Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • That London
  • atlaz
    Free Member

dangerousdan – not all parts of north surrey are expensive. Esher is pricey, Weybridge is pricey, walton (between the two) isn’t so bad.

grantway
    Free Member

ONEPOINTFIVEMILLIONPAHYNDS for a 2-bedroom flat..

Thats the price of Wapping worked in many places there don’t think its
    value for money has very small inside and you get a lot of plaster board
    for your money.
    But must say very nice when the windows are open and having lunch
    over looking the Thames

MrSmith
    Free Member

Mr Smith ahem it doesn’t take 20 minutes to get from Folkestone to Ashford on a fast bike, I hesitate to play the pedant here, but wrong is somewhere between us, shall we build a bridge and get over it?

no. you accept that the high speed line timetable is correct and that you are wrong. Folkstone is not 36min away from st Pancaras, Ashford is.
    i don’t care how long it takes ‘on a fast bike’, this discussion is about train journey times from kent.

using the high speed train it’s 36min from Ashford to St Pancaras, add the 18min for the Ashford-Folkstone Central journey time and the 2 min stop time, this gives the journey time at 56min. check the timetable for yourself.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thats the price of Wapping worked in many places there don’t think its
    value for money has very small inside and you get a lot of plaster board
    for your money.

Not this place mate. This was one of they old town houses, so proper solid. I dread to think what the whole house would cost. £4-5 million easy.

But yeah, plenty of shoeboxes going for silly, silly money. And plenty of people paying silly, silly money. 😯

Thing to watch out for is postcode variations; mate of mine bought a place in Lewisham. Couple of hundred yards down the road, you cross into Blackheath, which is a different postcode. The same type and size of property suddenly becomes £100,000, £150,000 more. Just because it’s got a more ‘prestigious’ postcode, ffs. It’s the same area, same bloody road even! 😯

scu98rkr
    Free Member

No one is actually giving the bloke a reasonable answer. Except maybe the guy who mentioned ealing.

There are two questions the OP needs to answer are you buying or renting and do you expect to be able to cycle in the evening ?

The truth is the best riding is too the south of London. Hence most of the people recommending surbition,croydon,esher etc etc

However this does nt tie in with you wanting to be in the north of london to drive back to yorkshire ?

But the north of london doesnt have train lines going straight to victoria in fact as mentioned most of the trains to victoria tend to come from either the south or south east (not even south west). But these areas will be very difficult to get back to leeds from again.

Also do you expect to be able to just get in your car and drive somewhere say at 11am on saturday morning ?

If so I would say you need to be nearish the edge. I lived in Battersea for several years and if you left it late to drive somewhere you just had to sit in traffic for ages. (not all the time admittedly)

Also if you want to be able to cycle in the weekday evening. You need to live a fair way out. For instance I lived near clapham junction but getting a train out in the evening to go cycling was almost impossible due to the number of commuters. Also I would nt have driven out because its meant to be relaxing !

The best option really is to cycle out and I did do this a couple of times during the weekend, but you’d have to be pretty fit to cycle out from say zone 2 and manage to do a decent bit of MTBing of a evening.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No one is actually giving the bloke a reasonable answer

TBH, it’s the kind of thing you really need to research yourself, extensively, to find out what will work for you. No point in asking others, as their responses will be laden with personal opinions/prejudices/subjective experience, which isn’t really all that helpful I woon’t imagine. More confusing than owt else.

Except maybe the guy who mentioned ealing

See, then you’d get others going ‘Ealing’s crap blah blah blah X is miles better’ and so on and so forth, and no answer is ‘right’.

I once gave someone on here advice about moving to North Wales. And they took my advice and moved there! 😀

And they love it there too, so maybe I’m the only person qualified to give advice on such matters. 🙂

My advice: don’t move to Wapping. Unless you are properly loaded.

Or Thamesmead. Unless you are properly mad.

