Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • That ol’chestnut – home contents insurance
  • jamiea
    Free Member

Our current policy with the AA is up for renewal and in the past year the family bike collection has grown a bit so that has focused my mind somewhat.

Aviva Plus seems to the the current insurance-co-de-jour around these parts so will psych myself up for a soul destroying hour explaining to someone in a distant Aviva call centre why a family of three needs so many bikes totalling more value than a small family car.

Anyhoo, the two latest additions are tourers (cue more call centre head scratching as to why someone would strap possessions that cost the same as an all-in week in Spain to a bike, pedal all day then sleep on the edge of a farmer’s field). I can see a bit of a grey area developing as to what constitutes keeping the bike and kit secure in the arse end of nowhere and, if the worst should happen, we find we’re not covered.

So I guess what we need is decent contents cover that will cover all bikes kept in the shed & the garage en bloc and separate bike/travel insurance to cover touring escapades. Sounds expensive… Any recommendations?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Went with nationwide recently. up to £5k cover on any single bike with no stipulations (which i thought was weird)

TedC

Based on my previous experience [1], anybody but the AA following garage break in in 2015.

[1] Sheds and garages not physically attached to your house may have a separate limit (£3k in my case), only exception being if they are named items, which have to be above a certain value. If you have many bikes, all well below that, but in total way over, your cover is limited to that £3k. Only got my claim paid they went back and checked the call logs. I’d repeatedly asked about the scenario above (fortunately) On the call. Apparently it’s not the fault of the person selling you the policy if they don’t know the policy details, and you should double check for suitability when you get all the small print.

jamiea
    Free Member

Went with nationwide recently. up to £5k cover on any single bike with no stipulations (which i thought was weird)

Cheers Tricky, I’ll give them a bell at lunch.

jamiea
    Free Member

you should double check for suitability when you get all the small print.you should double check for suitability when you get all the small print.

That’s the annoying part, the policy details on all the websites are woolly at best, and the call centre staff (not having ago at them, they’re only as good as the info in front of them) know little more. To have any real idea of what you’re actually covered for you have to pay for the policy and read the policy schedule!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘That ol’chestnut – home contents insurance’ is closed to new replies.