Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • That moment when your employer is just plain embarrassing…
  • fizzicist
    Free Member

We’ve had a lot of staff turnover of late, so I’ve been trying to get a few new people settled in and give the rest of the team a metaphorical cuddle. One of my technical sales guys is a bit nervous and short on confidence at the moment.

So you can imagine how please I was when I was asked to get him to repay £3 from his credit card expenses for Express boarding with Ryanair….

Then I get pulled up for authorising a line manager to get his team a bottle of wine each for Xmas as a thank you and I have to repay £30 for the biscuits etc I bought for the office.

Going to be fun explaining how finance can offset these savings against the recruitment costs for replacing yet another person. I wouldn’t mind, but we recorded record profits last year. And continue to shit on people from a great height.

Last week I spent until 10pm in airport departure lounges, twice. Left the house before 5am three times and recently moved closer to work despite getting sod all relocation assistance. Only to get pulled up on crap like this….

I’m just plain embarrassed by the corporate penny pinching and lack of judgement…./rant

patriotpro
    Free Member

Good rant. Makes me feel better shit like this.

somouk
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of businesses these days watching the pennies.

Record profits most likely because of the bean counters being very strict…

We traditionally had a very relaxed expenses policy but it’s getting tighter and tighter making it more expensive for me to work for the company!

grantway
    Free Member

Just go in and tell them No good moaning here really is it !
    Unless your Boss posts here ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

My days in accountancy practice were utterly horrible for various reasons like this. My current employer is generally a lovely place to work for, in return I feel an immense amount of loyalty to the organisation and am happier doing the extra mile for them.

Flaperon

I work for a FTSE100 company and have several hundred pounds outstanding on the corporate credit card for a taxi halfway across the country to solve a problem. It’s now three months overdue and the snotty letters from Lloyd’s are really beginning to get on my tits (they come addressed to me, for some reason).

The expenses system allows the payment to be made directly to the card, so it’s entirely dependent on someone in management clicking “Approve” on a webpage somewhere.

I agree with you about how shortsighted they can be; the company can whistle if they want me to do something similar in future. The only good thing is that the missed payments etc are ending up on their credit file, not mine.*

* I think. Might just check this… 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

What a twunt! Makes mine look human.

flap_jack
    Free Member

your choice. go somewhere else if you don’t like it.

hint: everywhere else is like this now. bean counters never waste a good crisis.

fizzicist
    Free Member

There’s no argument that the results are in part due to attaching the pennies. I agree with most of the measures we have in place.

However, we run people into the ground and spend a sodding fortune replacing good people because we’re treating them as consumables rather than assets.

A little flex in one place would save a lot in others…

dab

Fozzicist
    My employer is just as bad – large telco

They’ll send managers to meetings at the drop of a hat
    But team members have to have all travel ” pre approved”
    They even stopped bottled water ( tap water is vile )

Our unit leader suggested that overnight stays at Xmas were un necessary
    Despite a 5am start and 400 mile journey
    Sure I’m not going home same day !!!

I just won’t travel now or do extra hours
    It’s a 2 way street

fizzicist
    Free Member

dab – Member

I just won’t travel now or do extra hours
    It’s a 2 way street

This….

mrblobby
    Free Member

See it all the time at large corporates. Ridiculous penny pinching, usually towards their staff, when they are pissing away vast sums of money elsewhere on projects that typically never see the light of day.

allthepies
    Free Member

Welcome to the future.

DT78
    Free Member

I took one of my teams out after a major milestone, pub lunch. paid for it all myself, and tried to claim a single round of £26.38 which worked out less than £2 per person. I had to get the FDs signature….

tpbiker
    Free Member

And then good staff get pissed off and leave (its the good ones that go, they are the ones in demand) and you have to spend thousands of pounds recruiting a replacement, non productivity time during training etc etc .

short sightedness in the extreme

tpbiker
    Free Member

And then good staff get pissed off and leave (its the good ones that go, they are the ones in demand) and you have to spend thousands of pounds recruiting a replacement, non productivity time during training etc etc .

short sightedness in the extreme

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t have to work very hard when I’m in the office but overseas trips are bloody knackering and it’s only my cycling fitness that gets me through the flights, late nights, early starts, meetings, stress, time changes and bad hotel rooms. We are expected to treat the lolly as if it was our own and nobody ever questions my expenses; if I want to splash £250 on one night at a smart airport hotel in order to save two trips right across a big congested city, that decision is not questioned.

