Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • That Moto G mobile that was much trumpeted on here
  • cinnamon_girl

Ongoing problem with loss of signal, switching off then on is no longer making any difference. This seems to be a well known problem according to a quick Google.

Is the retailer obliged to refund in this instance? I’m looking at replacing this as it’s not fit for purpose.

Thanks.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I have one (2014 refresh) and it doesn’t do that. If it did I would return it.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks eltonerino, I’ll check my date of purchase.

Cougar

First thing I’d do with that is a factory reset.

Is the retailer obliged to refund in this instance? I’m looking at replacing this

That’s two different things; do you want it refunding or replacing?

The retailer is obliged to repair / replace it in order to rectify the fault. You’re not automatically entitled to a refund.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replying Cougar. I’ll try a factory reset first.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’d see if a replacement is any better, but loss of signal can be a pain as it sometimes can be as much to do with your coverage as it is your phone.

If you have another mobile kicking about put the sim in there and see how the signal strength compares.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bought one for MrsWCA last week.

Taking it back today.

The screen keeps locking. You swipe to unlock and it immediately locks. Does this for a while and then suddenly works for a while and then stops again.

Very frustrating

bigyinn
    Free Member

There were some well known problems with the Moto G last year, which were associated with some bugs in the firmware.
    I’d strongly recommend updating your phone to the latest firmware and version of Android. This should resolve the issues.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It took two days of trying but managed to keep the phone working long enough to download the updates. Things improved but still randomly locks the screen during use

RustySpanner

There’s a new G coming out in August, apparently.

Link.

My phone’s on it’s last legs and I’m looking at the E & G.
    E seems to get better reviews, but the latest bigger screen G 4G is down to £130 at Argos.

I hate buying phones.

cinnamon_girl

Am feeling pretty dim as had assumed that due to moving and having a copse behind my garden that it was a rubbish signal.

Update now being installed, fingers crossed that it improves. If it doesn’t then I’ll speak to the retailer.

nbt

moto g 4g is also moving to Lollipop 5.1 – i was prompted to update yesterday. haven;t had the courage yet…

cinnamon_girl

Actually I’d rather my old Nokia business phone still worked, completely reliable with a long battery life. All I use it for is calls and texts.

Update! Very little signal. 😐

bigyinn
    Free Member

moto g 4g is also moving to Lollipop 5.1 – i was prompted to update yesterday. haven;t had the courage yet…

Me too, but I dont want to lose root, so will hang fire until I know it can retain root on updating or re-root it easily.

IA

Did the update a week or so ago when the update came out. No issues yet.

I use it as my “Bike phone” tho not my main phone.

Cougar

assumed that due to moving and having a copse behind my garden that it was a rubbish signal.

I wondered for a minute there who you’d killed and why their body would affect your mobile reception…

cinnamon_girl

I wondered for a minute there who you’d killed and why their body would affect your mobile reception…

lol, the sheep in the field are so bloomin’ noisy and I like roast lamb so …

Nah, the little lambs are so cute. 😀

smokey_jo

Moto g 4g (1st generation) upgraded to Lollipop 5.1 after factory reset and it’s now as snappy as Day 1.

Before update I was having enough issues to make me ant to throw it against the wall. O2 carrier setting got updated in the factory reset which helped with signal strength too.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I don’t dare update my 1st gen 4G… It works perfectly as it is and I don’t really need some flashy new icons, so my view is if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

cinnamon_girl

smokey_jo – what’s the 02 carrier setting? How do I know if that’s been included as an 02 user?

smokey_jo

In Lollipop – It’s in Settings > Wireless &networks (…more) > Mobile networks > Access point names > then select the one your on and it will list all of the detail.

Might be worth checking with O2 if you’re settings are correct…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks smokey, just checked and settings look correct.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you call them they can resend the settings as an SMS, FOC.

nicko74

To the OP, it’s a problem I’ve been struggling with for months. The only real solution I could find was to turn it off for a couple of hours, and come back to it later.

I’ve only had mine a year, but have just given up and bought a Nexus 5 – a phone that randomly dies, or that can’t connect to the network, is not much use to me!

matt_outandabout

Our sons MotoG and the three I bought for staff at work (all the 4G refresh of original) seem rock solid and happy. All on Vodafone mind.

nbt

GGGRRRRRRR. Knew I shouldn’t have done it. The upgrade seemd to go ok, but I now need to update GooglePlay services and can’t because there isn’t enough free space – there’s a massive (3.6gb) chunk of memory occupied by “system data” which it would appear is the backup created by the upgrade.

cp

nbt – is that memory still used after a fresh restart post update?

matt_outandabout

Agree – I just restarted my sons after a 5.1 upgrade and it cleaned out the memory. Also, do a quick cache clear out of a couple of apps (Google+, Facebook, Twitter and you are sorted)…

cp

quick way to clear cached data – settings -> storage

Wait for all ‘calculating’ to finish, then scroll down to ‘cached data’

tap it and you get an option to clear – tap ‘OK’

nbt

I’ve restarted the phone (that’s another thing, a long press on the power button no longer shows me the option screen to change between silent/vibrate/ringer, or do a “shut down and restart”) and yes, I’m still short of room

GRRRRR

smokey_jo

Oh I’ve removed the FB app and access via website instead as the memory use by FB was 90% a lot of the time

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just use the browser. I did have some issues deleting text in the comments with the onscreen keyboard, but other than that, it’s probably better.

nbt

that’s worked in terms of allowing me to update google play, cheers muchly

Still got a 3.3gb block of “system data” though 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Been really happy with mine (latest 4g one). Working fine with >32gb microsd too (officially the microSd limit is 32gb).

It sometimes slows when i’ve got loads of stuff open but i just close it down.

Cougar

Random thought which just occurred to me as I had the back off mine.

I don’t know if it applies to the Moto, but some devices use the rear of the case as the aerial. If the connections between the two halves are worn / bent, you might have knocked out the antenna. I’ve seen the same thing with aftermarket cases which replace the rear of the phone and don’t actually contain an aerial…!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not on the G, dude.

Cougar

Ah, fair enough. Never had one, it was just a thought.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nobody minds a helpful suggestion 🙂

Caher

did the update yesterday and already the battery life is way longer and much faster too.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Swapped MrsWCAs phone for a new one and this seems fine so far. Same model etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘That Moto G mobile that was much trumpeted on here’ is closed to new replies.