Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • That moment when you realise you are no longer a cyclist…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

was today. A reoccurence of my undiagnosed ‘Gentlemen’s Problem’ (a chronic UTI or hernia?) plus the fact it is p*ssing down, I’m still getting over the man ‘flu and I’m in my fifties led to my catching the bus this morning.

I am no longer a cyclist.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m in my fifties

Absolutely nowt to do with it.

fact it is p*ssing down

Also nowt.

Get your problem fixed and get back in the saddle, sonny!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sometimes alternative forms of transport are more appropriate, you can be a realist and still be a cyclist.

SaxonRider

I’m glad you said that, Woppit. I hope I am still riding in my 70s.

I am in awe at those who just get on with whatever they can to at the edge of their limitations.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m glad you said that, Woppit. I hope I am still riding in my 70s.

Fortunately, I don’t have that long to wait.

But I will be (riding).

Edukator
    Free Member

Become a walker.

Northwind

Pfft, it’s in the head not in the riding, I still count myself a motorbikerist even though I’ve not ridde mine for about 5 years (except for round the front of the house to wash, once)

milkyman
    Free Member

two crisps walking down the road, a car pulls up and say can I give you guys a lift, the crisp say no thank you were walkers

sorry couldn’t help my self……..I will get my coat

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Could have been worse.

The car could have been driven by a were wolf…

racefaceec90

i know what you mean op. i suffer with an embarrassing problem (cough piles) and between that and the depression,i haven’t ridden my bike for ages (apart from going to town to go shopping e.t.c).

i have seen my doc about it i have to say,but i haven’t ridden my bike any distance for over a year now.

i dream about the old days when i used to cycle all day long with no worries (was a lot fitter back then too) 🙁

loddrik
    Free Member

Well I’m just off out for a ride (42, fat, bald and just started raining..).

teasel
    Free Member

The car could have been driven by a were wolf…

Heh.

That’s my kind of pedantic pun.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve been a gym rat for the past 18 months resulting in probably less than half a dozen rides in that time. In fact my recently built Orange P7 is still on the bike stand where it has been since the bike was completed a month ago. Occasionally go in and tweak the gears. Once took it off the stand and sat on it for size.

Still class myself as an off-road cyclist. Will eventually get back into it. Life’s too short for absolutes.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve realised that i’m much happier driving in (contributing to) Sheffield’s crappy commuter traffic, than try and get around by bike.

it might be slow and frustrating, but i’ll take that over fearing for my life.

teasel
    Free Member

i suffer with an embarrassing problem (cough piles)

As I wrote on a different thread (though you seem to be one of those that like to ignore me) you can get that sorted without too much trouble. They can be simply chopped off and you’ll get a new bum. Don’t piss about with it if it bothers you.

Unless, of course, cough piles is an ailment of the throat…

ferrals
    Free Member

Sometimes ‘not’ being something is a hell of a lot more fun. I used to be an obsessive surfer, paddling out in the pre-dawn dark mid winter, even if the surf wasnt great, to get 1/2hr of surfing before going to work. I’d get annoyed if i hadn’t surfed for a couple of days. For whatever reason, I think probably 15 years of overindulgence in the sport (or maybe just age and increasing responsibility meaning i can’t rock up an hour late to work), I’ve lost that drive. If the surf is good and I can I go, if not, I dont care. I dont stress if I’m not surfing at the peak of my ability, just enjoy it as a pastime. It’s kind of liberating!

gummikuh

Think I agree with ahwiles.

I have been cycling to work for ever and recently have started to use the car. At first only when it’s chucking it down, but I have had so many near misses, that my Mrs has begged me to stop, I thought filming the idiots on a go-pro might be of help, but the police are not interested, and all its done is scare the wife even more.
    I’m fed up buying lights and hi-viz gear, just to stay alive, I get to work sweaty, and get to change into cold clammy clothes at the end of the work day.
    I love cycling, but I’m going to dig out the static trainer and ride in the evening watching a good film.

racefaceec90

apologies teasel,i do remember your advice (and it is sensible).it’s just me tbh.

teasel
    Free Member

No probs, man.

But to reiterate – just do it; suck up the embarrassment of having someone probe/inspect your Chalfonts and you’ll have a better time with life once they’re dealt with. It really is a straight forward process in most cases.

jools182
    Free Member

When a guy that must have 10+ years on me flies past on a Surley like I’m standing still

uphill

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am no longer a cyclist.

Today perhaps but there is always tomorrow. I used to do a shirt Boris bike commute everyday from May to October but outside that period generally via something drier and warmer.

As for comments about age that depends on physical issues, no doubt once the age starts creeping up health / broken body issues come into play.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘That moment when you realise you are no longer a cyclist…’ is closed to new replies.