Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • That new Specialized Enduro
  • Tracey

Looks good and messages from our daughter says its even better in the flesh. Hope she gets chance to demo one before she comes home

ta11pau1

Got to admit that looks really nice and the geo is right up there. The price will be the dealbreaker for me though, compared to a canyon or YT it’ll be a few grand more for the same spec.

daveylad
    Free Member

Is the geometry right up there? Is that really ideal for tooling around in the woods or only if you are richie rude? They just seems massive!
    at 6′ my current 2019 bike fits somewhere between the s2 & s3 which just seems nuts.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden an Enduro since my large 29er 2015 model, but that was horrendously short in reach. If it’s been gradually increasing I’m sure it’s got to the point now where it’s a belter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is the geometry right up there? Is that really ideal for tooling around in the woods or only if you are richie rude? They just seems massive!
    at 6′ my current 2019 bike fits somewhere between the s2 & s3 which just seems nuts.

If you look at it as a whole it’s not that far out there.

A traditional large Xc bike would be something like 430mm reach and 110mm stem, giving an ‘effective reach’ of 540mm.

A modern enduro bike in large with a 40mm stem is still probably <495mm reach from most brands. Combined with the steep seat angle the cockpit is actually shorter. It’s just re arranged and the front wheel punted out a long way in front a good 180mm further.

tomhoward

Prices certainly aren’t focused on the VFM side of the market…

Though I guess an alloy version will follow.

mehr
    Free Member

The pricing is crazy. The comp is £4,500 – Why would you pay that much when you could get a Capra CF Pro for £4,800

It does look nice though

PJM1974
    Free Member

Looks as though Spesh have addressed some of the criticisms that I could level at my 2016 S-Works 29er. It’s certainly good to see more progressive suspension and the chainstays appear to be a touch longer, I daresay it’ll feel more balanced and less front endy.

Specialized’s Stumpy is pretty much all that most of us will need in the UK (okay, the South East at least), Specialized seem to have acknowledged the more limited appeal by making the Enduro both 29er only and carbon only. You’re only going to cough up the £4k plus for the entry level bike if you’re absolutely sure that it’s an Enduro that you actually need, if it’s a trail bike you’re after then you’re better catered for elsewhere.

There are short stretches of my local trails that would be an absolute riot on this new Enduro, although I suspect that I’d probably not appreciate it if I were pootling around the woods.

ta11pau1

No alloy version apparently.

And I’d say the geo is good, around 500-515mm reach on the XL with with a 75/76 degree SA is a good place for me, its long but the steep SA will make it feel smaller when seated.

Not forgetting that it’s a 170mm 29er made for maximum speed going down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized’s Stumpy is pretty much all that most of us will need in the UK (okay, the South East at least), Specialized seem to have acknowledged the more limited appeal by making the Enduro both 29er only and carbon only. You’re only going to cough up the £4k plus for the entry level bike if you’re absolutely sure that it’s an Enduro that you actually need, if it’s a trail bike you’re after then you’re better catered for elsewhere.

Poor people ride gnarr too. £4500 for the comp is just ludicrous.

On the one hand, r&d costs money and that needs recouping. On the other good design costs nothing, I.e. it’s no more expensive to make a good bike as it is a rubbish one to the same spec. This is the same company that sold Pitch Pro’s for <£1400 (or less than a grand if you wanted it in poo brown rather than black/green).

How can they with a straight face price it 50% more than an alloy Bird AM9 or carbon Jeffsy or Capra? Because be honest, your LBS is not going to have one in to demo at that price. I’d put money on Bird having a comparable sized demo fleet of am9’s!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Poor people ride gnarr too. £4500 for the comp is just ludicrous.

Yep, agreed.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Crazy pricing and as Wills write up suggests it’s evolving a bit beyond the original Enduro’s classification.  Far to much bike for most of the UK. Says me with a 2015 Enduro😁.  It’s almost like the Stumpy has mutated into the Enduro’s role.

At those prices I’d be looking at a MegaTower.

ta11pau1

Take a capra Pro race, add on an eagle axs upgrade kit, eagle cassette and chain, and an axs reverb and that makes it £6400, without taking into account selling the old bits. The same enduro spec (with XTR which is cheaper) is £9000.

