Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)
  • That Sick Bicycle Co Pinion gearbox bike
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

That moment when a post goes way out of its depth. Ben is more niche than these guys could dream of being.

Cool story. “I’m in the industry and I’ve never heard of them.. I’m not missing much” is a surprising and arrogant statement imo- it’s a funny way to throw shade on another company who have arguably had a significant media presence in the last 12 months, I’m sure he’s a big deal in his niche industry though. It’s staggering why so many people won’t entertain something different in this supposedly progressive sport and it’s poor to see that attitude from someone so respected if I’m led to believe the lovely brown nosing of your post there.

The same attitude crops up when ppl mention Brewdog. Two guys who now own a billion £ company whilst all around people are falling over themselves to take the piss. I’m sure they’re losing sleep about that.

thepodge
    Free Member

Brewdog are a pretty shitty company though, exploiting the people who made them big and using their cash to crush smaller businesses.

mick_r

Yeah it is a cool story – Ben MAKES stuff. He doesn’t just create a “media presence” on the back of a small quantity of stuff made by others.

Other than head angle and media guff, I struggle to see how Sick is any different to the many many other bike “companies” that have done that.

scottfitz
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21Kab12]IMG-20171002-WA0112[/url] by Southern Enduro / QECP Trail Collective, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21KaaDv]IMG-20171002-WA0113[/url] by Southern Enduro / QECP Trail Collective, on Flickr

A couple more with me in for scale, I’m 5’11 and the frame is a large.

RustyNissanPrairie

I think the best anti factory/anti industry approach i’ve seen in the bike world was when S&M bikes/Chris Moeller first started in bmx in an era of nylon race gear.
    I don’t think the **** you attitude works in mtb it all gets a bit diluted by the techy geekiness of geometry/materials/components etc rather than the simplicity of bmx and it’s ‘street’ origins.
    The prices tend to be higher for mtb’s so you do want the company support behind it rather than a fu attitude.

I think the companies that strike the balance between being ‘hardcore/anti factory/rider owned’ are people like Curtis, BTR, Brooklyn (when they were in business) etc – and also to a degree are Transition. They all have the anti factory image, produce good designs and have good after sales support.

nickhit3
    Free Member

“Brewdog are a pretty shitty company though, exploiting the people who made them big and using their cash to crush smaller businesses”

I rest my case. Ffs STW. I’m done haha.

crankrider
    Free Member

The guys defending them here are missing the point that most people have raised and are trying to explain yet again that it’s because people ‘don’t understand’ or are ‘negative’ but are avoiding the obvious – the owners behaviour, like Donald trump supporters.

What do you think about how they conduct themselves? you can maintain the marketing ethos without behaving so badly to others. – it’s at the point where if you made an order, it didn’t arrive, no email response from them that you would just leave it out of fear of reprisal and public shaming.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cool story. “I’m in the industry and I’ve never heard of them.. I’m not missing much” is a surprising and arrogant statement imo

Possibly, yes. But ‘the industry is broken and we’re here to fix it, we’re sticking it to the man’ is also a rather arrogant statement. I’ve heard that before too 😉

I still haven’t worked out what is broken about the bike industry that they’re going to fix, and how.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I have no issue with how they conduct themselves. It’s their choice and I’ve not seen anything without a tongue firmly in their cheek. Should they just bend over and take all the hate? Is that your solution?

Twice now something has been brought up about a ‘missing tshirt’ which when I watched a live video they hosted- as they update most days- was resolved with good humor, they customer in question was as far as his responses showed, was happy. Public shaming is a hell of an allegation. Got any sources there?

scottfitz
    Free Member

The guys defending them here are missing the point that most people have raised and are trying to explain yet again that it’s because people ‘don’t understand’ or are ‘negative’ but are avoiding the obvious – the owners behaviour, like Donald trump supporters.

It’s very easy to criticise people for following the dream, putting their head above the parapet. Like any new business they need to find their place in the market.

They appear to be as easy target for internet bullies but when they stand up for themselves the internet bullies don’t like it.

I like their products and pleased they are confident in what they do, try some new ideas and mix new ideas with old ideas.

crankrider
    Free Member

Plenty of screen dumps from slagging matches they have been involved in posted on instagram – check Facebook out, recent meltdown over a 1 star review from a different customer who surprisingly also waited 3 months for something to not arrive and had no communication – response is to call him out publicly on Facebook and instagram live video.

It’s just not good way to conduct yourself as a person let alone a business that is meant to be providing a product and therefore support down the line.

BruceWee

I remember seeing a post where they said the aim of their marketing campaign was to piss off STW users.

