• This topic has 40 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by nre.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The 2021 Bluebell Topic
  • Usual rules – Native bluebelles in a wild setting nowhere near anyone’s garden…
    Harley Down, Dorset
    HG

Premier Icon richmars

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kQRuJc]IMG_1411[/url]

In Cambridgeshire, with some primroses.

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

bluebells

Premier Icon lowey

Newlands Valley

Premier Icon hopster
    Free Member

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

bluebells

Premier Icon shinton
    Free Member

I came across some whitebells today whitebells

edit:oops didn’t read the rules so these have escaped form a nearby garden. At least I could try out the macro setting on my new camera.

Premier Icon halifaxpete

Premier Icon doomanic

https://www.instagram.com/p/COC9uw6l0gX/
    Queens Wood, Cheltenham

EDIT: how the blinking flip do I post an instabanger?

Premier Icon thelawman
    Free Member

East Shropshire, between Shifnal and Kemberton
    In East Shrops, between Shifnal and Kemberton. The wood also has Wood Anenomes, Marsh Marigold and plenty of Lesser Celandine.
    Camera on the phone doesn’t really do the bluebells justice.

Premier Icon Sandwich

For unknown climate reasons we’re a ways behind things in Suffolk. Here’s his nibs getting in the way.

And small patch doing their best.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

Super pics of this amazing annual occurrence. No pics to add but managed to get to my favourite wood where, alas, they weren’t at their finest. Their aroma was heavenly though so all good.

Keep those pics coming!

Premier Icon Tracey

Seem to have appeared overnight on the local trails.

Premier Icon Alex

A warm and dusty Yat

A warm and dusty Yat

This is normally a field of bluebells, but not so much this year. Combination of frost and no rain maybe. Anyway still a very nice wood to ride through.

Premier Icon jkomo

Off to BPW in a bit, I’ll see if the appropriately named trail has any.

Premier Icon Rio

Chilterns bluebells seem to be pretty poor this year – too much foliage and not enough flowers.

Premier Icon plumber
    Free Member

We had a nice showing in the local woods yesterday

Premier Icon CountZero

They’re just starting to show around here, I’ve got some wild native ones in my garden, aquired a couple of years ago to replace the Spanish ones my folks planted, and those are only just starting to flower – my gorse bush, which I dug up as a tiny little sprout on Fyfield Down above Avebury about three years ago is now nearly a metre high and flowering, with loads of buds ready to open. I might go over to West Woods next weekend, to see what they’re like over there, but I think it’s been too cold, April has been around freezing nearly every night so far.
    Still, I’ve got masses of cowslips, Oxslips, primroses and violets growing all over the garden, and they’re effectively wild, they appeared out of nowhere, just one or two tiny plants, never deliberately planted, and they’re spreading everywhere!
    These were by the side of a lane leading down into Ford, about five miles from Chippenham, where my dad’s side of the family are from; bluebells, wood anemone and celandine. According to Countryfile, lots of wood anemone shows it’s ancient woodland, because they take a very long time to spread, and the woods alongside the Lane are full of them.

Wild plants, in an urban setting, these cowslips literally appeared out of nowhere, about ten years ago, one tiny plant, the other side of the small path I’m standing on, the oxslip to their right appeared a couple of years back – they may be False Oxslip, a cowslip/primrose cross, but they’re successfully spreading, the gorse is just behind, with a new rowan beside that, and there’s a small hawthorn growing in the corner beside the fence along with some self-seeded holly, probably dropped by birds, that hopefully will fill the straggly space left in the hedge by an elder I cut down. The bluebells aren’t visible yet.

Premier Icon BillOddie

Premier Icon DezB

Woods were blanketed today 🙂

Premier Icon benp1

The woods in the South Downs are laden with bluebells, literally miles and miles of them. No pics though 🙁

Premier Icon Poopscoop

null

Pic from Bluebell Hill, near Maidstone, Kent.

Definitely less flowers this year, thought it was just me but I see others are reporting the same.

Bike was laid down very carefully by the way and that track was not walked on or ridden by me.

Premier Icon goldfish24

Here you go then benp, South Downs looking great last weekend.
    Bluebells

Premier Icon Poopscoop

^^Where was that taken on the SDW mate?

Premier Icon goldfish24

Just inside the SDNP near Chichester. Top secret location cos it’s a little woodland near my house and it’s getting increasingly popular!
    But plenty like it in the general area.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Cheers, just wondered as I can’t wait to get down to the SDW again in the Summer and wondered if I’d ridden past that spot before.

I have a huge soft spot for the SDW and surrounding countryside.

Premier Icon benp1

Thanks goldfish

I walk the dog in the woods – loads there. Also bike in the woods and loads there too. It’s a sensory explosion – bluebells and wild garlic!

Premier Icon DezB

My pic with the fallen birch was on the south downs, between South Harting and Compton. Woods there are loaded with bluebells 😊

Premier Icon Poopscoop

^^ Feel “home sick” for the SDW.

Still, I’ll be there soon enough, coughing up a lung and donating some more skin to the Flint Gods.😉

Premier Icon Keando

Bike & Bluebells

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

bb

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

bb

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

bb deer

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

BBARCHER

Premier Icon beej

Bucklebury Common, near Newbury. Took a random trail in the woods and came across swathes of them.

Bluebells in Berkshire

Premier Icon Sandwich

Premier Icon onewheelgood

Premier Icon sparkyrhino

Temple Newsham Leeds,Dog scuttling about in her posh coyt

Bluepoopin

Premier Icon CountZero

Finally managed to get out to West Woods near Marlborough yesterday, nice and sunny when I left home, getting cloudy at Avebury, and really quite overcast at the woods, sadly.
    Still, quite a decent coverage, and got a few photos I’m pleased with.

null

Oh, and just to add, the two shots with the large stones, those are Sarcen stones, and recent research has proved the the outer ring of Trilithons at Stonehenge came from West Woods, and most likely this very spot, it’s the only part of the woods I know of where there are Sarcen stones.

Premier Icon kayak23

Edgehill, Warwickshire

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.