Kevevs
    Free Member

RE: tags. Just curious- How can you possibly be a “mockney muppet” if you’ve lived in East London your whole life?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Best bit is Kev; I’ve never claimed to be a ‘Cockney’, that’s just a label often given to people from London by Foreigners (like, Northerners and them). So how I can be a mock’ version of something I don’t even claim to be the ‘genuine’ version of, I have no idea. 😕

‘Cockney’ isn’t the same as ‘Geordie’ or ‘Scouser’ or ‘Brummie’; it’s an outdated and largely redundant idea of a particular type of person from the East End. Hardly any of them left now really; most have either died or moved to Essex or Devon or somewhere. Times change. London’s changed.

I don’t really see myself as a ‘Cockney’, just a Londoner, an East End lad. I spose technically I could call myself a Cockney, but not really bothered.

As for ‘Mockney’, well, that’s quite funny. A ‘Mockney’ is someone pretending to be of lower class than they actually are, trying to gain a bit of ‘street cred’. I grew up on a council estate. I struggle to see how much ‘lower’ I could pretend to be. 😆

Here’s a bit of reading, for the ignorant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockney

HTH.

X

LHS
    Free Member

Hard to give accurate direction without really knowing budget and size of place you are after. From my experiences I would definitly recommend SW over NE london. We are in Barnes which is just the other side of the river from Chiswick. Great place to live, 25 mins to Waterloo, 5 mins from Richmond Park, 35 mins from the Surrey hills for good riding. There are plenty of good areas further out (up to the 1hr commute) but what you save on rental costs you would see a big increase on train fare.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dude those are pictures are of places they make you go to when you’re at school, on a sunny day when you want to be on the beach or riding up the hills, nobody want to see that shit, ‘cept Yank tourists, Eurotrash and Slanty eye dudes

Sorry, I can’t let that one slip by.
    Just because YOU are not interested in history, science, architecture, culture, theatre and everything else like that, doesn’t mean everyone else isn’t. That really is a very narrow minded viewpoint, reinforced by the casual racism at the end.
    I’ve lived in London. I wouldn’t want to live there again but I LOVE the place. I love being a short train journey away. We can nip in for a day, see some sights, eat well and see a show after. There is nowhere like London IME. It’s a vastly varied place, and it knocks 7 bells of crap out of Sydney quite easily, which is a dull, soulless place.

LHS
    Free Member

Sorry, I can’t let that one slip by.

You should, I wouldn’t even bother wasting any of my breath on someone who is so narrow minded and racist.

atlaz
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Nobody answered his question because it’s not possible. Want to train to Victoria, SW London. Want to hit the M1 immediately, Hendon/Finchley. Ealing is a middle ground which may, or may not, be suitable based on the OPs requirements as it’s a not really any of the things he asked for either.

On a side note, one thing to remember is that train times are a bit subjective. I used to live in zone 3 and getting to Waterloo was slower than catching the train from Surbiton which is a lot further as it’s on a mainline and has a fast service into town (18 mins to waterloo).

The only real way, as Elfin said, is to take all of the advice here and come down to London, walk around the areas, look in estate agent windows, look at the train timetables etc.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Thats what I meant just tell him that place doesnt exist.

singletrackmind

It depends on your priorities . ” The best woodland singletrack riding in the country” from a small mtb mag called singletrackworld. Then its move near to PP . Bracknell / Aldershot / Cove / Camberly . Not hideously expensive,near M25 so M1 30 mins away . Londinium 40 min by train . Surrey Hills + Swinley nearby .
    Priorotise getting back to Gods country ( mums from Pontefract ) then north London or MK , Ltn or M1 /A1 corridor .
    Prioritise train links Whyteleafe has 2 main stations and reasonable riding but its in v. expensive Surrey .
    Cycle commute from somewhere cheap? aint going to happen . Soz.

grantway
    Free Member

To be honest were ever you choose to move, make sure you stay at least a week
    and give the area a test run.
    You’ll be amazed how different a place/area changes in the evening
    especially if you move to London.

Kevevs
    Free Member

interesting stuff Elf. we used to make Mochnepops cos my mate lived in in Mochdre.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘That London’ is closed to new replies.