• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • That mahoosive Indian Statue….. how much??!!
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Is it just me who thinks that spending £330m on a statue in a country that has so much poverty is absolutely obscene?

I mean…  it looks very impressive but to think what that could buy to help the poor and disadvantaged in India is staggering.

Might just be me though?

sirromj

Long term tourism should pay for it no?

Must be quite impressive to see.

johnnystorm

Similar reason we keep the Royal Family in luxury while the number of homeless people on the streets skyrockets.

rene59
    Free Member

Compared to the £8.77B for the London Olympics it looks like a bargain.

sparksmcguff

Rip off. I’ve got a mate who could have done that for a couple of ponies and a few crates of brew for the labour.

but yeah, not convinced by vanity projects and that includes her maj

drnosh
    Free Member

India. Still a recipient of UK Overseas Development budget?

funkmasterp

I was going to search for an image of said statue, but then I realised I’d it doesn’ do this I’m going to be sorely disappointed.</p>

jimster01

Thought India was a growing economy, like all growing economies they have their Elite and the workers and the elite rub the workers nose in it

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only £98m..

Thats one leg and a bit of cock then..

tthew

I have the same feeling about some of the horrifically expensive big physics projects. CERN and particularly that gravitational wave lab. Billions to prove that a dead theoretical scientist was right. If someone can point to likely practical applications of the findings, fair enough, but just seems a waste of money to me.

gonefishin
    Free Member

If someone can point to likely practical applications of the findings, fair enough, but just seems a waste of money to me.

Well not strictly an application of the findings but CERN did give the World Wide Web so quite a big thing.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Is poss can has piccy for makee judgement?

Klunk
    Free Member

I have the same feeling about some of the horrifically expensive big physics projects. CERN and particularly that gravitational wave lab. Billions to prove that a dead theoretical scientist was right.

they’ve used the LIGO data to prove we live in 4 dimensional space, and there are no extra dimensions

slowoldman

If someone can point to likely practical applications of the findings, fair enough

There are always practical applications for new knowledge.

maccruiskeen

If someone can point to likely practical applications of the findings, fair enough

cheese strings

madeupname
    Free Member

£330 million?

Pah, once we’ve left the EU, we’ll be able to build one  every week!

slowoldman

The first one will be of Farage. Big statue for a big knob.

CountZero

Ive heard that question asked about practically every aspect of scientific research for decades. Try doing a bit of research, there’s lots of info out there to give you plenty of answers, showing how abstract research and research into space projects have affected everyday life. Things like microcircuitry and integrated circuits, for example. Then there’s medical research and space medicine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll take cern over most things, but for perspective before we criticise India we spend billions on offensive weapons we will never use but can’t feed or house our most needed citizens. Glass houses and all that.

johndrummer
    Free Member

India has a nuclear weapons programme and a space programme. Poor?

willard

John, yes and no. Some areas are horrifically poor, some are not. But then, you knew that, right?

P-Jay
    Free Member

You know most of those payments are bribes / cash-back for trade deals and the like yeah?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘That mahoosive Indian Statue….. how much??!!’ is closed to new replies.