The price is pretty ludicrous.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Thats the first Specialized I’ve been even remotely interested in for a loooooong time, it looks lovely & I agree that the geo looks good.
    Lot of money for a Specialized though & I’m not generally a fan of the brand.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks decent enough but plenty of competition in the long travel 29er segment now.

I’m happy to stick with my radon swoop 29.

chiefgrooveguru

“The pricing is crazy. The comp is £4,500 – Why would you pay that much when you could get a Capra CF Pro for £4,800“

It would be crazier to sell it at YT prices considering that they’re not selling direct. Their dealers aren’t charities staffed by volunteers in premises at peppercorn rent and zero rates!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

£4500 is still a big price for the the lowest model in the range . Don’t expect it to be a big seller .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t expect it to be a big seller .

They’ll sell every one they build.

teethgrinder

It’ll be £2800 in a year. Like the last one.

tomhoward

They’ll sell every one they build.

Not at RRP.

cookeaa

good design costs nothing

Does it?

I agree of course, most of us will never need more than a Stumpy has to offer*.

I like it, but it is too rich for me, and it does feel like they’re coming up with ever-increasingly complicated ways to actuate the shock, but meh, it looks cool.

*(potters off to garage to play with a stumpjumper)…

Poopscoop

Sorry, but that suspension set up makes the bike look like a real dogs dinner to me.

It’s not quite ugly but it’s not far off.

I realise I must be in the minority though.

alpin
    Free Member

Silly money…. And for the majority of people they wouldn’t know if they were riding a high end yeti /santa Cruz/Specialized or a mid range YT, Commencal or canyon if it wasn’t for the name on the down tube. Let’s be honest, most people are mincers regardless of what brands bike they’re riding.

I always thought of Specialized as the vw of the bike World, but perhaps they are aiming for the santa Cruz market.

I won’t be buying one because I just don’t like Specialized…. Roubaix cafe… “enduro” copyright.

And a mate of mine worked for them for a while as a team mechanic. Got a tour of the HQ. Everyone there had drunk the cool aid. They had a guy there who introduced himself as Jumanji. Think his name was was Harold or something else inane. Good coffee machine, mind.

Their dealers aren’t charities staffed by volunteers in premises at peppercorn rent and zero rates!

I’ve two friends who have worked for Specialized just south of Munich. I’ve another friend who worked for Canyon in Koblenz.

I know what the specialized bis were getting paid (mechanic and marketing /promotion) and I know what the canyon boy was getting paid. I know where is rather be employed.

And the turnover of staff at the former is high which speaks volumes about the conditions and the culture.

geex
    Free Member

Richie actually rides a comparitively short reach enduro frame with a fairly modest H/A

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Richie actually rides a comparitively short reach enduro frame with a fairly modest H/A

He rides both the medium and large, depending on the course, the SB150 isn’t exactly conservative, it’s about the norm these days with a sub 65 degree HA too.

Have one of the new S-Works Enduros to try for a couple of days in Whistler 🙂

To be fair, it’s not much different to my current bike in numbers, so should feel familiar.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The change in axle path will be revolutionary in terms of keeping momentum.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does it?

The point being that most of the cost of the final mass produced product is production, distribution, etc. All those are relatively fixed costs per unit. Once it’s in production then making a rubbish carbon bike isnt much cheaper than making an expensive one, just look at the prices for open mold frames, that’s the cost of just making a bike (with potential really poor design).

Marketing and R&D are upfront costs that have to be spread across the sales. But they should be a smaller proportion of the cost.

So good design shouldn’t add to the production costs (might even find ways to reduce it). And if something is well designed it should sell well and payback the increased design costs. So the hypothesis that specialized undoubtedly spends more on r&d than say YT should be reflected in sales volumes not pricing.

There have always been >£4500 superbikes it’ll just be interesting to see how buyers react to model ranges starting at that price. If that’s the pricing model specialized are going to follow then they’re not going to be selling bikes to mountainbikers with average pockets.

nickc

And if something is well designed it should sell well

Just go back up the thread and read Alpin’s comments about Specialized  to see how this assumption while fitting nicely into economic theory, is mostly bollards when it meets the real world.

