Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • That Stephen Gately thread…
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

The original thread was a little distasteful and showed a few of our members are narrow minded and/or have a sick sense of humour (though it could be said most of the UK have a similar one). Dragging it back up again and inviting more of the same – utterly stupid.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

But comedy and offensive-ness are subjective and intimately related to context.

And this is an internet forum. Just not worth getting worked up over (although there seems to be a nunber of folks who like to).

Hey ho 😎

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You just "know" Cheeky. Don't worry, you'll understand one day.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

LOL

Always good to see a patronizing response in place of anything vaguely rationale.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why is it ok to be offensive on an Internet forum … a very lame cop out?

B BOb
    Why would I be embarassed about what you said? Surely you should be they are your words after all?
    You seem to think words are not offensive yet you seem annoyed by me posting your own words … interesting are you learning yet?

stumpy01

I did wonder if anyone would get the "it's only words" reference.

It took me a couple of seconds & then when I noticed it…….I wasn't sure if I should mention that I recognise it as being a Boyzone song. I'm not a fan, honest.

hora
    Free Member

If in life the chap had stuck his neck out, built a career on offending others or shock-jock etc then to a degree in death he could expect the same. However he didnt offend anyone did he? His sexuality shouldnt even be discussed, it should be the merits of him as a person not a tag.

Imagine when a soap star dies we all discuss how manly and straight he was- make jokes about his hetrosexuality.

Just dont get why people think its ok to do this. Someone like Jade Goody was lampooned for many many reasons, none were to do with her sexuality were they.

GrahamS

I suspect the fact that he was so generally inoffensive and little known meant that the typical post-mortem jokes only really had one possible topic.

It's basically going to be references to him being gay, really bad puns or a combination of both.

Personally, while it may be offensive, I don't find it any more offensive than picking on any other particular trait of the subject (i.e. ginger, fat, short, tall, bald, Welsh etc etc)

BoardinBob

Why is it ok to be offensive on an Internet forum … a very lame cop out?

B BOb
    Why would I be embarassed about what you said? Surely you should be they are your words after all?
    You seem to think words are not offensive yet you seem annoyed by me posting your own words … interesting are you learning yet?

This is a genuine question, are you a bit mentally challenged? Did you bother at all to read my posts in between spitting feathers.

Words by Boyzone

Smile, an everlasting smile
    A smile can bring you near to me
    Don't ever let me find you gone
    Cause that would bring a tear to me
    This world has lost it's glory
    Lets start a brand new story
    Now, my love
    You think that I don't even mean
    A single word I say…
    It's only words
    And words are all I have
    To take your heart away
    Talk, in everlasting words
    And dedicate them all, to me
    And I will give you all my life
    I'm here if you should call to me
    a single word I say…
    CHORUS, repeat
    Da da da da da da da
    Da da da da da da da da
    Da da da da da da da da
    Da da da da da da da da
    This world has lost it's glory
    Let's start a brand new story
    Now, my love
    a single word I say…

Do you see what I did there?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Am i the only one brave enough to say it?

The guy had an unbelievably large mouth. Watch the videos. It must be some kind of record. Amazingly large mouth is all i have to add to this thread……

Hairychested
    Free Member

His sexuality has never been an issue for me, his singing was. Better than mine, that's easy, but still awful. R.I.S.* Stephen.
    * Rest In Silence

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You want to check out the thread on mlehworld if you want offensiveness

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

but I honestly thought that this was a grown up forum, not a mouthpiece for narrow-minded bigots

Where on earth did you get that idea from?

mark_b
    Free Member

But comedy and offensive-ness are subjective and intimately related to context.

And this is an internet forum. Just not worth getting worked up over (although there seems to be a nunber of folks who like to).

I'm still failing to grasp the idea that somehow expressing offensive views on the internet is ok 'because it's just the internet'.

Olly
    Free Member

but I honestly thought that this was a grown up forum, not a mouthpiece for narrow-minded bigots.

that would be where youve gone wrong mf

though i do agree with you

MrSmith
    Free Member

somebody famous of little talent has died.
    whoever gives a toss apart from the immediate family and friends needs to reassess their priorities and perhaps interact with real people a bit more.

DrJ

However he didnt offend anyone did he?

You don't find it offensive that a no-mark lives in luxury? I do.

Someone like Jade Goody was lampooned for many many reasons, none were to do with her sexuality were they

She was lampooned for many reasons like that she was fat and thick, neither of which were any more her own doing than his sexuality

grumm
    Free Member

whoever gives a toss apart from the immediate family and friends needs to reassess their priorities and perhaps interact with real people a bit more.