Our company is successful and one of the reasons is low staff turnover meaning a very experienced staff. The expenses policy is one of the reasons for that.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

We have similar problems although not quite on the same scale. The hypocritical nature of things is unreal. We recently had a ‘costbusting’ scheme designed to save money where possible. One of them was to recycle stationary. Ideal for all those half used post-it pads etc but while we are all scratching around using secondhand biros our director has dropped two Blackberry’s down the loo and upon replacement two of the other senior management wanted ‘one like his too’ so we ended up paying out for 6, SIM free handsets, 4 of which were totally unnecessary and 2 could have been avoided with some care.

Staff are hugely demoralised and overworked, doing two jobs each most of the time and then people wonder why stuff goes wrong, doesn’t get done properly or sometimes, just not done at all. Over Xmas we were open for the first time in a good few years, three extra days. No management at all were on site during this period as they ‘needed a rest’. 😡

trail_rat
    Free Member

Globalti . Are you me ?

My boss refused an expense once.

He wont do that again.

slowmart
    Free Member

Now it was few years ago when I introduced a client of mine to my MD. ( now my client was waiting for an urgent job to be manufactured)

Hi Dave, I’d like you to meet J, from so and so. After the usual pleasantries I announced to Dave that rather than wait here I had offered J to take dinner with my wife and daughter but because we were white heterosexuals J has declined. J is effeminate and of British Indian decent.

J mouthed an insult, Dave looked down and mumbled something and moved off.

The business I was with then treated its staff poorly to say the least and you made the best of the opportunities that presented themselves.

J’s still a client.

On another occasion the MD’s son who “worked” in the business sat opposite me but was severely getting on my tits. The phone system went on night service over lunch time and I used my mobile to ring the office. I picked up and

No I’m sorry Simons out. No I’ve no idea when he’s back. Well you know he’s a fat fucca so he’s probably between a Pizza Hut and mc Donald’s. laugh loudly while listening and then, are you’ve noticed that as well with his PH levels…if only he spent as much time selling as he does eating then he’d smash his target.

By this time fat Simon was less than impressed and I was just entering act two when his old man walked in the room. Only for the fat one to say ” dad Martin’s being really rude on the phone about me to a client”

I came clean, his old man looks at his son with a look of annoyance and I was mimicking dad dad

Simon’s still fat

Boredom and resentment eh! Oh how my life improved immeasurably when I left that business.

To the OP, if they treat their staff like that now after record profits, have some fun and get out before things get out of hand and profits drop then the situation will only go one way

warton
    Free Member

slowmart

EDIT: I was being slow, sorry!

ahwiles
    Free Member

That moment when your employer boss asks you who you are is just plain embarrassing…

i’ve been there nearly 6 years 🙁

mindmap3
    Free Member

Our place has cut expenses big time…no more breakfast or lunches can be claimed because some senior people used to take the pee with big expensive, unnecessary lunches. Those of us who have to be on site early or late suffer.

We also stopped ordering stationary…no pens, pads, dividers etc. They have also stopped keeping printer cartridges in stock. You can guarantee that the day they run out is the day you are trying to get contracts out. The car allowances and car scheme keep getting cut too, well for the plebs anyway the directors are all running M3’s etc.

We’re doing ok profit wise, my team is snowed under and our department is carrying the company. It does feel like we’re constantly getting crapped on from above with very little thanks fir going the extra mile.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m glad it’s not just me that thought that!

boxfish
    Free Member

My one time boss once questioned why my outbound/inbound bus journeys to/from the railway station were not the same, as if I was trying to swindle the company out of 70p.

jam-bo

This makes me feel fortunate. Our expenses policy is don’t take the piss…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How about the prison service? (public sector ovbiously)
    It’s decided that cuts need to be made, 12 ‘governors’ (also called the ‘Senior Management Team’, & all on between 35K – 50K a year) sat round a table & decided to make cuts on prisoners food. So now the food is so bad that a huge majority of it goes in the bin cos the cons won’t eat it.
    Now I can’t make my mind up whether we’re saving money or chucking it away. 🙄

