Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • that hemlock review on biketragic?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

IMO, I find it really disappointing that follow up tests & reports to articles like this aren’t done & published – especially when the manufacturers/suppliers have gone to the trouble to rectify things (is it just me, or do WMB/MBUK seem to be quite bad in this respect?).

I remember the P7 review, because I was about to buy a P7 frame, and it nearly put me off. When I spoke to Orange about it, they explained the situation and modification they’d made (and I did buy a P7 frame).

I’m not a Cotic owner, or in the market for one at the mo. But, having read the statement on Cotic’s site, I wouldn’t have any worries. Personally, I think the fact the frame has passed BS EN 14766 is a better test of its mechanical integrity than a journalist with a ‘measuring stick’!

juan
    Free Member

Ben is that a real test?
    The last st mag I wanted, had the test commencal VS orange. It was only 2 pages short. It’s a bit cheapish to make your mind…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

the bike as tested was flawed, the pointed out those flaws and also the potential of the bike when sorted, i thought it was a reasonable view to take?

Agreed, also what higgo said. They tested what they were given, said what happened, and acknowledged what Cotic have done about it. Seems fair enough to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomlevell

Blimey I’ve never seen a magazine put broken bits in picture before (or even mentioned it). They must have had an Ellsworth fail on them over the years ;0)

benjag
    Free Member

Juan, is that aimed at me? I’ve test ridden a few bikes and the Hemlock is the one I prefer, and it is UK designed. Not interested in French bikes thanks! I would buy from a test ride rather than a mag review…..

juan
    Free Member

Not interested in French bikes thanks

No really the point I was making… Plus it was for the real ben… From ST mag
    I would not buy from a mag only but it helps to make up your mind sometimes

cy

I think we need to stop the Future character assassinations here people. They tested the bike, they tested it with replacement parts (effectively a re-test) and drew their conclusions. They informed me of the situation, and whilst I disagree with some of their conclusions and methods, I think they were fair. They may re-test the revised frame next year, they may not, but I shall be offering.

IanMunro
    Free Member

IMO, I find it really disappointing that follow up tests & reports to articles like this aren’t done & published – especially when the manufacturers/suppliers have gone to the trouble to rectify things (is it just me, or do WMB/MBUK seem to be quite bad in this respect?).

My guess is that given that all manufacturers know they have only one shot to get things right in a review, then the onus is on them to supply a bike that they want to be judged on. If they want to be judged on a bike that hasn’t been assembled correctly then that’s their choice.
    I know that sounds rather harsh, but unfortunately that’s the nature of a review.

BillOddie

Cotic offer a 2 year warranty and appear to have sorted the issue.

If I test rode one and liked it, I would see no reason not to buy one.

A good test ride is worth 100 reviews and 1000 forum recommendations IMHO.

hora
    Free Member

Note to self, dont ever threaten benjag on the forum (big buggers hurt)

benjag
    Free Member

I’d get him whilst he was down, nursing a battered knee after a doubles jump fail at the moment!

hora
    Free Member

benjag, for future reference Im 5ft 6, 20yrs old, blonde and talk with a broad Norfolk accent 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Hang on, I sound quite tasty 😐

Ben_Haworth

Juan – will 1000 words be okay? 🙂 We’ve reviewed the previous Hemlock in an earlier issue. I’m eager to see how the new Hemlock rides with the Fox shock, as the RockShox Pearl in the old Hemlock wasn’t my cup of tea.

higgo
    Free Member

hora said… big buggers hurt

I’d imagine your eyes would water at the very least.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I want to test ride a Hemlock now. Bother. Just when I need to be saving up. 😀

owenfackrell
    Free Member

MBR had a canonndale fail on them and gave it 3 out of 10 but also printed what canonndle said they also rereviewed it a few months later when the mods had been done. They also put in pictures of what happened.

juan
    Free Member

Juan – will 1000 words be okay?

Well I’d like to know more about how it’s test, with more action pictures, etc etc…

benjag
    Free Member

6’4″, 34, yorkshireman, although I’d be more worried about Ton than me!

duckman

Right, lets settle this once and for all; Cy, I am 6″3″ and about 18 stone in kit, if you could send me a built up Hemlock, (I would like xt, pro 3’s and thomson finishing kit, oh, and a travel adjust fork.) If you could also include approx 500 quid for misc expenses (petrol/B&B’s/apres ride Lia Fail)

In return I will test it round the Grampians for the next 18 months, and post on this site, and Bikeradar about how I get on. My lack of any skill combined with my almost child-like confidence in my ability to get down vertical slopes makes me an ideal person to test it’s robustness

Not having ANY connection with the bike press everybody can be sure of getting an impartial review, so both you and the stw users win.

No,no, don’t thank me…

Ben_Haworth

“Well I’d like to know more about how it’s test”

I was thinking of riding it a lot.

