Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • That Shand bike on the home page…
  • shermer75
    Free Member

….really is absolutely gorgeous. I lust after mightily. However, there are two things that are niggling me and I was wondering what people thought about them:

– The Rohloff grip shift. Although I have never owned a Rohloff I am prepared to believe they are amazing, but the position of that grip shift- isn’t that going to get annoying? I’ve gotten really used to having my hand on the brake and the shifter at the same time, and like the spoilt child I am I’m hesitant about going back…

– No bosses for mudguards or rack. Now I do get this, it is one of the reasons why the Stoater has such clean lines but…. aren’t they also quite useful? I am very much staring my middle age right in the face now so maybe one of the consequences of that is that I now value practicality over aesthetics and that is all there is to it…

franksinatra

Not sure what pictures you are looking at but i can see bossed on the back for a rack or mudguards

somafunk

if you want mudguard/rack mounts i’m sure Steven would fit them , you may have problems getting mudguards large enough to clear the tyres though.

I sometimes run Clement X-Plor MSO 40mm tyres on my Kinesis tripster and there is very little clearance with the 50mm (largest) version of the SKS Blumenthal mudguards.

EDIT : according to the website there are rack mounts fitted as you can see them on the outside of the rear seat stays.

core

scaredypants

I hope he makes a really versatile bike called a “handy”

wwaswas
    shermer75
    Free Member

I got the info from the Shand website, but you’re right- rack mounts (not mudguards) can be fitted on request…

AlexSimon

So that people can see without clicking away:

Stoner
    Free Member

I put my twist grip on a bar extender. Never really worried about moving between grips for braking and shifting.

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QavucDRNbqQ/T9RxABiV2RI/AAAAAAAACwI/srp4v8flkrM/s640/P1010567.JPG[/img]

I guess there’s a new kind of ‘hoff shifter out there that can be assembled on drop bars.

somafunk
    misinformer
    Free Member

I appreciate it’s different strokes and all that ,but it looks mleh

The On-One looks like it actually for the money probably does the same thing.

Probably not going to ever be a custom built bike guy or a customer but doff hat for trying

*edit* Yellow one is a nice take on the gravel bike theme, well done for following an American trend

jameso

I hope he makes a really versatile bike called a “handy”

: )

Stoner
    Free Member

The On-One looks like it actually for the money probably does the same thing.

the problem with the pompetamine is that it doesnt. It only has clearance for CX tyres and narrow ones at that (32mm ish)

Ive always hankered after a 2.35″+ tyre clearance pompetamine, but it’s never really been on the cards at On-One.

Ive fitted my rohloff into On-One slotted drop outs for years now, using my own adaptation of a speedbone, but it’s still a bodge. Again, it would be great to have a a set of swapouts designed for the rohloff for use on a monsterpetamine* frame.

* I want a licence fee for use of that name, Brant.

wwaswas

monsterpetamine

or the All Mountain – AMpetamine

Stoner
    Free Member

or Pompstercross. 🙂

somafunk

AMpetamine………I like that 😀

shandcycles
    Free Member

Link to Brians review on the Washing Machine Post blog

Just for clarification, that review is actually for our standard Stoater not the FT version. The FT has clearances for 2.3 tyres rather than the 42-45mm tyres on the std. The FT also has slightly more BB drop, is slight longer and has a 73mm BB shell rather than a 68mm shell on the std.

Both have rack mounts. The FT doesn’t have a chainstay bridge so mounting mudguards is more of a problem. Although we have been testing using a boss on the back of the seatstay for mudguard mounting and this seems to be working well so we’ll probably do that going forward. That said, there’s a pretty limited number of quality mudguards for wiiiide 700/29er tyres at the moment.

Sanny
    Free Member

It is indeed a thing of beauty although it would have to be pretty special to tear me away from my Fargo. 😀 The lime green cross bike on the site looks fantastic……..really waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant especially as I’ve been toying with the notion of a new crosser for ages! 😀

kcal

do like that – in all variants. ah well 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

I really like that Stoater….

😀

Nipper99
    Free Member

Looks really nice but why would you have this over a Gryphon other than for the niche bragging factor. STI’s are great off road – not sure I would fancy the twist grip on the rough stuff.

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

orangeboy
    Free Member

I was hoping to treat myself to a stouter ft but a misbehaving defender ( never buy a td5 ) is eating all my money

shermer75
    Free Member

Maybe an Alfine hub with Versa levers is the answer…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Because it looks a lot better than the gryphon?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘That Shand bike on the home page…’ is closed to new replies.