• This topic has 41 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • That new Iggy Pop song,…
  • tthew

I get that 6 music are duty bound to have it on heavy rotation, with him being one of their superstar DJ’s but

It’s really shit isn’t it?

Doesn’t go anywhere, lyrically sounds like a teenagers angsty poetry, drums just donk along the whole song and Iggy’s voice is knackered. Or amahrong?

DezB
    Free Member

Not heard it. He does vocals on a Warmuscher track and sounds cool.

MadBillMcMad

i like it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayak23

Infinitely better than the ‘he wants to be your James Bond’ one.

Don’t mind the newer one if you mean this one.

tthew

That the one, and yes, the James Bond one is worse, amazingly.

I suppose he’s rich enough to be his own record label now, because I don’t think any new band making crap like that would get a record deal.

IMHO of course.

brownsauce
    Free Member

some of his new music was previewed on the johnathan ross show couple of weeks back as iggy was a guest.

yeah , the new releases were crap , sounded real half-assed tbh.

but i cant believe how small the dude is !!  he looked barely 5ft tall / 7 stones in weight on tv.

granted he’s in good shape for 70 odd year old heavy partying rockstar tho. – outlived most of his contemporaries lol

Edukator
    Free Member

Vocal is Iggy, fine. That snare on the third beat of the bar does get wearing but the drumming at the end works for me. The guitar parts are atmospheric and chosen to leave space for the voice which falls between the mildly overdriven bass and bright guitars.

brant
    Free Member

This is nearly as awesome as the soldering thread.

tthew

This is nearly as awesome as the soldering thread.

😁 Cheers!

zippykona

I like it. If that was a new Sisters Of Mercy song we’d all be jumping up and down saying it’s their best song since Temple Of Love.

The video needs bats ,a  castle , dust coats and cowboy hats.

CountZero

I like it, it’s a million times better than anything played on Radio 1, Kiss, Heart or any other commercial station these days.

goldfish24

I only dislike it because it’s too close to sounding like Interpol without really feeling like an homage.

stanfree
    Free Member

I love Iggy , the new song is fine . I think he is one of the last true Rockstars and its amazing he is actually still here and working. I much rather prefer listening to Iggy drawl away presenting on 6 music than Mary Ann Hobbs talking about something being cosmically and sonically the next big thing.

tthew

Oh yeah stanfree, I like him as a DJ, just this new music I can’t stand. Seems like I may be in a minority though. 👍

scaredypants

bit of a dirge, IM(irrelevant, in the scheme of things)O

He’s Iggy Pop – shouldn’t be reduced to this, though I admit re-doing Raw Power prob wouldn’t seem right either

so, err

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That. Is. Shit.

It’s like he forgot he was writing a song because he was trying to tie a complicated knot or remove a stubborn jam jar lid.

DezB
    Free Member

One thing I do prefer is: “that. is. shit” to “the voice which falls between the mildly overdriven bass and bright guitars” – as far as an opinion on music goes.
    Might listen to the song when I’ve finished all the new stuff I’m checking out (like, never).
    Iggy is a proper ledge though, so it doesn’t really matter what he releases these days.

tthew

Iggy is a proper ledge though, so it doesn’t really matter what he releases these days

I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for music reviewers to give glowing reports, or radio stations to playlist 2nd rate output. That’s akin to giving Emlyn Hughes a regular spot in Liverpool’s team. Yeah, he may be really old, lacking in skill and get rings run round him by all the young talent, but – proper ledge!

edit – thestabiliser should definitely get a regular spot in NME though. Concise review.

verses

Don’t mind it. Preferred the stuff he did with Underworld last year though.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for music reviewers to give glowing reports, or radio stations to playlist 2nd rate output

Totally agree! The reviews/the radio should be used to promote the new and exciting. Just meant it doesn’t matter to me 🙂

kelvin

I hadn’t heard it ‘till I read this thread last night. It’s still in my head. It has something. Plenty of lesser stuff on the radio that goes in one ear and out of the other and gets played again and again and again.

Edukator
    Free Member

Might listen to the song when I’ve finished all the new stuff I’m checking out

DezB who knows so much about music he doesn’t even have to listen to know who’s making the most pertinent comments. I bow before your vast knowledge. 🙂 I post what I sing, play and occasionally write, that way there’s no pretence, my talent (or lack of) is there for anybody who clicks guitar threads to see.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Well…I bloody love it…

DezB
    Free Member

I bow before your vast knowledge

Appreciated.

(try understanding my point before getting yourself all at it though eh)

Edukator
    Free Member

And your point is? On music threads it’s usually being provocative, posting lists of eclectic bands and tracks and rubbishing people who like anything vaguely popular. 🙂

You’ve posted twice on this thread to say you haven’t heard Iggy’s song despite someone providing an embedded YouTube and then say:

One thing I do prefer is: “that. is. shit” to “the voice which falls between the mildly overdriven bass and bright guitars” – as far as an opinion on music goes.

I’m sitting here with a bemused grin, DezB. You set yourself up as STW’s music expert and then slag off a thought out comment and praise “that. is. shit.” without even listening yourself.

Or are you just using the opportunity to make a personal attack on me as you have done before? That’s the most plausible explanation.

sirromj

You are Iggy Pop and I claim my £5.

DezB
    Free Member

Morning!
    Nope, I haven’t set myself up as anything, that’s everyone else! I just have opinions. And a passion for music. I don’t get why people give a toss what I say, I really don’t. Why does it matter ffs.
    And (gawd it does need explaining) I don’t need to listen to something to know that I prefer a strong opinion to a cold, factual description of the music. Does that help? Tell me if not, and I’ll explain in more detail. Hopefully you won’t care enough to bother.
    I wasn’t having a go, or slagging or (arf) attacking! Just saying what I prefer. Jeez.

I have listened to it now.

I drew this for you
    Iggy with chair

Edukator
    Free Member

I have listened to it now.

So what do you think of it, DezB?

I still think it fine. My description was warm factual because I quite like it. I fail to see how pointing out which aspects of the song work for me or grate is less prefereable than just saying “that. is. shit.”. To the point you had to point it out without even listening to see if I have a point. Get my point? 🙂

Thanks for the art, Iggy circa 1980.

DezB
    Free Member

S’alright. Not really something I’d bother starting a thread about.

racefaceec90

DezB that’s a great drawing 👍

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

DezB that’s a great drawing

+1

Love Frankie Howerd.

Drac

Well it’s not exactly great or even average.

Cracking sketch DezB.

senorj

“This is nearly as awesome as the soldering thread.”
    hahahaha.

martinhutch

Feels like Iggy Pop crossed with some knackered barfly from a Tom Waits song.

Dez, you’re needed ASAP at the Guardian comments section!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/12/lighthouse-family-how-we-made-lifted

senorj

Dez is too busy to comment as he’s more than likely running the Dido fan club..;-)

kelvin

More visual contributions please DezB !

johnx2
    Free Member

the Dido fan club

The missing L fire club.

The last new Iggy Pop song I heard will have been from about 15 years ago and sounded like shit average rock. Happy to leave it at that.

DezB
    Free Member

The missing L fire club

? Nope. Anyone else?

This is the kind of thing he was churning out 15ish years ago

johnx2
    Free Member

The missing L fire club

? Nope. Anyone else?

dido, missing L? Please yourselves. All my best lines require lengthy explanation and that may not have been one of my best. Talking of aging frontmen who jump about a bit, going to see !!! in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘That new Iggy Pop song,…’ is closed to new replies.