Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • The 24 inch custom build thread
  • sssimon
    Free Member

Commencal are sending me a hanger FOC although is suspect their website will be changed to say they aren’t included.

Was hoping to temporarily used the Carrera wheels with a 10 speed cassette but I’ve found the cassette body is a narrower 7 speed one so would need to lose a cog or two to run the X9 bits we have.

Hoping the fork will arrive tomorrow and we will get to have a play with some bits this weekend and see what works and what needs more thought.

sssimon
    Free Member

PARTS!!!!

Really just the wheels to arrive and we have the guts of a build.

Very impressed with the fork, not had a chance to drop pressures to 30 or 40 psi but will have a play.

sssimon
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XSEgYJ]20170821_195713[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

nicely finished compared to Spinner forks you see OE on hybrids and kids bikes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WHeitM]20170821_200247[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

doing a bit of comparison to see where we need to chop bars and seat post (the white ones pictured have been rejected as they don’t match the ideas in his head!)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XkNVVj]20170821_195130[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

BearBack
    Free Member

Been waiting on short spokes to build up the wheels.. finishing touches to the bike once he wakes up tomorrow, but here’s his 1380g wheelset.
    DT spline 1 straightpull hubs, 24″ Crest mk3 28h rims. Sapim D-light spokes, DT squorx proloc nipples. incl tape and RWS skewers
    [/url]crest24 by jonny lloyd, on Flickr[/img]

Rich_s

*likes!*

dahedd
    Free Member

Lovely stuff on here. Bookmarking this for future use.

BearBack
    Free Member

Done!
    20lbs 8oz

Scott Scale RC Jr frameset
    DT swiss XRC100 fork carbon corn steerer
    Spawn Brood 140mm crank, OneUp 30T
    Saint shifter, Zee mech. XT 11-36t cassette
    FSA gravity light CSI bar, AT edition stem, SL-k post
    SDG Fly Jr saddle
    Crest on DT hubs, Schwalbe Tabletops tubeless.

First youth twoonie race this morning to break it in!

[/url]20170827_093417 by jonny lloyd, on Flickr[/img][/url]20170827_093501 by jonny lloyd, on Flickr[/img]

thanks to Scott, DT and FSA for the parts!

sssimon
    Free Member

Just curious, for those running a 26 inch fork what kinda bb height are your ending up with?

sssimon
    Free Member

bearback, what weight are the tabletops?

Wheels bought off here arrived friday but we were away for the weekend so not much progress. Hubs are sram mth306 and rims are Alex Dp21, by my calculations they are 1800g as they sit. the Hope hubs I have are 220g lighter than the sram hubs so contemplating stripping them and just using the rims.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WQ1cMa]2017-08-25_02-40-37[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

BearBack
    Free Member

tabletops, folding performance casing 605g per
    lightest large volume tyre (2.25) I could find and he’s done well on the 20″ mow joe that hes been shredding for 2 years! Essentially same tread but shorted block height.

BB height with 100mm 26″ forks 11.5″

Garry_Lager

I did a blast build this spring for my 8-now-9 yo, loves it and had some great rides with him. Last week in France we were hiring bikes and I asked for a 24 for the boy, to which the guy expressed surprise and recommended an adult bike. Rolls out a small 650B and he’s absolutely fine on it – he’s quite tall but not remarkably so.

So I’d advise any Dad’s looking at a 24 as the next build to GET ON IT! Don’t leave it too long such that you’re well into their window for riding it .

sssimon
    Free Member

Sitting on the sofa doing the dad maths, suntour chainset £24 posted,NW ring £20 ish, sq taper bb £10…….

Surely the fact I have a spare gxp bb justifies a £80 nx 155mm chainset?

BearBack
    Free Member

Surely the fact I have a spare gxp bb justifies a £80 nx 155mm chainset?

Absolutely!
    probably in the 10-15 quid per 100g weight saving which is worth every penny 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

Still not complete just npbeen too busy with work and school starting back, hopefully be up and running in the next week. Only parts still to sort are the cranks, had hoped to borrow the crank off the 20 for a few months till I can find a deal on the 155mm NX but unfortunately the inner guide contacts the chainstay so will have to think again

The wheels came with a set of moto digger 2.35 which fit well with the build but a 720g each there’s scope for a saving with some schwalbes. The wee man loves the look of the big fat tyres though so we may have to leave them on for a bit and see how he goes

daern
    Free Member

had hoped to borrow the crank off the 20 for a few months till I can find a deal on the 155mm NX but unfortunately the inner guide contacts the chainstay so will have to think again

I was trying to find a similar deal, but NX 155mm cranks seem to be in very short supply at the moment. In the end, I bought from Amazon EU for more or less full price (£90) and was glad I did as they are superb cranks (even allowing for SRAM’s rubbish crank securing system) and have made a huge difference to how the boy can ride his bike. They’re still in stock (just!) at the same price:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BZBTDSC

I guess the sub-£80 deals will appear again, but it was worth the extra £10-15 to get the boy out riding on them before winter (aka 1st September!)

sssimon
    Free Member

Yeah I’m just hesitating as the £350 budget is long gone! Will see how our ebay toy and tat clear out goes over the weekend

daern
    Free Member

Yeah I’m just hesitating as the £350 budget is long gone! Will see how our ebay toy and tat clear out goes over the weekend

You really don’t want to know how badly the budget on the boy’s new bike was abused. Suffice to say that the cranks were the tip of the iceberg here!

