• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by petec.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • that time of year again – what weedkiller?
  • sadexpunk

been trawling over old threads on the subject but havent found anything recent. old threads seemed to be split between gallup 360 and simple salt mixed with water.

if it makes any difference, this is for those annoying little weeds that seem to spread all over gravel. easy to pull out but theres millions of them, so easier just to nuke em.

one of the ‘advantages’ mentioned with gallup seemed to be that it doesnt destroy the root, just whats growing at the time, but to me thatd be a disadvantage, i want to blitz the whole lot never to return. unrealistic maybe, but what will give me best results, salt or the strong stuff?

thanks

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve just bought some Roundup in a spray bottle from Asda for that very purpose.
    Worked well for me last year
    Cheers
    Steve

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar

Glyphosate.

Like buying generic drugs, supermarket own-brands are half the price of Round-Up etc and it’s the same stuff. (The Tesco one I bought last year is actually stronger.)

sadexpunk

how do you know its stronger? what figures should i look out for on the bottle/packet?

stumpyjon

About the only stuff you can get now is Glyphosate based. It is systemic so takes a few weeks to work on broad leaf weeds. The ones that promise results very quickly aren’t so great, they just burn the leaves off. Creating your own formulations is technicak illegal, just buy something Glyphosate based and follow the instructions.

Cougar

how do you know its stronger? what figures should i look out for on the bottle/packet?

First line on the back of the bottle says, “MAPP 13848 contains 90g/l glphosate in a soluble solution” (as opposed to all those other kinds of solution I suppose). This is Tesco’s own brand. I can’t remember what the big names are now but they were slightly lower (I think maybe 80g/l?). I bought a concentrated bottle and a hand-pump spray bottle thing (says “2L pressure sprayer” on it), works out considerably cheaper than buying poxy little ‘ready to use’ spray bottles.

As Jon says, it takes a couple of weeks to work, but work it does.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Can you still get Pathclear ? It has glyphosate to kill the weeds and a second chemical that stays in the soil up to 6 months and hence keeps the path clear. Glyphosate is gone as soon as it hits soil (binds to it and can’t be absorbed by the plant).

jonnyrockymountain

As link above rosate

neilnevill
    Free Member

Rosate is glyphosate.

smiffy

“Creating your own formulations is technicak illegal”

Which law might this me breaking?

mark90
    Free Member

Another Rosate / glyphosate user here. I have the 5L container and mix up in a sprayer. Bought when we had a load of ivy to nuke. Still have loads left as it goes a long way.

Pathclear is good and does seem to keep weeds suppressed for longer, but is expensive. I failed to bulk buy whatever was the active ingredient that stays in the ground for up to 6 months, forget what it is now.

Rockape63
    Free Member

looking at the web site, there are quite a few different options available. How good they are is a different matter! Clicky

jekkyl

It seems that over the winter most of my rear lawn is now moss. I’m thinking leave and cultivate it, (worry about it when I retire). It’s soft for the kids to land on and doesn’t need cutting every other week!
    any drawbacks?

g5604
    Free Member

glyphosate is carcinogenic…. would not touch it.

petec
    Free Member

glyphosate is carcinogenic…. would not touch it.

no it’s not

here

or indeed here

But yes, Rosate is where it’s at. Works wonders. Just don’t expect immediate results

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘that time of year again – what weedkiller?’ is closed to new replies.