Look at the success they’ve had with the Stumpy Evo, and look how that’s priced, and look how it was launched. specially it was “Alloy only” until it wasn’t. And if you think this bike’s expensive, go and check out how much the carbon Stumpy Evo is, and that’s been flying off the shelves.

v7fmp

New bike looks awesome, but as mentioned, the price is the sticking point.

When in the market for a new 29er, mid to long travel, the options these days are endless… choosing the right bike is no easy task.

SirHC

Have one of the new S-Works Enduros to try for a couple of days in Whistler 🙂

To be fair, it’s not much different to my current bike in numbers, so should feel familiar.

Be interesting to hear the feedback, espiecially on the sizing.

S3 is very similar to the current enduro with similar reach, longer front centre and long chainstay. S4 is approaching G1 territory, save for a shorter backend and slightly shorter front centre.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Stunning to look at and great geometry.

Its not really a comparison pitching the price of this against a YT or a Canyon; they have completely different business models.

I suspect the new cycle to work limit will mean more expensive bikes becoming attainable for more people (similar to the car industry where people now look at monthly cost rather than purchase price).

Given how conservative Specialized have been for the last few years its good to see them catch up finally. Threaded BBs, longer reach, shorter seat tube etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just go back up the thread and read Alpin’s comments about Specialized to see how this assumption while fitting nicely into economic theory, is mostly bollards when it meets the real world.

True. I’m just surprised that a company as big and corporate as Specialized appears to me moving into higher value bikes rather than where I’d perceive the mass market is. I’m sure they’ve got enough MBa’s to be right. I would have just assumed the most profitable place in the market was to make aluminium bikes <<£2000 (the old pitch which you couldn’t move for at trail centers at one point) and a smaller number of expert/pro/s-works models.

Assuming they are making them to a normal distribution that pricing means their average enduro is going to be well over £5k!

Either that or they’re bringing back something at the old Pitch/Camber level to sit below the Enduro/Stumpjumper with the same geometry and suspension kinematics, but cheaper manufacturing and materials.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m just surprised that a company as big and corporate as Specialized appears to me moving into higher value bikes rather than where I’d perceive the mass market is

The volume of Sirrus sales in the UK alone is staggering. Bike companies sell more than just crabon fribe gnarwagons, you know! 😀

andybrad

why has it got a 2.3 rear tire?

vinnyeh

It’d be nice to see the return of something like the Pitch, god knows there’s enough headroom in Spec’s pricing to allow for that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The volume of Sirrus sales in the UK alone is staggering. Bike companies sell more than just crabon fribe gnarwagons, you know! 😀

That’s my point, where’s the mid range?

On the road you can get an Allez, Allez sprint and tarmac/venge/Roubaix. That enduro and the stumpjumper range are both in the tarmac/venge/Roubaix price range and the aluminium hardtails are mostly in the Allez tier.

why has it got a 2.3 rear tire?

Speed not comfort.

honourablegeorge

Lot of focus on pricing – $9750 for the top end S-Works with 12sp XTR, Fox Factory suspension and own-brand carbon wheels, while a Megatower with XTR, own brand carbon wheels and a Fox 36 (with rockshox rear shock) is $9999.

Cheapest Megatower is $4499, comes with a Yari. Enduro comp with Lyrik Select $4510.

$3299 for the Megatower frame with Rockshox shock, $3310 for the S-Works with Fox X2

It’s in line with similar bikes from other brands, maybe a shade cheaper. Still a lot of money, sure.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s the first Specialized I’ve been genuinely interested in for a while, but the price means it’s completely unjustifiable for me. Even if the cheapest one is reduced to £2800, it’s got NX stuff on it and I’d not want to ride a bike with that. It’ll weigh a ton for a start.

robertpb
    Free Member

It looks like the backend was designed for dry conditions not the mudfest we have in the UK. Even YT have managed to designed their latest bikes so the don’t collect a ton of mud, they even put it in their blurb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘That new Specialized Enduro’ is closed to new replies.