Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • mefty
    Free Member

Thanks for the link deviant, but despite reading it I can find no mention of your claim that “between 1978 and 1979 Mr Robinson was credited with causing 523 walk-outs at Longbridge, costing an estimated £200m in lost production”.

Second para after the heading De Lorean

sbob
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Thanks for the link deviant, but despite reading it I can find no mention of your claim that “between 1978 and 1979 Mr Robinson was credited with causing 523 walk-outs at Longbridge, costing an estimated £200m in lost production”.

You posted –

Think about this : According to the BBC, “between 1978 and 1979 Mr Robinson was credited with causing 523 walk-outs at Longbridge, costing an estimated £200m in lost production”.

Why do you want people to think about it when there is no evidence that it’s actually true?

It’s there, under the heading “De Lorean”.
    🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Between 1978 and 1979, when he was sacked, Mr Robinson was credited with causing 523 walk-outs at Longbridge, costing an estimated £200m in lost production.

It appears in the para headed “DeLorean”. While it’s in a BBC article there’s no attribution, so who exactly did the crediting is a bit of a mystery.

zokes
    Free Member

Very ill mannered you should be ashamed.

I’m ashamed 😆

gonefishin
    Free Member

ernie, second paragraph after the Delorean heading. I don’t know if that makes it true or not but is certainly in the report.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Once Thatcher brought the unions to heel, British Leyland went from strength to strength.

yep, and just look at our thriving coal industry. And the banks, never been in a better state, Thank Thatcher for deregulation.

rattrap
    Free Member

It’s rarely heard why the Unions were in such a position of strength that they “needed bringing down”. Most of British industry was suffering from a lack of investment.

OR perhaps just as accurately, the managers were unable to invest in newer, modern & more efficient machinery, as the unions threatened to go on strike because it would have led to their members being out of a job.

See computer operated CNC machines vs hand operated lathes for an example.

Face the facts, the unions went from protecting the working man to being a protection racket which held the country to ransom – British industry was destroyed by the unions. Maggie restored sanity.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Have to say, it really is a terrible shame that Margaret Thatcher died in her home this morning.

Instead of in a Brighton Hotel 30 years ago.

Moses

Her method of dealing with the unions, like that of dealing with the Argentines, was pure confrontation. Negotiation would have benefitted everyone.

In both cases, her reputation increased, and everyone else lost.
    As above, where are our steelworks and Brit Leyland now? Argentina still wants the Falklands and half of the North is still suffering. Her policies of selling off assets means that buying a home in the south is almost impossible for those on lower incomes, so private landlords are doing well.
    Her policies are poisoning society thirty years later

wwaswas

Gawker has an interesting take on her time in power;

http://gawker.com/5994007/margaret-thatcher-is-dead

rkk01
    Free Member

Well, I’ll spare myself the embarrasment of behaving disgracefully (as I always thought I would)

Safe to say – no obituary will be complete without the word “polarising”

Does anyone have a link to the “Dancing Shoes” thread … 😉

sbob
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

And the banks, never been in a better state, Thank Thatcher for deregulation.

I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Gordon Brown, who also called for less regulation of the banks. ❓

Mind you, he also called for more regulation of the banks, but then I’m guessing he was tired and emotional.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s there, under the heading “De Lorean”.

Thanks. I did miss it completely 🙂

What I was interested in was the dates. The period could have been as little as a year which would have equated to well over one walkout per day. Even if it was over two years, then that would still represent one walkout almost every single day. Suspiciously unlikely imo. No work being done at all for one or two years at BL would have grabbed the headlines.

sbob
    Free Member

Moses – Member

Her method of dealing with the unions, like that of dealing with the Argentines, was pure confrontation. Negotiation would have benefitted everyone.

In both cases, her reputation increased, and everyone else lost.
    As above, where are our steelworks and Brit Leyland now? Argentina still wants the Falklands and half of the North is still suffering. Her policies of selling off assets means that buying a home in the south is almost impossible for those on lower incomes, so private landlords are doing well.
    Her policies are poisoning society thirty years later

Although there are many policies of hers I don’t agree with, I do believe that the UK would have been much worse off if she hadn’t faced up to the unions.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

She stood up for Britain in like the last leftie Gov. And she fought our corner in Europe. How many miners (ex miners) on here to get hot under the collar about her, She put the Great back into Britain. Now there is oil in Falklands she did us proud there too.

franksinatra

I was born in 78 so although alive during her time in office, I was not aware of her impact.

Reading up today a few things stuck me:

-Seems the unions did far more damage to the miners than she did, they were already in trouble whilst Labour was still in government.
    -Scargill didn’t have a legal mandate for strike action as he had already lost two votes so didn’t have a third!
    -She voted for some very progressive policies such as making homosexuality legal, she was one of very few tories who voted for this

I’m not belittleing the impact she had on peoples lives but I suspect she also did a lot of good.

