal is, no interested in 2nd hand bargains.

My wife is now cycling the 6 miles through town to the hospital every day, would never have considered it pre-CV19, as the cycle route is a joke and the main road was a scary concept for her. This has given her the confidence of riding on that road, and the slow and steady switching on of traffic levels has meant she’s not noticed a sudden danger. She’s now talking of getting winter kit together, lights, waterproofs etc.

It’s brilliant.

weeksy

yeah it’s still bonkers…. Bikes that were £450 a couple of months ago are being asked now for £800+…

arcing
    Free Member

We put a 4th hand Islabike CNOC 16 on at the weekend, we had an offer of £185 and it had been picked up with 24 hours. More than we paid for it last year. Wish I had more to sell.

the-muffin-man

I’m looking at it completely differently, and hoping that this is a sliding doors moment for many of those new cyclists and that they’ll keep it going once we return to whatever normal is, no interested in 2nd hand bargains.

…see rose-tinted specs have been on offer this spring! 🙂

daern
    Free Member

It’s brilliant.

No question. Every ride is a delight at the moment, seeing so many cyclists out riding and I don’t even get grumpy when some my favourite spots have turned into something of an obstacle course!

Clearly, it won’t all be sustained (sadly, the rapid increase in traffic levels will not encourage some leisure riders – last night felt worryingly normal on the roads), but my hope is that a decent percentage of them will continue to ride even after we return to normal life and that will be a great thing.

Still hoping to pick up an ex-dentist F12 in the autumn for half price though 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

see rose-tinted specs have been on offer this spring!

Rose tinted refers to looking back at better times, we’ve never had a great cycling culture, I’m more of an eternal optimist tbh.

boardmanfs18

Are expensive second hand bikes selling though ? Thinking of selling my Rocky Mountain altitude as its not been used much lately.

And this is isn’t a stealth ad either !

DezB
    Free Member

Its literally just started raining as I read this thread! So the market will probably be changing as we speak 😉

ajantom

OTOH, I just picked up a barely used kids bike (genuinely looks like it’s not been used!) for less than half retail.

ogden
    Free Member

I did pinkbike and Facebook and sold within 12 hours. Facebook got loads more attention but I linked to the pinkbike ad.

12 photos showing every little chip and scratch I could fine and I was probably overly critical about the bike, honesty is the best way. That also means he can’t come back and complain about any thing after.

Wondering if it’s worth selling my good bike as well while the going is good

I got £1k and I think I’d have maybe got £600-£700 pre lockdown.

tomd
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge. Yeah it was, good bike still liked riding it and worked well it was just getting used little and far between. Hopefully be a good bike for someone to get into riding over the summer.

Got a Stanton Sherpa, which will more than do for all my current riding needs. I wanted to put the funds from the sale to a new fork but just looked at prices, ooft. Not a good time to be bike bit shopping.

@thegeneralist
    IME Facebook is the quickest way to get rid of stuff and get actual cash, avoiding fees and payapl faff. Facebook absolutely does my head in so I just uninstall it after I’ve sold stuff. Maybe if the bike is a bit higher end then it wouldn’t be so good but for sub £500 just seems like the best way to sell these days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve sold stuff. Maybe if the bike is a bit higher end then it wouldn’t be so good but for sub £500 just seems like the best way to sell these days.

I think less that and more people want a ‘normal’ bike. I tried to sell a singlespeed commuter with dynamo, guards, etc and got no interest at all apart form someone asking if I would sell the dynamo and light separately. However older 26″ mountainbikes seem to be selling for what would be silly money.

I bet if you tried to sell a 29er Xc bike you would get not much more than it was worth last year because the market for decent bikes hasn’t changed. If you tried to sell a 26″ XC bike from 8 years ago it would probably get a decent price though as people just want a bike to ride around with their kids.

himupstairs

it is wild.

I got rid of a very tired but still vaguely functioning 2005 specialized enduro via gumtree. Needed new frame bearings (lots of them on an enduro), forks serviced, shock serviced, new chain/cassette/chainrings.

Within 20 minutes of posting the advert i’d had about twenty people wanting it, including some offering more than I was asking. By the time it was collected i’d had maybe 70 messages.

Sold it to someone who did a round trip of about 90 miles and gave me 20% more than advertised – suspect i could easily have got twice as much!

wild

mehr
    Free Member

Welcome to two-months ago

Coronatax

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah agree Tinas I really struggled to sell a tidy singlespeed dynamo commuter bike for £100 on Facebook/Gumtee. It was a handy bike, ended up giving it away.

I suppose a 26″ bike is only old if you’re aware of all the 27.5 nonsense. Plenty folk will just want a bike and have a few hundred in cash sitting about that would have gone on pubs/holidays/events.

cookeaa

Hmmm,

I fished these out of the garage 2 weeks ago intending to flog them as their owners went and got bigger:

But they are now being used as “Garden bikes” and have drummed up a lot of enthusiasm for riding again…

The “washing line to fence and back TT” Is now a hotly contested event, as is the “Beach bucket slalom”…
    I fear I might just miss the great covid bike bubble, but it’s a price worth paying TBH…

ratherbeintobago

@arcing Anecdotally a tired Isla Beinn went for £511 on eBay the other week 😮

Jordan

@himupstairs do you mind if I ask what you got for the enduro? I have a simillar vintage stumpy that I’m either going to sell complete or frame and shock only and use the parts for a hardtail build. It was fully rebuilt a year ago with new frame bearings and drive train, suspension serviced along with all other moving parts and only had about a dozen rides since.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

Doh, this is cutting both ways though. Nightmare trying to replace the bike you’re selling either used or new.

I’m going to have to pass up a sale as I’d be left with no commuter. Darn.

Was very keen on a £900 Boardman SLR 8.9c on CycleScheme but Halfords sold out months ago.

Anyone want to lend me a bike until shops get stock again…..

MoreCashThanDash

The only one I want rid of at the moment is my track bike – with velodromes shut, I’m guessing I’m in the only market segment in decline?

himupstairs

Jordan, having listed for £300 i sold for £360. Reckon that could easily have been 5-600, maybe more, but I already felt a bit like I was taking the piss! I underestimated demand somewhat..

Ebay would have been more lucrative, as would splitting for parts, but I wanted a quick and easy local sale. Honestly the bike owed me nothing and was pretty worn out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘The 2nd Hand Bike Market is Bonkers at the Moment’ is closed to new replies.