That’s it, I’m retiring from….

Home Forum Chat Forum That’s it, I’m retiring from….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • That’s it, I’m retiring from….
  • sharkbait

…welding.  I’m never going to do a better weld than this – may as well quit while I’m ahead 🙂

Just playing around on some scrap with my £50 arc welder in readiness for welding a little toy together.  Usually my welds are really **** ugly but manage somehow to hold together, but this one almost looks right!!

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

Image isn’t showing for me, even if I log in to my Google account

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

I would really like to see this now.

sharkbait

Try again…

Premier Icon fruitbat
    Subscriber

Looks good. Have you hit it with a 2 lb. hammer for the NDT?

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Could have cleaned the rust off a bit first 🙂

My welding instructor told me I needed to try to concentrate on getting good fusion over making pretty welds. Whatever…I said.

Looks pretty good that.

sharkbait

I’ve whaled on it with the the hammer and it’s going nowhere!

If only they all looked like that – oh well, more practice will help.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Nice.  I want to get one for, well – just because.  It would be a fun skill to have.  Would love to be able to manage that.

50 squids eh… mmm

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

You’ll probably get head hunted by Orange

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Too neat for Orange

Premier Icon stu170
    Subscriber

Looks good, and if it holds that’s the test. I taught myself 6 months ago, playing at work and watching you tube. I’ve learnt that pretty isn’t always a sign of a good weld. Constantly learning new tricks. Check out chuckee2009 on you tube.

Inbred456

We had a good fab shop where I used to work. One way of winding up the welders was to say that welding was just like hot icing. If you could draw a line with a pencil you could mig weld. Stick welding is all together more difficult to get right. That looks decent, good job.

Premier Icon everyone
    Subscriber

You did prep that right? You can’t have a good weld unless your prep is spot on

sharkbait

If you could draw a line with a pencil you could mig weld.

That’s what I heard also!  I think MIG is easier but a machine to stick thicker stuff (I’m mostly dealing with 5-6mm) is pretty expensive – then you need the gas, clean wire etc.

Stick is a lot cheaper, good for thicker stuff and I believe can handle rougher metal.

@ everyone…. I only gave it a quick brush as it’s only a test piece and I was more interested in speed, stick angle and amps.  But you’re dead right, good prep is important.

drnosh

Reminds me.

Got to weld a crack in the cat. on my daughters P 107.

Passed the MOT last week mind you.

Tester just advised that there was a ‘minor’ exhaust gas leak. Said would probably have to fail it next year though.

Hope my welding is as good as that.

One of the most therapeutic things I’ve ever done is TIG welding!

Bought myself a nice DC Lincoln and it’s taken a lot of YouTube and practise but it’s a very rewarding skill to have.

Edukator

More material needed in that weld. It looks like you went a bit too fast especially at the start of the run.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Got to weld a crack in the cat.

Can you weld sausage rolls?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.