Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • That Stanton 29er
  • mattjg
    Free Member

It’s right pretty in’t it?

I love my Yelli Screamy for it’s slack front and snappy rear. Tho I’m an XC/trail rider not a hucker. The Yelli’s weak point is it’s a strong frame and a tad harsh for long rides. No snap there.

Not bothered about the Stanton’s (marginally) steeper HA … ETT is within 2mm, that’s no biggie … the question is am I really going to notice the steeper seat tube and the extra 10mm (or more .. the BB may be higher) in the chain stays?

(What’s the worst that can happen .. drop 500 quid, transfer parts, if I don’t get on with it sell it for 300?)

MoreCashThanDash

Can I hope that you get it in my size and that you don’t like it?

slackalice
    Free Member

Anyone know what and who the track is that accompanies the descent please?

Frankers
    Free Member

Is it much different to a Solaris?

z1ppy

Lovely looking bike in the flesh, especially in that green.

I’d consider it, if I needed to replace my 29er HT, for the same reasons as Mattg

martinh
    Free Member

The Stanton is marginally slacker than the Yelli, those figures are with a 100mm fork. With a 120 I expect the SA will be about the same. You will notice the chainstays, it will be slightly less poppable but gain in high speed stability

You will also notice the weight.

If the Stanton had been around a year ago I would have been tempted by it instead of the Surface. Darn sight cheaper.

martinh
    Free Member

Yes, it’s slacker than a Solaris, maybe marginally lighter

z1ppy

You’ll notice the weight?

But the Yelli’s no feather weight, noted as weighing 4Lbs 9 , Stanton is 4 Lbs 5 (medium) so probably very similar in large, if not the same as it and the Cotic.

matt_outandabout

I just like that green..,

mattjg
    Free Member

@martinh you have a Surface? Also tempted by those – seem short in ETT tho.

I’d probably try 100mm on a Sherpa, I don’t really need all the 120mm I run on my M Yelli, and it’s what Stanton suggest is optimal.

Yeah side by side (120mm) it would be a tiny bit slacker than the Yelli. Again I’m happy to lose a little of that by running 100mm.

mattjg
    Free Member

You’ll notice the weight?

But the Yelli’s no feather weight, noted as weighing 4Lbs 9 , Stanton is 4 Lbs 5 (medium) so probably very similar in large, if not the same as it and the Cotic.

Handy side by side there thanks. Yelli weight doesn’t bother me (I race occasionally but for fun not podium) so to know the Stanton is comparable is useful. I looked at Nimble 9 a few times but do believe that’s a bit heavier.

martinh
    Free Member

I do have an L (19.5″) Surface, ETT 24.5 which is pretty similar to the Stanton. If you compare the 17s, then yes, the Surface looks short, but they also do an 18.5 which is slightly longer.

From what you say about travel then the Stanton sounds like a better fit for you as it’s 100-120, where as the Surface is 120-140. For me the Surface is for those days where I want travel and lots of it.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah fair summary I think – I’m XC/trail rather than trail/huck.

hmmmmmm.

sillyoldman

BB is really tall on them both eh?

remoterob
    Free Member

Has anyone seen one in “Shadow Gray”, or know how dark that colour is?

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah that occurred to me too.

Have mailed asking for a pic.

letmetalktomark

I’ve one on pre order.

Will be going rigid with a Kinesis IX fork 🙂

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Probably the same as the Slackline 853 grey:

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Won’t it go round corners? The vid only shows it travelling in a straight line, hugging the ground…

torquil
    Free Member

It’s a pretty looking bike for sure but I can’t be the only one that noticed they missed out all the good, hard, techy riding from the top of the descent by sneaking down the railtrack! For a start that’s wasting one of the best bits on Snowdon after putting in the effort of the climb and it doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence in the bike.

goodgrief
    Free Member

read the “making of” article

darrenspink
    Free Member

Looks great as do all his bikes. Would love to have a switchback, best of luck to him as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

a green 29er hardtail? you need this

remoterob
    Free Member

That’s rigid…

mattjg
    Free Member

re the grey option, yes it’s the same as the Slackline 853 (source: Dan the man himself).

remoterob
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, love the green but have a bizarre hatred of white forks…grey is a bit too safe…

mattjg
    Free Member

safe? nah. sinister.

packer
    Free Member

BB drop on the Sherpa is 50mm (I checked with Stanton), versus 55mm on a Solaris, so not that different.

sillyoldman

Kona Honzo has 65mm BB drop on a 120mm fork, Zealous Division is 55mm on a 120, Canfield YS is 62mm on a 100mm fork, and Genesis High latitudes and Fortitudes both have a 65mm drop, so given that the Sherpa is 50mm on a sagged 100mm fork, it’s comparatively high. Solaris is also fairly tall on anything over a 100mm fork.

mattjg
    Free Member

Does BB drop mean vertical distance the BB centre is below the axel centre(s), assuming bike on a flat plane?

By eye, 120mm fork, the chainstays on my Yelli slope noticeably upwards from the BB, much more than the Sherpas’ appear to.

sillyoldman

Matt – yes. Drop from the axle line to centre of BB.

The Stanton has dynamic geometry quoted (taking sag into account), perhaps the others don’t and so their actual BB drops are greater than those quoted?

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s usual l to quote dynamic, I believe. The Yelli stats on the Canfield site are,I’m sure.

brant
    Free Member

High BB means shorter chainstays in a point-to-point sense.
    But actual wheelbase ends up longer. It’s a geometric confusion sometimes 🙂

50mm BB drop on a Parkwood/Titus Fireline, with a topped out 120mm fork. BB would drop 1/3rd of the sag, so that’d be about 60mm BB drop when you are on it.

4lb 3oz for a Parkwood in 16in btw…

bikeneil
    Free Member

a green 29er hardtail? you need this

That’s not a great looking bike. IMO of course.

takisawa2

Loving this chrome plated Nimble9…

Want. 🙂

My next bike I thinks.

nordofjura
    Free Member

takisawa,
    i got this e-mail from charlie yesterday: reduced nimble 9 from charliethebikemonger

mattjg
    Free Member

@nordofjura wish you hadn’t posted that

@taki you’ll love it

lots of threads on MTBR about the N9 (it’s a Yelli in steel) – but usually there are two hundred quid more than that

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘That Stanton 29er’ is closed to new replies.