Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That there London ….. Am I too polite ?
  • voodoo_chile

People in the smoke seem to be getting ruder …why act like that to me not the right thing to do

binners

Its because they’re considerably richer than you

brakes
    Free Member

it’s the heat.

Northwind

Every time I’m down there I seem to cause chaos by being polite to folks, it’s as outlandish and confusing as keeping a 2 second gap on the M6

voodoo_chile

North wind , I feel the same but feel like inviting offenders for a quick 3minute spar at a venue of their choice

Great commuting machines everywhere ,cut down bars and single speed de riguer

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, that is London innit.

voodoo_chile

Feel like crocodile Dundee every time I go down there now

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Its because they’re considerably richer faster than you

You snooze you lose

Lunch is for wimps

Time is money

Get out of the sodding way you tourist t**t

patriotpro
    Free Member

just set your whippet on em

neilwheel
    Free Member

Anonymity breeds indifference.

voodoo_chile

I threw my best greggs sausage roll at them

hooli

Feel like crocodile Dundee every time I go down there now

I chuckled at that 😀

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

It’s London. You don’t have to be there for very long before you turn into a ****.

camo16
    Free Member

It’s London. You don’t have to be there for very long before you turn into a ****.

True enough. I turned into a **** about 300 feet from Euston Station sometime back in ’04. Been one ever since. 🙁

whippersnapper
    Free Member

being a **** who lives here I find the rude ones are the home-counties commuters who are stressed from their travels. The ***** who live here seem quite relaxed to me. Must have been here too long. ****s!

40mpg

I have a ‘London walk’ which is considerably faster than the way I walk anywhere else. In fact I even manage to ‘swerve’ around people and objects.

It took a bit of mastering and I almost tottered over on a few early swerves, and got a bit of dust on the shoulder of my pinstripe from a brush with a lamp post once, but I can make the train with absolute precision now.

The key is to never, ever make eye contact with anyone by looking just above their head. The biggest problem is tourists walking backwards to get big ben / tower bridge / the shard in shot.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve seen a lot of kindness given to strangers in London. When you’re here every day you see it quite often. Seats offered to pregnant ladies, help carrying luggage up stairs etc.

It can be a tough city to live in and the best way to deal with it is just to protect yourself by putting on an outer shell. That often gets interpreted as rudeness IME. + these events aren’t done in a showy way so can get missed by the casual observer.

I think it’s a shame when people from outside London accuse us of being rude, I don’t think it reflects the masses. Of course there are anecdotes and situations, but it’s not normal. It’s just a very busy city with a lot of energy so once in a while you get some conflict… you’re bound to with 12m+ people

CountZero

Speaking as someone who has been in London six or seven times in the last eighteen months, I honestly can’t say I find people in London any different to those in Bristol, Bath, or any other city.
    But then, when dealing with people in shops, restaurants, museums, galleries, etc, I always find that being polite and cheerful always results in the other person responding in the same way.
    I’m rarely disappointed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP it must be all the foreigners, b***dy rude 😉

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I find the rude ones are the home-counties commuters who are stressed from their travels. The ***** who live here seem quite relaxed to me.

This.

Londoners are the finest people on earth, lawd luv ya!
    (Hypocrital ex-Londoner now living out in the sticks)

Chew
    Free Member

I’ve seen a lot of kindness given to strangers in London. When you’re here every day you see it quite often. Seats offered to pregnant ladies, help carrying luggage up stairs etc

They’re the visiting Northerners 😉

voodoo_chile

Reminder to self …speed walk with elbows out and nodding to random people whilst on my phone and drinking a crapafrapaponceyino_ ….

camo16
    Free Member

They’re the visiting Northerners

I don’t know, man, Northerners can be ****s too!

In fact, the biggest **** I’ve met came from Stoke. 😯

voodoo_chile

Brooess, all London folk apart from your good self

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That there London ….. Am I too polite ?’ is closed to new replies.