Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • The 1st ever ST magazine
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Nice to hear some of the story behind the mag! Am also now sober, and less ‘upset’!

😮

boxelder

But come on…. there are seven people banned.. 7. That’s not even double figures! In fact the banned list has never hit double figures… EVER!

8 now you big hairy flange twiddler…..

??

😐

simondbarnes

chuckle @ boxelder 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I remember the conversation with Chipps, Mark, Shaun & Brant on bikemagic where they were discussing the possibility of doing the mag, I also remember a printed promise of the ads to content ratio, one of those things happened 😉
    I still fondly remember the early days, meeting up with some great folk, the ‘characters’, the shear shock of meeting ‘beer’ at Woburn & finding out he was actually just a decent funny guy, sitting on the STW stand at Mayhem 04 & Chipps & Mark not really talking to anyone.

I do miss driving to see ‘ad man matt’ as he is now known, when he run one of the best shops in the business, to pick up a copy of STW, still got issue one, although minus the cover now 🙁

Keep it up guys, the mag & the forum has evolved, but then it always had to to be viable.

Cheers.

ade
    Free Member

For the fellow n00bs (I subscribed around issue 30), this might be a useful bit of background reading:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://Gofar-mtb.com

I chuffin’ love the internet.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member
    simondbarnes

Nothing changes, people still moaning about not getting their magazine on time 🙂

ton

i have bought and still got every single issue.

i am a sad ****…………. 🙁

DoctorRad
    Free Member

OMG – I’m still using this disc caliper on my FSR:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001029185752/www.gofar-mtb.com/Reviews/64.1.html

Do you want a full review now lads?

Cunningly photographed on an inside-out Polaris top, and I think that may indeed be the photoshoot which overheated and broke one of my Lumicycle cans. Ah, those were the days…

Speshpaul

“Have been a subscriber since issue one when 500 was the minimum number of subscribers required to make the whole thing float. I wonder how many there are now.”

Me too, i wonder how many of the original 500 are still subscribing?

Mark

I also remember a printed promise of the ads to content ratio, one of those things happened

Eh? The ad ratio has consistently stayed well below our maximum target. The mag currently has 33% set aside for ads as a maximum. Typically in the other mags you will the ratio is between 45 and 55%. :-p

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i started subscribing on issue 3 or 4; but have copies from issue 2.
    my old mate pete showed me the first issue and i really enjoyed it.
    i stopped my subscription on issue 51 as i found the magazine getting more “140mm hardtaily” instead of the “100mm just bimbling along with the occasional blast” type of riding that i tend to do.

hope that makes sense?

aracer
    Free Member

…or those like me who stopped and then restarted.

Actually, you’re probably also right about the reason I stopped (and considering stopping again), farmer giles. Just don’t really identify with a lot of the stuff in the mag now – is it just turning into “another MTB mag”?

brassneck

Sub no. just under 700, still got them all as insulation in the loft somewhere. I vaguely remember there was a call on the GoFar forum for subs to get things moving, and as I wasn’t married and was childless at that point it seemed worth a punt for £15.

There’s always something worth reading in every issue, that’s good enough for me, plus it keeps this place going.. work would be far less pleasant without it.

Speshpaul

Eh? The ad ratio has consistently stayed well below our maximum target. The mag currently has 33% set aside for ads as a maximum. Typically in the other mags you will the ratio is between 45 and 55%. :-

Wasn’t 25% the figure banded about back in the day for what its worth.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

As per Speshpaul, 25% was the original number, I’m sure it was printed in one of the first magazines to, I’ll see if I can dig it out.
    Cheers.

pistola
    Free Member

Aye, that’s me on the cover of Issue 1.

simondbarnes

Wasn’t 25% the figure banded about back in the day for what its worth.

It was, but the early issues didn’t get close to that, hence them looking really good. You can’t run a magazine without income though.

kcal

yes, I seem to recall touting about 50 copies of the mag round Edinburgh; also my work had sent me, with a hire estate car, down to London and back on the launch weekend – or close to it. Slight detour saw me collect several boxes of mags from Mark on way down, try to flog some of them at the Panasonic trade show I attended, then drop off several boxes round the Lakes on the way back… happy days.

Doctor Rad – hello there fella !!

Callum

ojom
    Free Member

I remeber seeing it in a bike shop in Edinburgh (the one near the junction of Bellevue and East Claremont Street, down the road from Broughton Street)

That’ll be our shop!

markinoxon
    Free Member

Nice thread. That’s it, I’m subscribing. Now what to put in that hipflask? 😀

alanl
    Free Member

I was grabbed by Mark and 2 ladies at one of the Sleepless events at Trentham. IIRC, they were giving out mags at the previous months (6 wks previous?) Red Bull 24hr at W. Brom (forgot the name of the course now!), and signing up people for subs at a reduced rate at trentham, that must have been the 3rd issue.I signed up on the day.
    Christ how time flies. Still subscribing, the mag had a dip a few years ago, when I think it lost its focus, but it is getting a little better again now, though I still think there are some really rubbish articles in it – broken thumb this month – rubbish.

Alan.

psling
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – Member
    Takes me back a bit

If you weren’t so posh that you stayed at ‘the Inn’ you may have got a sneak preview of your copies before they were sent out; winks, touches nose, know what I mean… 😉 8)

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Me, posh? If you say so, but I think you’ll find it’s all relative depending on where in the world you live 😉
    Ahh, Andy, you still in touch? I must make the effort to get out more 🙁

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘The 1st ever ST magazine’ is closed to new replies.