• This topic has 42 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dday.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • That is Faaaaat!
  • wwaswas

Gosh.

(from bikeradar, sorry)

scotroutes

4.8″ tyre on a 90mm rim and what looks like a Small frame! Can’t wait to see what the new Specialized tyres are like and hoping they’ll do a 4″ version too.

wwaswas

they probably didn’t need a stick/assistant out of shot to hold the bike up 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Gis a go! 8)

cr500dom
    Free Member

I really really want one of those 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

Those fat bikes look just right, they scream fun, if I was looking to buy a bike for just riding along with a stupid grin on my face…

wwaswas

When I was a kid that’s how I imagined/wanted my bike to be – sort of like a scrambler with no engine.

I’d be happy to provide my own engine noises, even now, I think.

wordnumb
    Free Member

New, from the people who brought you handlebars too wide to fit between the trees — Tyres too wide to fit between the trees!!!

scotroutes

Those tyres are no wider than already seen on the Surly Moonlander (in fact it’s the same tyres on slightly narrower rims). I think the frame size is exacerbating it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is there a link to the article?

nedrapier

What is it?

wwaswas
    woody2000

Do you ride it or just bounce it along? 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

much want for this one.

andyl
    Free Member

When I was a kid that’s how I imagined/wanted my bike to be – sort of like a scrambler with no engine.

I’d be happy to provide my own engine noises, even now, I think

clothes peg on the frame to hold a bit of cardboard into the spokes. Got to be done 😀

AlexSimon

Looks pretty nice actually. If it’s competitively priced, it could do very well.

Interesting if they do produce some tyres like planned.

30lb including pedals according to that BikeRadar article.

(image from MTBR)

Northwind

So what are all the nicheyholics going to do now that fatbikes are so mainstream?

swavis

A Krampus 😉

scotroutes

Revel in affordable parts!!

woody2000

So what are all the nicheyholics going to do now that fatbikes are so mainstream?

26″ wheels, normal tyres and sensible gears?

😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

What is it for? I’ve seen them before but where do you ride them beach and snow or all over?

scotroutes

Everywhere
    Read the review on mtbr

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Where will the stupidity end…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind » So what are all the nicheyholics going to do now that fatbikes are so mainstream?

😀 I asked the very same when a version of this was first spotted under the posterior of Mr Overend.

Now, when Giant and Trek have also jumped on the bandwagon, there’ll be an exodus to the next big thing!

wwaswas

the next big thing

I think the next big thing will be small.

People will (re)discover that light bikes with relatively short travel and light, narrow, tyres are more fun on the stuff they ride most of the time.

ononeorange

I rode a fat bike yesterday for the first time (a Surley) and it really was a lot of fun. Very good for storming through the middle of mud / rough stuff etc while the rest of us minced around the sides.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

People will (re)discover that light bikes with relatively short travel and light, narrow, tyres are more fun on the stuff they ride most of the time.

Narrow barred, narrow tyred, long stemmed bikes? Perhaps with cantis? And some purple ano? 🙂

wwaswas

And some purple ano?

Steady now.

trout
    Free Member

It needs some boffin to come up with variable fatness tyres
    narrow and hard for the long ups and fat-n-soft for the downs

rOcKeTdOg

Why is that man riding a fatty whilst wearing armor?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s called fashion, daaaaahling. Do try and keep up.

😉

scotroutes

Exactly! It’s not like he has any chance of falling off!!!

Dickyboy

I rode a fat bike yesterday for the first time (a Surley) and it really was a lot of fun. Very good for storming through the middle of mud / rough stuff etc while the rest of us minced around the sides.

was that at a summit mtb do by any chance?

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks awful. I always get the impression these kind of bikes would be fun for a few rides then the novelty of riding a tractor would wear off.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

OMG. 😯

That’s the first Specialized I’ve actually felt a carnal stirring for since 1994.

AND I don’t/didn’t like fatbikes at all.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

Pff, I’ve got one of those, it’s much less fun on the stuff I ride most of the time than my 2 big bikes with fat tyres. But when I fancy a dull milemunching xc ride it’s a little bit better at that.

fisha
    Free Member

I like the look of that. I know it says pricing TBD, but anyone hazard a guess at rough ball park figures? Even for a basic entry level?

dday

But will it come in a 29er version?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m going to guess a million pounds. Rigid bike with some fat tyres = licence to print money. Decent rigid bike with normal wheels = £500.

scotroutes

No prices announced yet. I’d guess something £1,599 and £2,099 for the two models.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘That is Faaaaat!’ is closed to new replies.