Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • That which has been seen cannot be undone – retro Unimog camper on ebay
  • CountZero

Grrrrrrrrrrr! 😡
    You’re more than welcome, glad it worked ok! 😀

matt_outandabout – Member
    Ooooo, new form name to mogmoonter?

😆

matt_outandabout

In fact there is nothing cooler than a BV206. They swim, they have tracks and are just generally awesome.

A couple of years ago, Grandtully…

Hagglands BV206 at Grandtully by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

rickmeister

McMogMoonter, do it !

You will then be able to go on wood foraging camping expeditions to all corners of your fifedom…

Then there is the tourist “Art – Fari” around your Holzhausen display ending in the coffee shop of course….

What could possibly go wrong ?

mark90
    Free Member

The BV was the only thing that could make it across the bog to rescue this Range Rover…..

Northwind

ElShalimo – Member

are they from the Stallone Judge Dredd film?

There’s one of those up in Dingwall, weirdly enough. Cal-Hab Justice!

CountZero

Dammit, now I want one of those BV206’s! I’ve found this: http://www.milmac.se/index.php?page=cdi-2-7&hl=usa

Bv 206 mb 2.7 cdiCommon Rail Diesel 200 hp with a 5 speed automatic gearboxTotal Refurbished and upgraded BV 206 to today’s standardsTurbo, intercooler, auto, tiptronic, diesel heater webasto and extra noice insulated.Staff cabin or platform with accessories. Widened body. Everything new.Better then when it left the factory Hägglunds.Note Grammar chairs reverse camera and stereo, etc..

Hope the lottery comes up tomorrow night…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Nearly bought a BV206 a few years ago. There is a place up by Morpeth on the A1 had one for sale. Would have been of no use bar a bit of nostalgia though.
    Not to mention I would have had nowhere to keep it or have been able to keep it in Diesel.
    Never mind….

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Awesome vehicles.

I guess the problem is that if you get your unimog stuck somewhere, you’ll need a chinook to get you out!

wwaswas

Passed this on my morning ride today;

taxed through to the end of December so it’s still working.

matt_outandabout

Well, do we have a mc_mog?

piemonster

We have been wondering?

fourbanger
    Free Member

We have MOHs where I’m working now that can run on train tracks for shunting tankers around the facility. Pretty cool to see one trundling by .

rickmeister

Everyday transport, whats not to like ?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFxN-b5v8s[/video]

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i was talking to a fella in a festival who had one of those massive russian bastards as his camper.
    it was so so so cool. i brought up the inevitable subject of fuel costs, since it was a 12 litre v8 and he laughed and said it was better than free.
    he had got a waste carrier licence and got paid to collect fuel from garages sorting out people who have put the wrong fuel in. turns out those sneaky russians have made engines that will run on diesel, petrol or paraffin or indeed a mix of all three

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Well, do we have a mc_mog?

When I went to view it the vendor had just received a cheque for it. It’s bargain status was confirmed as the buyer was a Yorkshireman.

Meantime, I’ve been reading up on them and for the limited mileage I’d use it for it would be viable. Low insurance and no road tax too for an early one. I still would go for one with the insulated body to make some sort of camper rather than the flat bed utility truck.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I had a 404s flat bed many years ago, you could buy them at auction for a few hundred pounds – mine wouldn’t start and I paid £240.00, parts were super expensive to get. I put a Perkins 6354 engine in mine for a cop sprayer conversion.

Stick to your Land Rover ambulance camper!

itstig

The new price is probably taking into account the amount of petrol he used driving it to Sheffield!

scud
    Free Member

I was reading through this thread yesterday and thought you might be interested in a few pics of my old Land Rover 101 called “Spanky” (this was due to a defective fuel pump that had to be hit repeatedly with a spanner), we used to drive her all round Morocco then down into West Africa take friends and the odd paying punter.

It was an original GS body with canvas top, but we welded on the basic roof rack and swing-aways on the back for spare wheels, got a sailmaker to stitch in windows to the rear canvas and a metal roof to the front cab for security, along with a rack for 4 jerry cans down the left hand side.

Sorry about the picture quality, they are scanned from original old proper photos, I attached one of a Pinzgauer that we always used to run into and I coveted.

It was a great truck and good times, but it was unreliable, sitting on top of the engine with no air con in 110 degrees was a good weight loss plan and it had a 3.5lt V8 engine originally where you could visibly watch the fuel gauge go down as you drove (later swapped for a Perkins diesel).

tomhoward

Don’t do it McMogter! If you do, your ability to use the caps key will all but disappear. (Based on the last 2 ebay ads for that one!)

Great thread this, would love a ‘Mog camper!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Love the 101fc – can relate to the 3.5v8 fuel gauge syndrome.

I had a quarter tank and was just tuning the carb on the drive and checking the vac advance was working.