Seems to be working.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Cranked, you lost your vallient support there by comparing supporters of the guys to ‘Donald Trump supporters’

Nicely done. Smh.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve not seen anything without a tongue firmly in their cheek

Ahh…finally the Edinburgh defense.

a significant media presence in the last 12 months

Similar to Harvey Weinstein

I’m sure he’s a big deal in his niche industry

The niche industry of making custom bicycles from steel….err sound familiar?

doing something about the issues in the ‘industry’

Outsource manufacture-check
    Direct sales-check
    Fashion/image led-check
    Tearing up the rulebook they are.
    I’m sure there are enough middle aged ‘rebels’ sticking it to ‘the man’ and ‘keeping it real’ out there to finance their dream.
    If you want a bike that actually has all the qualities they aspire to (minus all the bullsh1t)….go and see Tam and Burf instead.

crankrider
    Free Member

That’s fair enough and clever marketing, I don’t doubt that- it’s been fun watching people froth at the mouth over their designs and some of the crap talk, what doesn’t have to go with that is treating people like crap.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hang on. Is this another project by HebTrouCo or whatever?

crankrider
    Free Member

Nickhit3 – I’m not after support or otherwise?

lots of similarities though, no? People following something ‘new’ despite the bad behaviour and crap talk, everybody rallying behind them because ‘the industry and squares’ called them and supporters dickheads – yea, no similarities at all.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The Sick Bikes blokes recorded a ‘The HTK Podcast’ last night, maybe have a listen to that once available and judge for yourselves. I think it will be up later today

(Maybe check out those podcasts anyway, I hadn’t heard of them before so downloaded a few and started listening to the first one with Cy Turner of Cotic bikes on my way to work. Found it really interesting)

I’m still not regretting jumping in and putting my money down for one of their frames 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

eddiebaby – Member
    Hang on. Is this another project by HebTrouCo or whatever?

Quite different. As far as I know everyone who has worked with them is still happy. And perhaps they are being accused of being all mouth and absolutely no trousers whatsoever 🙂

mickmcd
    Free Member

anyone on here had a go at doing what they do there are plenty of actual business owners who would quite happily tell a certain percentage of customers where to **** go shove it if they knew it wouldn’t damage their halo

nickhit3
    Free Member

This place. What a shit show.

wwaswas

I’m still not regretting jumping in and putting my money down for one of their frames

yeah, but you haven;t got the frame yet 😉

My 2p – they’re doing it a bit differently people will either like that or not. If enough people like them and their products deliver the ride that people want then they’ll carry on in business and make a living out of it, if not then they’ll be ex-bike company owners and will try something else. I’m old enough now not to get too agitated at either prospect.

I’d like to try one of their frames at some point but for the riding I do they’re too long and slack.

thepodge
    Free Member

nickhit3 –

“Brewdog are a pretty shitty company though, exploiting the people who made them big and using their cash to crush smaller businesses”

I rest my case. Ffs STW. I’m done haha.[/quote]

I have no idea what you are on about but I think I’m happy to not know.

I wont be buying anything from SBC because it seems much the same can be had easier from somewhere else, I’m sure they don’t care much like Planet X don’t care and Trek don’t care.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    IMG-20171002-WA0112 by Southern Enduro / QECP Trail Collective, on Flickr

IMG-20171002-WA0113 by Southern Enduro / QECP Trail Collective, on Flickr

A couple more with me in for scale, I’m 5’11 and the frame is a large.

Bike looks sweet.

greyspoke
    Free Member

It’s a business model. In some sectors it is all about having a brand image and marketing angle (to appeal to punters) and appearing innovative disruptive etc. (to appeal to investors) – even if your product or service is quite similar to everyone else’s. That’s a bit tough if you are doing something very traditional like making bikes out of welded steel tubing, but these guys seem to be having a go.

Also, a small business does not need to appeal a bit to a lot of people, it needs to appeal a lot to a small number of people so they will pay a high premium price.

coomber
    Free Member

Criticising a bike company for outsourcing their handmade frames, to a very well respected UK frame builder, is frankly bizzare. And how could they be anything other than direct sales on the number and prices?

If I had the money I’d be interested in one, same as BTR and similar.

Rubber_Buccaneer

wwaswas – Member
    yeah, but you haven;t got the frame yet

Levels of regret can go up as well as down 😀

I know two people that have ridden and liked the Gnarcissist a lot. My own experience was only from the car park to the Peaslake Stores so not much to go on but further fuelled my enthusiasm. Scott up there^ rode it then ordered a Ti version (with a proper length seat tube by the looks). All this suggests I’m going to be happy.