What has really struck me is the reaction, people seem more delighted about her death than they were about the death of Bin Laden, Hussein, Gadaffi etc.

To celebrate the death of anybody’s mother is pretty poor form.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How many miners (ex miners) on here to get hot under the collar about her

So far I’ve noticed one on this thread.

crazy-legs

Replace “Twitter” with “forums” and it pretty much sums up this thread.
    Could maybe do with a segment to say trolling as well though.

wwaswas

Harry Styles tweeted an RIP here’s what the ‘younger generation’ think;

stewartc
    Free Member

Very classy post Seosamh77, been working on that humdinger for a while?

ransos
    Free Member

OR perhaps just as accurately, the managers were unable to invest in newer, modern & more efficient machinery, as the unions threatened to go on strike because it would have led to their members being out of a job.

Then explain why, once the unions were neutered, these captains of industry failed to turn their companies around.

IanMunro
    Free Member

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/northern-britain-already-hammered-2013040865062

In fairness to the younger generation, I’ve no idea who Harry Styles is either.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Whitegoodman – I marvel at your insight into the worth of mining communities, and simply have to say “well done sir”. Actually, no, you’re a bit of a COCKMONKEY really.
    Oh,another ex miner here. Have to say,the anticipation of her death, for me at least, was better then the reality. Disappointing to the end, eh Maggie?

hora
    Free Member

Agree. Poor form indeed. If I did that my Mother would tell me off.

you’re a bit of a COCKMONKEY really.

If I remember rightly you threatened me on a previous ‘Thatcher’ thread.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

A day of unconfined joy– she was an icon for free market vandalism– a week of partying starts now !!!

ransos
    Free Member

Ordinarily, I’d agree. But Mark Thatcher?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Obama – “The world has lost a great champion of freedom”… Someone xerox him a copy of Section 28 please! “…it is forbidden to promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship”.

from my facebook feed, can’t be bothered to check the alleged facts but if its true i’m a bit disappointed in obama’s team that told him to say that

maxlite
    Free Member

Sad she has died…but

Maggie Thatcher ………. snatcher. (Add the appropriate subject, be it milk, grants or jobs!)

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Have to say, it really is a terrible shame that Margaret Thatcher died in her home this morning.

Instead of in a Brighton Hotel 30 years ago.

yep– thats all that was wrong with the brighton bomb–10lb light…

franksinatra

Ordinarily, I’d agree. But Mark Thatcher?

He was not an only child

ransos
    Free Member

from my facebook feed, can’t be bothered to check the alleged facts but if its true i’m a bit disappointed in obama’s team that told him to say that

Especially given her support for Pinochet and Apartheid…

nick1962
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Section/Clause 28 yet? Especially those who bang on in the religion threads.There was a deeply disturbing undercurrent of hate propogated by the Tories as I recall.

Supported by David Cameronsome until recently…
    In 2000, David Cameron (at that time an unelected Conservative party member) repeatedly attacked the Labour government’s plans to abolish Section 28, publicly criticising then-Prime Minister Tony Blair as being “anti-family” and accused him of wanting the “promotion of homosexuality in schools”.[46] In 2003, once Cameron had been elected as Conservative MP for Witney, he continued to support Section 28.[47] As the Labour government were determined to remove Section 28 from law, Cameron voted in favour of a Conservative amendment that retained certain aspects of the clause, which gay rights campaigners described as “Section 28 by the back door”.[48]

ransos
    Free Member

He was not an only child

I wasn’t being entirely serious.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Now there is oil in Falklands she did us proud there too.

I know this is likely to come as a shock, but there was oil there in the 1980’s too. Obviously, it is clear that she only did what she did because the population of the Falklands apparently want to be British, and it had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that ownership of this piece of real estate actually gives GB inc rights to part of Antartica and all the natural resources that may lie there.

hora
    Free Member

Berm bandit. You do realise that if someone takes a part of your land off you and you do nothing about it it sets a dangerous precedence on too many levels.

If someone took one of the French colonies from France- do you think they’d just protest profusely to the UN?

The difference is strength of leadership. Would another UK leader have appeased and come to a face-saving (to a degree) arrangement?

Is your advise to a lad in a playground bullying to give the lad what he wants and become his flunky?

franksinatra

I wasn’t being entirely serious.

oops 😳

bencooper
    Free Member

which gay rights campaigners described as “Section 28 by the back door”.[48]

😀

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Yes hora, threatening old me, I’m a bugger for it.

nick1962
    Free Member

bencooper

Shame on you.I’m wondering if the Wiki contributor did that on purpose.

sbob
    Free Member

hora – Member

If someone took one of the French colonies from France- do you think they’d just protest profusely to the UN?

That may not be the best example… 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.