Where Singletrack Test Bikes

cy

duckman – that’s a lovely offer. You shouldn’t have. No, you really shouldn’t 😉

I’m 6ft 3in and 14st in riding kit and not exactly a pansy on the bike, so I’m reasonably well covered for big lads! I haven’t broken mine, either.

uplink
    Free Member

………..with more action pictures, etc etc

Something you can colour in perhaps?

mustard
    Free Member

I hope 18bikes got mine before they ran out!

I just had to have one after demo’ing it at GT. Cy – I’m the bloke with the dodgy beard that came back grinning ear to ear!

Just wish I had the funds to get some Thors and Martas for it. First time I’ve ridden Magura kit and was duly impressed by it.

Oh, and while I’m here, what length stem do you have on yours? That is a great set up, it felt so ‘right’.

Cheers!

juan
    Free Member

uplink nope but something that is going to give me a hint about how the bike is tested.

When you pay 4£ for a mag you expect a bit more of a test than one page with half of it filled up by a static picture of the bike.
    I’d like to know how many hours the bike has been ridden, by whom, where, what did they did with it etc etc…
    You know basic stuff

cy

mustard – glad you like it, I remember you! 18 haven’t ordered anything recently unless they have a stock frame, so you may have to wait a while. It’ll be June for sure for the re-stock.

My bike runs a 70mm x 10deg stem with Bontrager King Earl 710mm wide bars. I think the Rhythm Pro bars are the equivalent product for 2009. Seatpost had 20mm layback.

benjag
    Free Member

I saw a medium frame in stock at 18 bikes at the weekend.

Ben_Haworth

Juan – Nice idea. I’m not sure Singletrack is the mag for that though really. We’re not a product-led publication. That’s kind of the point really. We’re about features and words and flowery w*nk. We’re about the “why” not the “what”.

Did you read any of the non-test features in the issue you purchased? 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Ben

I too am fed up of static pictures of bikes in Singletrack. Next time you test a bike, could you print a series of pictures of it in the top right hand corner of every page. Then I’d be able to thumb through the magazine at a variety of speeds getting a very real impression of how it will ride.

tomlevell

My 09 Hemlock rocks hugely.

That is all.

Russell96

Second Higgo’s moving pics request!

jackthedog
    Free Member

I too am fed up of static pictures of bikes in Singletrack. Next time you test a bike, could you print a series of pictures of it in the top right hand corner of every page. Then I’d be able to thumb through the magazine at a variety of speeds getting a very real impression of how it will ride.

That’s a genuinely brilliant idea. Free ‘video’ with every copy!

kelvin

I’d like to know how many hours the bike has been ridden, by whom, where, what did they did with it etc etc…

Sound like one of those Euromags. Have you seen a German cycling mag? Stats heaven! Yawn. = ;7)

kelvin

Completely ignore the joke, putting little videos featuring bikes reviewed on the website when the mag hits the newsstands could be a nice idea.

juan
    Free Member

Did you read any of the non-test features in the issue you purchased?

Well I didn’t purchased it in the end. What is the point if what attracted me in the mag (in this case the home page of this very forum where chipp said the test commencal meta4 vs orange ST4 would be in issue XX), is only a couple of pages with very little info inside. 4£ is a price of a proper book. I am ok to pay a mag this price if it interest me in something.

If you are a non product driven mag why do you do test then? If you go through the trouble (or not) to do some testing why not do it properly?
    I was looking forward to it to be honest as I would quite like the orange, however before buying a flight ticket to test one I would have love to know what people think of it.

Is it that daft to ask?

matt_outandabout

I have a pic in a recent mag (not STW)upstairs, showing a bike on next to a spirit level, clearly having angles checked with a digital measure. Shame they seem to be measuring the head angle using the fork stanchion

FWIW, I don’r read much into most magazine tests these days. STW seems to be the only one with half an eye on real riding and riding related to wha I ride – the others seem to witter on about the same pet hates/dislikes or blow up a minor point into a big one etc etc

I didn’t like the flexi Hemlock MK1, but having seen and twisted a few of the new ones, and ridden one as well, I would buy one (heck, it was plan A with short rockers on my insurance replacement rather than the ST4). I would trust Cy’s response and support over the journo’s, despite the clear failure.

Ben_Haworth

Tests have their place in our mag but it is not the be-all and end-all of the mag. To fit more test pages in the mag would mean losing feature pages elsewhere.

Other more product-led magazines are available.

BTW get the Orange.

mt
    Free Member

Second Higgo’s moving pics request! Come fella’s this is a good idea.

Juan, if you don’t buy don’t moan about the content. You could be from Yorkshire, put your hand in your long pocket and reach.

matt_outandabout

BTW get the Orange.

I did 8) It is schweeeet

matt_outandabout

Other more product-led magazines are available.

My wife bought me a couple recently. I read them and come away feeling that all they say is ‘buy, buy, buy – last years is soooo crap and outdated, you *need* this new one thats en-vogue*

I read STW, and generally come away thinking ‘ride, ride, ride and oooh, gotta ride there some day and hmm, they are nuts’ etc

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘that hemlock review on biketragic?’ is closed to new replies.