Right now the whole thing is a titanium framed, gearbox driven wet dream to me and some of you lot are like my mum knocking on the door telling me it’s time for school 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

I wont be buying anything from SBC

There’s only one SBC.
    http://www.standardbyke.com/

andyrm
    Free Member

They’re a modern, disruptive, web based business who’s product just happens to be bikes and associated lines.

They trade on being disruptive, noisy and then work on an arbitrage basis, like many other smart, modern companies. Yes it’s different, yes they’re doing things in a very non-traditional way, but that’s probably a good thing. The bike “industry” is massively outdated in it’s working practices and mindset, hence why it’s in such a shit state financially, and one of the big problems is the way it puts “industry veterans” on a pedestal just because they’ve been around a long time.

I reckon it’s great to see more fresh thinking, disruptive approaches from guys who’ve clearly learned the marketing, branding and technical smarts in other sectors.

As for STW approval or otherwise, you have to admit, there is a disproportionately grumpy/cynical/self effacing vibe a lot of the time on here, so probably aren’t target market. That’s just knowing your target audience.

Speeder

There really is a lot to like about them – they talk a lot of sense if you ignore the hyperbole and that gearboxed Brooklyn facsimile render looks like it could be very interesting.

Before pointing wagging fingers in their direction just have a look at the Urban Dictionary definition of Singletrackworld – not exactly a glowing report is it?

They may be a little reactionary and not to everyone’s tate but they’re punching well above their weight with pretty limited resources and are getting a lot of coverage. Whether they manage to make a meaningful contribution to the sport remains to be seen but they’re certainly here and the ire isn’t really necessary.

If you can’t say anything nice or at least constructive keep it to yourself.

weeksy

Why ? I never understand that. If someone releases a product and people don’t like it, why can they not say so ?

crankrider
    Free Member

andyrm – Member

They’re a modern, disruptive, web based business who’s product just happens to be bikes and associated lines

Not doubting that – but do you need to treat the public / customers like dirt along with this? I dont think so, if anything by treating customers and the public better how could people criticise other than to moan about a business making a product they dont like?

Anybody know the reason their invite to steel is real demo was cancelled?

Gotama
    Free Member

Criticising a bike company for outsourcing their handmade frames, to a very well respected UK frame builder, is frankly bizzare.

I thought with the gnarcassist that the frame builder was providing oversight which led me to think they were welding the frames themselves or at least it wasn’t the frame builder doing them. Quite possibly wrong though.

Scott – how does the bike ride? I had a long hardtail and whilst it massively improved stability through the rough stuff there was something not quite right about it. Could have been the length ( I have a G13 so not afraid of long reach) coupled with a hardtail characteristics or, more likely, there wasn’t enough stack height. It was efficient at going quickly down hill but it wasn’t fun if that makes sense.

davosaurusrex

Being a Worthing local I know a number of riders who know them, not heard anything bad but then I haven’t asked. I actually joined Instagram last night to see what the fuss was about (and found someone has nicked my username although he appears to be a Scandinavian skater with a nice tattoo so I’m just going to bask in the reflected glory). I couldn’t find the vids of customer slagging but they were doing a live Q&A session which I watched for a bit. To be honest I thought they seemed articulate and it was quite interesting. I was all prepared for them to be obnoxious bellends so I felt slightly cheated.

Not sure I would have admitted not believing in the stuff I was paid to train to others as the taller one did, especially as he made it blatantly obvious where he works for his day job. But I only have the one job to rely on so what would I know.

What does but me off is the streams of fanboi circle jerking posts on FB, make me feel slightly nauseous and a bit embarrassed for the Sick bike boys. I’m going to guess they feel the same way as they posted a GIF of the vomiting scene from Team America in response to one of the particularly fawning posts. Teenage boys and their hormones eh?

Anyway, Mick at Sunshine Cycles on Rowlands Road was the original punk rock Worthing bike business owner!

kayla1
    Free Member

Roots! I’ve always wanted a Shorty.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Anybody know the reason their invite to steel is real demo was cancelled?

yes

Before pointing wagging fingers in their direction just have a look at the Urban Dictionary definition of Singletrackworld –

ck off i dont have a boring job in IT 🙂 and its inaccurate no where does it mention the obligment to put smileys at the end of every sentence

Speeder

weeksy – Member
    Why ? I never understand that. If someone releases a product and people don’t like it, why can they not say so ?

