Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • That "surplus" Giraffe.
  • DrJ

Has any of turned up in any value burgers yet?

If getting hold of it means pinching it out from under the noses of hungry lions, I’m guessing that Iceland will stick to Romanian horses for the time being…

binners

What’ve they done with the hide? Make a good stair carpet that.

slimjim78
    Free Member

When they fed the lions, I wonder if they said “are you having a giraffe?”

Im torn. Yes I find it hard to swallow (very sinewy) that there wasnt a happier ending to be found, but that makes me a massive hypocrite as I eat meat everyday and I have virtually no idea of its origin (or treament).

In fact, anyone that eats meat needs to keep quiet. Hypocrites!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

Has any of turned up in any value burgers yet?

Greggs were going to make a specula edition pie with a tall covering crust. The lions weren’t keen though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a specula edition pie

😯

binners

I really should get some proper work done, but it seemed rude not too…….

😀

jon1973
    Free Member

Very good. But I would only ever eat Giraffe burgers from M&S.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice work binbins 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@dan1980 – you speak the sense, man!

@ Binners – go to the top of the class 😀

Northwind

DrJ – Member

Yeah, the “etc” that stood in for parts of the original text that I didn’t quote.

No, the “etc” which you tried to have stand in for something that’s not in the original text.

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe you should …

Try looking up welfare reports.

Notter
    Free Member

I do find it interesting that the “…several zoos which put in last-ditch offers to take Marius” only did so at the eleventh hour so to speak, and yet they are the zoos that are being lauded? Where were their offers earlier when it’s more likely something else could have been arranged?

Bit of positive publicity from these zoos perhaps in full knowledge that they were never going to have to take the giraffe?

Or is that a cynical step too far….?

wl
    Free Member

Seems like the Danes had a good all-round solution to me. Giraffe’s aren’t even endangered, are they? I reckon it’s a far more sensible approach than one informed by over-sentimentalisation. The media and social media overreaction was inevitable though.

zokes
    Free Member

If I were to have a vasectomy, I’d lie still while the nice nurse gave me an injection, and not risk breaking my neck after being shot with a tranquiliser.

So, no veterinary attention should ever be given to an animal that might fall whilst being anaesthetised? What a queer thought.

You’re going to have o do better than that to explain why killing a perfectly healthy animal was good for its welfare. This is exactly the sort of logic that says we should kill badgers because they apparently spread TB to cows, rather than vaccinate cows.

MrsToast
    Free Member

So, no veterinary attention should ever be given to an animal that might fall whilst being anaesthetised? What a queer thought

Apparently giraffes are very tricky to anaesthetise (so zoo vets tend to do it as a last resort), and castration can cause behavioural issues. You also can’t have more than one male giraffe in a group, because they get all lairy and competitive over the females. The fights can be quite brutal and lead to broken necks/limbs when they fall (and also look inappropriately funny).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKVYAqtKBVI[/video]

I guess it’s a bit like domestic cattle – you don’t need males in the same kind of numbers as females to maintain a captive population.

DrJ

You’re going to have o do better than that to explain why killing a perfectly healthy animal was good for its welfare

No I’m not, because as I already explained, it’s a matter of welfare of the species that is at issue, not one individual animal.

zokes
    Free Member

No I’m not, because as I already explained, it’s a matter of welfare of the species that is at issue, not one individual animal.

No, it isn’t. Sterilising the animal wouldn’t have made one jot of difference to it or its species. As I said before any argument to the contrary is akin to thinking culling badgers will solve bovine TB.

Cougar

I’m sure neutering the giraffe would have achieved the same outcome

I read on one of the linked articles that it’s not that simple, there are “problems” with neutering giraffes. Aside from catching the buggers and requiring a ladder I’m not sure what those problems are (behavioural difficulties?), but for whatever reason it’d seem that this wasn’t a viable option.

Cougar

Also,

The elephant in the room that we routinely slaughter animals for food is a very good point. No-one gets bent out of shape that poor old flossie had to be sliced and diced in order for us to have our lamb tikka, so why the double standards?

As previously discussed I’m not sure as I’m wholly comfortable with the idea of making it a public spectacle, that seems in bad taste to me; but on the flipside, if it makes people think about where their food comes from then (as a smug veggie) that’s perhaps not entirely a bad thing. Poor kids, traumatised by seeing an animal be slaughtered, better take them to McDonald’s to cheer them up.

binners

Maybe its about potential self-esteem issues?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One giraffe gets killed and people get upset.

Hundreds of animals are routinely kept in inappropriate conditions in zoos around the world – the silence is largely deafening.

Headlines, headlines…..

DrJ

As I said before any argument to the contrary is akin to thinking culling badgers will solve bovine TB.

Yes, you said it before. Made no sense last time, either.

richmtb

Aside from the possibly inappropriate public spectacle I don’t really see the problem.

Zoo’s are entirely artificial, the populations of the zoos need to be managed. So long as they deal with them without cruelty then how they manage the animals is up to them.

We slaughter thousands of young animals for meat everyday. Is the giraffe more important because it has nice eye-lashes?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I recently worked out that no less than 3000 chickens have to die every SECOND to feed human demand.

I have no idea if my math(s?) is right. Seemed plausable at the time..

bigjim
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘That "surplus" Giraffe.’ is closed to new replies.