Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)
  • The 2016 Highland Trail 550
  • matt_outandabout

I just read an email from Steve Field, and he makes a good point that it is great to know folk are watching and interested.

It all starts on Saturday.

Who else is taking part?
    Who else is armchair participant?

http://trackleaders.com/highland16

http://www.highlandtrail.net/

cinnamon_girl

Thanks matt. Really good to see so many ladies taking part, shall enjoy following this. 🙂

Anyone from this Parish taking part?

Houns

That’s never been a year?!

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate’s in it, looking to do well.

AlasdairMc

nikk from here is in it this year.

Gary_C

Armchair participant here, a couple of friends are doing it, so following with interest.

matt_outandabout

Anyone from this Parish taking part?

Steve Field is occasional visitor to here…

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m in the group start, looking forwards to it a lot. I’ve enjoyed watching the dots for the last few years but thinking this is going to be a slightly tougher way to experience it!

There are some strong women riding this year for sure. Including Lee Cragie who isn’t on the groups start list but is riding.

postierich
    Free Member

Got a couple of friends doing it Paul and Fi Horabin not sure if they are doing it together and I now know a few chaps from the SouthLakes100 that are having a crack. Next year I will be there!

shandcycles
    Free Member

There are some strong women riding this year for sure. Including Lee Cragie who isn’t on the groups start list but is riding.

I’ve heard she’s just picked up a cracking new bike to ride it. Apparently.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve heard she’s just picked up a cracking new bike to ride it. Apparently.

Oh really Steven? What brand is it. Haha.

How many other Shand’s will be there? I know of Ian B’s Lancia one (he needs someone to respray those new forks for him!)

shandcycles
    Free Member

Only those 2 that I know of. NewRetroTom (last years winner on a Shand) has wimped out of doing it this year. Doing some little race in the States instead 😉

matt_outandabout

😆
    I am liking Lee’s nice greeeeeen colour.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I heard that. Worra lightweight hey 😉

nikk
    Free Member

Itching to start now.

http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/highland-trail-2016-recce.html

New outward section is rubbish…

😀

matt_outandabout

ooh, that new start bit does look good – and has been on ‘the list’ for a while…

ianfitz
    Free Member

I rode the new start section just after Easter. Can confirm that it is really as bad as it looks. Having to deal with a 13km stretch of singletrack was extremely tiresome. Especially as the original start had such a nice section of boggy hike-a-bike. I would have emailed Alan to complain but to top it all there was no F’ing phone reception!

Seriously though there was quite a bit of snow in the gullys then I’m guessing it’s gone now! Still not convinced I’m going to be in fort Augustus in time to get a pizza though…

epicyclo

Before you all start, I would just like to appeal to all you HTers to stop at a decent hour so we dot followers can get a decent night’s sleep.

You might think you’re tired, but you’ve obviously no idea how exhausting it is for us poor folks. There we are, stuck inside avoiding our warm beds just so we can see if your dot has moved another millimetre, and some selfish riders keep going until the small hours. We then have to watch your stationary dot for at least another half hour before we can risk the decision of going to bed.

More exciting than the MotoGP it is. 🙂

But seriously, good luck to you all.

kcal

bloody hell – already!

Cheezpleez

I am sooooo jealous

mt
    Free Member

Can’t wait. Its going to be tough, lack of sleep, where are we now stuff. Got lots of beer and coffee so following from the sofa should not be to painful.

All the very best to those taking part.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If you want to get your dot watching mojo finely tuned then you could practice by following Howard Perkins who doing an ITT and is about to get to Fisherfield

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s one rider out doing it ATM – http://trackleaders.com/highland16i.php?name=Howard_Perkins he’s just at the top of the push up from Inverbroom heading towards Dundonnel. Edit: just beaten to it 😀

I’m in the armchair camp. It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, the route changes have.

AlasdairMc

The new bit feels a lot slower, possibly because there’s a lot of good rolling in the old start – the main challenges were the Devil’s Staircase and the hike a bike down the Abhainn Rath which was only a couple of hours anyway. Or maybe I’m just a lot less fit than I used to be…

rOcKeTdOg

More overtaking than F1 but no changing tyres

matt_outandabout

Did that mean there is corporate sponsorship and dodgy pit lane antics?

whitestone
    Free Member

dodgy pit lane antics

You are allowed to carry a change of bike 🙄

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

What are conditions like up north west? It’s extremely dry here in Fife – couple of days rain in the past 5 weeks or so.

DavidB
    Free Member

I googled Higland to try and come up with a comedy alternative trail, but it is surprising just how many tourist sites have Highland spelt wrong!

Oh and good luck to all this year’s riders. Was it Lee that met us at Contin stores last year?

Huw_IO
    Free Member

I finished an ITT last Thursday, having planned to join the group start originally. Now that I can stay awake for a few hours at a time I wrote some stories about it. The new start is good rolling!

https://topofests.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/a-vision-quest-on-the-highland-trail-part-1/

nikk
    Free Member

Hi Huw! That is funny, I was following behind you by a couple of hours, I got the same “Danny Macaskill” from those DoE kids!

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Got a friend doing it Lars Henning

felltop

Conditions in the North West are getting drier and drier!

sarpullido
    Free Member

Hi, I did it last year and I’m back this year. Rode the first bit to F. Augustus last week and took me nearly 1 hour more. I might not be on time for pizza at F. Augustus but see what happens with the racing chip on.
    Good luck to everyone. It’s been very dry last days.
    Huw, nice to meet you there in Tyndrum. Good luck for your carte-pro in France.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you can’t wait until tomorrow for some spot watching, Chris Hope is attempting a record attempt on the Cairngorm Loop today. Started at 0300.

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/cairngormloop16/?n=1

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Whitestone, not sure that link for opentracking is working correctly

scotroutes

Assuming Chris is just about to drop of the shoulder of Bynack Mor then it’s working for me.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s a direct link from the guy that runs the site. The system works on mobile phone signals (it’s not a SPOT tracker using satellites) so if he’s in an area where there’s no reception then there won’t be an update for a while then everything gets filled in.The last update (zoom in and click on one of the blue dots) was at 0733. Probably won’t get any signal now until he’s somewhere near Braemar.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s updated now, he’s at the Linn of Dee

scotroutes

Which is why some folk on here recommend SPOT trackers every time this subject comes up 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘The 2016 Highland Trail 550’ is closed to new replies.