I’m as guilty as anyone of being reactionary but there’s a big difference between talking sh*t between friends about something and posting it in a public forum like this. Just imagine if you’d developed a product you thought was great and it got the kicking the first Gnarsicist did when it came up on here. It’d hurt and these guys aren’t afraid to push back. For me it broke an unwritten aesthetic rule that a tt shouldn’t drop below the direct line to the dropout and for me at least it’d be waaay too long but it was an interesting experiment. The carbon Ti thing was also a bit of a mess but at least they’re trying and it’s very brave to do it in the public eye.

As stated above their steel bikes are all handmade in the UK by a very well respected builder (and they’ve sorted out the TT issue 😀 ) so what’s not to like there.

I do wish they’d get a slightly thicker skin and wind it in a bit on the social media as they’ve been filling up my feed to the point I’ve unfollowed them but then I don’t think that’ll bother them as I’m not really their target market.

jordanchaos
    Free Member

So, here I am,

Lots of questions about our business practices and, a few witty comments.

“Why is (was the ti bike) it so cheap?”

Our policy is a flat percentage rate on top of the base cost of product. Pinion like us so our gearboxes cost less. We took some production time off a company that forfeited their deposit as they didn’t complete their orders. The titanium companies is making a lot of frames for larger and smaller UK and US companies. We deal direct to consumer we batch buy and our waste is low. Notice we don’t do flash sales, christmas sales boxing day sales, its a Wednesday in June sales. Flat rate pricing all the time. Be Transparent.

The crux is, sorry guys you are getting ripped off by bike companies most of the time. It disappointed me and I wanted to change it.

My background is in Lean Manufacturing, specifically quality normally around ISO9001-2008 auditing. Aside from that we have an industrial designer, a part time modeling engineer and a framebulder with 20 years teaching experience. Ive been in global manufacturing quality for 10 years working with 3M and for Lockheed martin and BAE systems. Releasing an untested, uncertified bike is reckless at best, manslaughter at worst.

The chances are if you didn’t like one of our designs, it wasn’t aimed at you, luckily there is thousands of other manufacturers. Who make bikes for you. Should you need guidance, I will happily point you in the direction of the right fit.

The new bike looks like a brooklyn – yup one of my favorite and sadly departed brands. Its really obvious guys I’m wearing a brooklyn machine works t-shirt in nearly every photo of me. Its hardly CSI Miami.I wanted to build this bike, I designed it, we’re gonna build it. I like it, thats all that matters.

“I don’t like your social media” – Simply unfollow, its not for you.

“I watched your live stream and I didn’t…” – Stop watching the live stream its not for you

“I went to your page and…” STOP STOP FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS HOLY STOP.

we are not the same as other brands, I do not have a gun to your head forcing you to buy a bike. You don’t have to like how I do business. Thats capitalism folks. If you guys are right soon we’ll be bankrupt, so lucky I have a day job!

For more clarity there is a good interview in Cranked or you should see an interview with Me and Chipps sometime next year in singletrack as we are working together (on something else) in March.

I’ll field any reasonable questions,

Jordan
    Owner, Sick!

P.S if you think I’m nasty, read your own horrible comments guys, I’m a dad, working a full time job and making bicycles in my spare time.

wwaswas

It’s no good coming on here being articulate and reasonable!

People want toys out of prams, rants, poor spelling and grammar.

How can they pigeonhole a brand with qualified owners who know what they’re doing and have a clear brand strategy as a couple of wide boys with access to a welding torch and an edgy social media presence when you come out with posts like that!

Stop it, stop it now!

😉

crankrider
    Free Member

Thats a well mannered and well thought through response and exactly what people want to see from you guys, your own personalality and the companies image backed up by a level of professionalism but….

P.S if you think I’m nasty, read your own horrible comments guys, I’m a dad, working a full time job and making bicycles in my spare time.

What does you being a dad and having a job have to do with you treating some of your customers and public like assholes? – Its not right to call out a disgruntled customer because he has left a bad review as his product ordered months ago has not arrived.

Fighting with people online about their opinion of you or your products is one thing, especially if they are being personal which is not acceptable but calling out people who have given you their money because they like what you do is a really bad show – they bought into and wanted to wear your brand – If you dont deliver they have every right to be pissed, deal with it by saying sorry and going above and beyond to sort the issue not by slagging them off in public – even if it is a postal issue or an issue out of your hands its your issue as you sold the item; your problem until they have what they paid for.

You guys are a new approach to making bikes, you have your own thing going on thats for sure but you dont need treat people like assholes and seemingly laugh about it.

You are going to get to the point that you call people out so aggressively when you receive any criticism that people will be scared to do so, do you really want that – Is that not the opposite of your ‘no negativity’ statement?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘That Sick Bicycle Co Pinion gearbox bike’ is closed to new replies.