Then it cut out.

Thought id turned the carbs too far ….oh no its empty of fuel :/

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Scud, that’s a proper truck for a proper overland adventure.

I had a pal up in Orkney who had a radio bodied 101, it was a great piece of kit. Unlike his IIA forward control very few parts were interchangeable between regular Land Rover stuff and the 101. I think he went for an LPG conversion instead of fitting a big Perkins diesel.

scud
    Free Member

We had the 101 going back 13-14 years ago when i was in my early 20’s, I seem to remember the french had started to see LPG as a good proposition, but over here there wasn’t many places selling it, I think vehicles like this are ripe for LPG conversions.

Was great fun while it lasted though, if i had the time and money these days for serious use over in Africe it would be a Land Cruiser every time, earlyish one before they got too many fancy electrics. We were talking about Toyotas with a german guy who used to have 2 Unimogs, a kitted out Nissan Patrol and a Hilux and he said the Hilux was by far the most reliable and the “choice of African warlords everywhere”!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Suckered in then .

Toyota can see merit in a loss leader . Land rover cut their supply when they found they were often not getting paid for vehicles.( source land rover international mag a couple months back)

Had the misfortune to drive an african hilux-old or new – they are nothing like european spec. – much closer to a land rover than you would think.

But it does serve to pepetuate a myth quite well

scud
    Free Member

Trail Rate, i have driven a lot of Land Rovers of a certain age, you have to have a love for them, as i bit like classic VW’s, there were so many “traits” like the heaters or for a broad guy like me, the door just being to close to the steering wheel etc, that I truly believe that the Land Cruiser is by far the best vehicle for the job, with the Nissan Patrol close behind, you want to be able to know when you set off that the vehicle is reliable.

Land Rovers problem seems to have been, that they knew they had a product that people had an affection for and that was truly great off road, but they seemed to have rested on their laurels and stopped any sort of innovation really, a lot of the traits in the original 50’/60’s LR’s where still present when they finished production this year (?) of the Defender, all their innovation seems to have been put into the top end vehicles I feel, which have some amazingingly clever electronic gizmos but are no good when travelling to places where the mechanics don’t have a laptop and a electronic engineers degree.

The Hilux is what it is, a very simple workhorse that just works, the African spec will never be the same, but most things could be repaired with a hammer and bubblegum which is what suits an African mechanic.

itstig

I messaged the seller of the mog asking what he had done to the vehicle in a month to add three grand to the price. He replied (sort of) with blank message!

ampthill

Here is/was my off road camper. It might not be right pretty but it got 9 of use from here to Tanzania

Christmas (2 of 3) by John Clinch, on Flickr

Christmas (1 of 3) by John Clinch, on Flickr

africa (1 of 1) by John Clinch, on Flickr

africa dom0046.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

Africa (1 of 1) by John Clinch, on Flickr

Christmas (3 of 3) by John Clinch, on Flickr

For many of us that trip burst the Unimog dream. In every way the Unimog is the better vehicle. But in some ways that was the problem

We crossed the Norhern sahara during a freezing winter. In Algeria you you have to register in and out of every major town for safety.

We stopped outside a Police Station next to a brand new Unimog camper. Even the 80s it must have cost over £60,000. Our MKP2BMO cost £2000. A large annoyed German came out of the Police Station and went back to get more paper work out his vehicle.

We got into the Police station and were immediatly shown through the desk to a comfortable warm seating area. We were all given hot sweet mint tea and engaged in friendly banter. Some one collected our passports and took them away. Tea finished and glad to have got warm our passports were returned. Some one did all the paper work for us. We headed back out through the desk. To our amazement the German was till waiting to be served!!!

Where ever we went in our lorry people got that we were travelling in the back of an open lorry, the way they travelled

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not disputing the land cruiser or the patrol- but id be equally happy taking a 3.9efi rangie with me.

Agree defender is an aquired taste – the african spec hilux isnt much better in that respect.

scud
    Free Member

Ampthill, love those pics, i drove a Bedford from Portsmouth to Cape Town with a mates 72 Land Rover with us and 14 people in all, although some dropped out and we picced up some strays on the way, still the journey of a lifetime and it took us 7 1/2 months, by the end of it we were so skint we were exchanging the pots and pans off the truck for fuel. Sad to think that many of the countries in West and Central Africa we passed through are no longer open to tourists.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats cool as **** ampthill.

Before y time but looks very much like a bullnose merc. Another african and middle east stable.

scud
    Free Member

I think Trail Rat the problem is that the 3.9efi is a great vehicle, but once a vehicle becomes a “standard” like the Land Cruiser in places like Africa, Australia etc, it is getting the parts for other vehicles, we had a friend in the UK who had travelled extensively in Africa and we left him with a load of catalogues and contact telephone numbers for parts suppliers so that when (not if) we broke down, if it was terminal he could hopefully get parts to us.