Northwind

My old boss got an £6000 expenses claim rejected as it included a 30p toothbrush- they went through a stack of receipts about an inch thick to get that. Time well spent.

theotherjonv

I had to make a trip to the us and was asked to stay over the weekend to take advantage of the lower airfares. But it did cost an extra night in a hotel and sundry meals costs. Saving about usd1000 but costing about usd200. I asked if I could take the girlfriend for the weekend, paying the airfare but assuming her meals with me would be covered. My boss rejected my expenses and make me take her part of the meal off. The ill feeling caused by them rejecting less than usd50 so they could save 800 instead of 750 lasted a long time.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

The one that really hacks me off is when I get threatening letters about the team phone bills because one of the finance team has lost the invoice, they put them in the head of branches name so I get regular threats about non-payment because finance are apparently unable to file properly.

Spin
    Free Member

Hurrah to be in the public sector!

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair jon that sounds fair enough to me tbh.

My rejection was a reject for 60 quid of junk food sent in remotely.

It was rejected ” you dont think thats excessive for snacks”

” yes i do – but its not snacks if its your breakfast dinner and tea is it ?”

I default to junk food when in shit countries rather than get deli belly if the food establishments look dodgy.

theotherjonv

Not to me it wasn’t. It smacked of greed and an inability to look at the larger picture of how the company came across. We want you compromise on your personal life and give up your weekend to save us usd800. We won’t sub you 50 in recompense.

It wasn’t the money, it was 50 bucks. It was the message that was embarrassing.

br
    Free Member

Claim for everything the rules allow, down to the penny. ‘cos they’ll take the penny off just as easily.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I default to junk food when in shit countries rather than get deli belly if the food establishments look dodgy.

I got into a row with finance once over a £12 mcdonalds receipt when I was in Geneva, the issue being the meeting had finished gone 3am and the only place open was the McD’s in the centre, Finance couldn’t accept that swiss junk food is stupidly expensive and were more concerned about the honesty of the bill than my £40 charge from Cafe de Paris the previous night.

samuri
    Free Member

I too work for a FTSE100 company.
    When people visit the head office site, they’re not allowed to park on site due to space issues.
    So I have to tell them to drive to another site a mile away which is essentially a building site, they park up there and get the rickety minibus over. At busy periods the bus isn’t big enough so they have to stand there 15 minutes at a bus stop waiting for the bus to come back.

It’s hugely embarrassing.

johndoh
    Free Member

My boss refused an expense once.
    He wont do that again.

You the man.

lank45
    Free Member

I travel a lot with work, a week here and there which meant last year I took 34 flights and was out of the country for 16 weeks. At one stage I was in the US for three weeks away from the family. Every night I’d call home and speak to the missus, normal practise, I do it in my normal life what’s different when on business?

Three week phone bill accounted to £350, I was told we get a £5 expense a day for calling home, not so much when you look at the cost of mobile to mobile calls from the US! Any way, long story short, I had to foot part of the bill to get the expenses claimed after much back and forth via email. The cost wasted with me messing about far surpassed that the company saved.

New boss now, same company, but he understands the business travel thing, the old boss didn’t and I think that was half the battle. Those that write the policies on expenses, and request you to “obtain a receipt” don’t understand have difficult it was to get a receipt in a tiny village in Russia in the first place. Such is life, it’s the job I do and it doesn’t look like it will change any time soon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worked for one company about 10 years back that gave us £50 per night dinner bed and breakfast. Lunch wasn’t included for full days on site. At this point a travel inn cost more. My weekly expenses were more than I earned and had to be signed off by a director and only paid by cheque as otherwise it would cost them money.

They also had a fixed start and end time I got a dressing down for being late in despite not getting home till 10pm one night.

DavidB
    Free Member

When I worked for Royal Mail many years ago we got fixed £45 per night subby no receipts. A mate was on a training course for 6 weeks and camped at £1 per night.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘That moment when your employer is just plain embarrassing…’ is closed to new replies.