Personally, I will write it off against “Wholesome Family Exercise – unlimited budget” and hope that I will be allowed to sleep indoors again soon 🙂

sssimon
    Free Member

I justify it by dividing it between 2 kids and theres always resale value

sssimon
    Free Member

Not much progress we were away on our last tent adventure of the summer and the little 20″ has really got too small so this needs a push once pay day arrives on friday well get cranks ordered.

nice little donation from the classifieds tidies up the disc hose nicely

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y8mHxL]20170904_190209[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

shame theres no nice way of routing the disc hose due to a lack of guides, its going to be a case of drill these out

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y8mGPm]20170904_190243[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

or use two of these

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y9RFrU]20170904_190317[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

The stem on here is an 80mm so definitely needs swapped for a 50 or 60mm. Still loving the look of the big tyre too so we are going to give them a try before spending the £££ on some tubeless Schwalbes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y9REpd]20170904_190421[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Feel free to fire all your queries, ideas or your own builds on here.

This is actually my bike rather than for a kid so I don’t how relevant it is.

24″ Halo rims

I love the massive tyres.

sssimon
    Free Member

Massive amount of complaining about him cramped his 20 was yesterday and how he’s 8 now so he needs gears so………

Bit the bullet this morning and ordered the NX 155mm chainset off CRC, frustrating that I have to buy mail order off them now as up until the wiggle takeover I could walk to their warehouse/shop

Plan for tonight is to sort hoses, cables and cut the bars that way when the chainset arrives we just need to fire it on an index the gears and we are good to go for a family cycle thing that is on in Belfast on Sunday

ssmith1979
    Free Member

If you are struggling with cable routing for hydro discs, I used these on my boy’s 24″ Blast build. They work brilliantly!

jamj1974

I have a Islabike Crieg 24 in good condition if anyone is interested. It’s a 2014 model with both gripshift and GX 10 speed shifters.

I’ll put an advert on here shortly – if no interest, it will be going on eBay.

sssimon
    Free Member

Maiden voyage today and i think we’ve nailed the spec pretty well, the nx crank which i wasn’t sure about really makes it. He’s never had gears before but the x9 shifter nakes sense to him and my initial worries about the elixirs being too sharp were unfounded as he’s got one finger braking sorted.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YMd8Z6]2017-09-23_06-41-10[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

the only issue we’ve had with the build is with the frame itself. I mentioned above that the cable routing wasn’t pleasing me, i even went as far as googling the images of the bikes and checking what commencal had done and discovered that they’ve left off the cable and hose guides on the seat stays! Emailed them to see what the story is.

dirkpitt74

Finally relented and ordered a set of the Superstar 24″ Stan’s wheels for my lads Blast (justified by the fact my daughter will inherit the bike in the next 12 months…).
    They were out of the Switch hubs so upgraded to the Electro hubs for free.
    apparently they also use the new Crest rim (Mk3) which is lighter and wider.
    Seem really good quality:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BMhSRq]IMG_20170926_190122[/url] by Chris Wood, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/YQEisL]IMG_20170926_190140[/url] by Chris Wood, on Flickr

Not weighed them yet, but feel a lot lighter than the original Carrera wheels.

sssimon
    Free Member

Lovely wheels, still keeping an eye out for deals on the Crest rims but pretty happy with the SRAM/Alex wheels we have for now. Amazed at the new found confidence on the 24 inch wheels, I thing the 2.35 Diggers halo too so very reluctant to change it if it isn’t broken. He’s been out doing laps of the hill we live in all week to get used to being in the right gear and how much better his brakes are than the cheap v-brakes on the 20.

Hoping to get him on some trails this weekend and see how we go.

sssimon
    Free Member

Ps; that second pic is messing with my head how the wheel is staying there!

dirkpitt74

Haha yeah just looked at that picture and it does look a bit David Blaine lol.

Got a whole host of upgrades waiting to go on his bike now I have the wheels sorted – will be going 1x as he can’t seem to get his head around a 3x and hydraulic brakes.

sssimon
    Free Member

1×10 here and plenty of range but less to worry about, X9 shifter hasn’t presented any issues either which I had been prepared to swap with the rear mech for a Shimano zee if he struggled

poah
    Free Member

Not weighed them yet, but feel a lot lighter than the original Carrera wheels

Carrera wheels are about 2.2kg, those superstar builds are probably about 1650g at a guess.

dirkpitt74

Carrera wheels are about 2.2kg, those superstar builds are probably about 1650g at a guess.

Quick look at spoke, nipple, hubs and rim weights my calculator recons 1565g – will be interesting to see how close that is.

Rims – 295g each
    Front Hub – 149g
    Rear Hub – 330g
    64 Plain Spokes – 431g
    64 brass nipples – 64g

daern
    Free Member

1×10 here and plenty of range but less to worry about, X9 shifter hasn’t presented any issues either which I had been prepared to swap with the rear mech for a Shimano zee if he struggled

My son’s old Creig 24 was 1×10 with an X9 shifter and he never seemed to run out of gears on it, no matter how hard the terrain was, so I suspect you’ll have enough range 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member
    sssimon
    Free Member

Got a set from chain reaction for £75 with a newsletter sign up code

dirkpitt74

Stuck the Superstar Stan’s build on the scales, looks like I wasn’t far off when I worked it out:

Superstar Stan’s build – super lightweight! by Chris WoodFlickr2BBcode LITE

pushstart
    Free Member

Just sharing my 24″ build.

http://snakesthatbite.blogspot.com/2016/06/24-mtb-build-kona-queso.html

I went with a 415mm axle-to-crown chinese carbon fork — intended for 26″. This ended up being the same (or even a little less) a2c than the stock suspension fork (at least uncompressed — but compressing it seemed unlikely for my son), but I think something a little less than 400mm would probably work even better.

Markie
    Free Member

At the other end of the 24″ wheel weight spectrum…

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘The 24 inch custom build thread’ is closed to new replies.