Don’t get me wrong, i still love seeing a well kitted out Land Rover or early Range Rover as much as the next geek, but those little traits and niggles that are laughed about over a beer in the UK, become major bugbears (sp.?) when you have to live with them day in day out hundreds of miles from anywhere don’t they?

trail_rat
    Free Member

From what ive seen in the last 5 years is that either old hilux’ and land cruisers dont exist in the west african countries i work in or they only have relitively new ones – loads of prados and mid 90s cruisers and patrols . Very little in the way old older stuff

Head out of port harcourt on the road to onni and there is a series land rover grave yard an many old series 2 and een rangies kicking about as recovery vehicles. – ill dig out aome photos later

Middle east love their prados and old yank trucks – saw more broncos in kuwait than i did in california !

ampthill

Scud

We really regret not carrying onto Cap Town. It would have been so easy. I agree about the Countries we that have now shut or are now in a worse state, tragic

We sold the lorry and spares for $9000 in Tanzania. That was roughly what they’d cots but still a good outcome

Trail Rat

we saw loads of those old Mercs. They kept that shape for the developing world long after they were flat fronted in the West. They seemed to be the truck of choice with the locals

scud
    Free Member

I remember stopping at one of the very few light controlled junctions we saw in Nigeria, looked down to see someone trying to unbolt the headlights while we were blaitantly sitting in the vehicle! It is nearly 16 years since i last travelled down through West Africa, so i guess a lot has changed really, was always amazed though at the ingenuity of african mechanics.

trail_rat
    Free Member

West african mechanics scare me , by far the scariest car ive ever been in from a mechanic point of view was our guinean base mechanics pug 405 saloon. Not sure there was any shock absorbers or a single bush left in the rear suspension …. If i hadnt seen the wheels before we got in id have assumed we were a wheel or 2 short at the back end. Going round a round about and im sure the rear end was going to carry on straight.

Sme awesome trips you guys have been on but i wouldnt fancy doing those trips these days.

Like i said ill dig out some photos later but i have a shot of one of our hiluxes that still has a bullet hole in the dash where it came in the front quarterlight through the dash and out the scuttle from a job down in warri.

And if i an find it – a 3.9efi rangy pulling an l200 bus out of a bus sized hole that opened up on the road.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

More pics ampthill!

Lionheart
    Free Member

Worst thread ever, worse than a Fat Bike thread, at least I can afford and have space for one of those. Blinking annoyed a trader beat McMooter to it. I could have lived the dream via his thread!

mick_r

Ampthill – so are you the same John Clinch that we know through Sophie & Nick Wood?

All these 4x4s have got me thinking about Iceland again. We did the south this summer, but decided venturing inland would be better done with a cheap 4×4 that we shipped there / back and then sold(?) after the trip. All the hire 4x4s were a bit wimpy, stupid expensive and not insured during river crossings – which could get even more expensive ….

Mick (of the homebuilt bikes) 🙂

ampthill

Yes Mike that’s me. I asked Sophie on that trip but she said no. Apparently she didn’t really believe that we would go

I use to have keen 4wd driving mates and wondered about getting a ferry with them to Iceland

Sadly they no longer own a suitable vehicle.

Your idea certainly sounds worth costing. However I’d want to know a few things before spending any money

One would be about river crossing risks as looking back Sue and I did some stupid walking through rivers in New Zealand back in the day

The other is how much traffic roads get. Its probably be fine but if its really remote 1 vehicle is a bit of a risk. Ironically the sahara was so full of people we were never ever nervous. Just after we got into the desert we came across a Toyota with a puncture and stopped to help. The lorry had an airline which was very popular with other vehicles

Anyway I think within 10 minutes 4 vehicles has stopped and the puncture repaired, so we never ever felt on our own. The repairing the puncture was amazing. some one glue on a piece of inner tube with contact adhesive. But rather than letting it dry they set it on fire. Just as the flames were dieing they put on the patch and then jacked another 4 wd drive up with the patch under the jack to act as press

I had picked up some of your threads on here. I sent Sophie a link to one where you helped make an adult balance bike

Ps final thought the guy who was chief mechanic on that trip and still runs a Land Rover lives in Preston. So I might be able to put you in touch if your buying a 4wd and want advice. Although I don’t think there is anything very magic about buying a 4wd

trail_rat
    Free Member

The repairing the puncture was amazing. some one glue on a piece of inner tube with contact adhesive. But rather than letting it dry they set it on fire. Just as the flames were dieing they put on the patch

The best way – works well on bikes too

Mick loud and clear om the iceland trip . Once my landy is rebuilt thats top on my list – holds much more llure than africa

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘That which has been seen cannot be undone – retro Unimog camper on ebay’ is closed to new replies.