I can't say I am in any way upset about him dying as I didn't know him or care for his music, but I still find sniggering schoolboys making unfunny homophobic jokes about him dying a little tasteless.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well said Grumm.

You don't find it offensive that a no-mark lives in luxury? I do.

Why? He did his little bit – he was fortunate to be part of a band which was – rightly or wrongly – famous for a while and made himself a bit of money – hardly a reason to be offended.

firestarter
    Free Member

i think its a shame that the soldiers getting killed weekly doesnt cause as much outrage as a few tasteless jokes about a shit singer dying ;-( yes he is young but the last 4 soldiers to die were 23,20,24 and 21

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i think its a shame that the soldiers getting killed weekly doesnt cause as much outrage

Which is like comparing scratching to yellow.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Scratching FTW. Yellow is rubbish.

ransos
    Free Member

think its a shame that the soldiers getting killed weekly doesnt cause as much outrage as a few tasteless jokes about a shit singer dying

Why don't you post a few tasteless jokes about it? It's only the internet, after all.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Come on, there's somewhat of a history of pop/rock stars dying unexpectedly in rather amusing circumstances after overindulgence in various aspects of the superstar lifestyle.

For example I don't think that the death of Micheal Hutchence would have been any more amusing if he was gay, it was however bloody funny in its own right cause he died having a fancy Wnak with a rope tied around his neck…

Now, if it turns out that Gately died in an innocent manner, rather than choking on his own vomit (or something else) after snorting lines of charlie, then I'll gladly eat my hat, however I'm willing to bet his death was part of a monumental act of stupidity on his own behalf, in which case there's no doubt its a laughing matter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Zulu – you miss the point of the OP – had your example argument been correct I would have to agree with you. But my point was that he was being held up to ridicule because of his sexuality and not because he got utterly wasted on whatever drink/drugs cocktail he took which brought on his demise.

Dobbo

I think it was disgraceful when that poor chap Rod Hull died and people kept on trying to tell him the score was 2-1. 😥

hora
    Free Member

somebody famous of little talent has died.

Jesus Sweet child of mine. I actually agree with what mrSmith says 🙄

project
    Free Member

The multi millionaire queer pop singer in a boy band was found dead, after bringing back a freind from a club, with his husband.

…………………………………………………..

Stephen Gately,the talented,rich pop star from Boyzone a boy band,sadly died at the weekend,He was found dead,by his partner,and a male freind.

Police report there are no suspicious circumstances.

Apologies for the use of the word queer,
    and as i said yesterday on the Stephen Gateley thread,

Stephen Gateley RIP.

Now which few words sell papers

Junkyard
    Free Member

This is a genuine question, are you a bit mentally challenged?

Fortunately I am not mentally challenged by you. Perhaps if your argument/s got a bit more sophisticated than insults I would be. So far its a no from me 😆

project
    Free Member

Stephen died of Natural causes,according to BBC today.

theflatboy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I received a STW warning for being abused by French Juan. There are some wierd thinking/people here.

classic case of juan rule for some, one rule for others.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Words by Boyzone

I hate to sound picky, but it's actually by The Bee Gees… 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ flatboy !

…… although I never realised that it against stw rules to be abused by French Juan 😕

tankslapper
    Free Member

As the OP I was shocked by Stephen's demise tbh – no matter what his personal life he always came across as a genuine bloke. After the first few responses I gave up on what people were saying.

Still, that's chat forums

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

Although I haven't read the thread in question (I'll get onto it now), I feel let down by the lack of bannings for such vile distasteful postings. Considering the architects of the fictional DoLittle/Lanesra show down were thrown into exile for 11months and and four weeks for indulging themselves in the creation of late night entertainment for the homophobic untermensch of STW, I expect bannings and rickockulous and insulting notices from the mod to issue forthwith.

If not, I fear I shall arrive at similar shocking conclusions as the esteemed Doctor.

Thank you.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I could'nt stand their music personally but I'm sorry to hear of his death. Try and understand how it felt for those close to him, like it was your own brother or sister. A life taken.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here's thing, and there's really no way of getting around it. Homosexuality is a 'minority sport' (hopefully that should be a fairy benign metaphor). It's not common in the population and consequently there will always be sections of the majority who fear or hate those they see as being different. And different it is – doesn't matter what your politics are, you really can't get away from the fact that instances of homosexuality in the human race are relatively speaking low, otherwise we sort of wouldn't have the human race. Now being different IMO is no reason for prejudice. On the other hand, I think we are, evolutionarily speaking, a long way as a species from being able to universally tolerate people that are different. Which is a shame.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Beautifully worded Gee. Live and let live.

tankslapper
    Free Member

We're still tribal with a thin veneer of civilization Gee

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘That Stephen Gately thread…’ is closed to new replies.