Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • That Hannah Dobson
  • tom84
    Free Member

In the past I have written to Hannah to big her up on calling out unfair treatment of women in cycling but today I feel- notsosure.
    In her writing we are invited to be thoughtful and engage in a discourse without spite, so she and her readers would presumably not mind this…
    I thought writing the fresh goods friday in such a way as it seems to be from another voice/position was weird (already mentioned in the comments).
    Then this Dads piece. In it the gripe with the so called ‘serious’ riders is that they basically take riding down slidey, steep, rocky trails seriously: serious about technique, serious about kit, serious about fitness, serious about planning. The dad’s aren’t like that but they don’t ride those trails. Hannah finds her happy medium when she takes the less serious people down the serious trails. In this situation she tells us she is careful about technique, mindful about kit, pushing her body. Given that this is the same stuff as the serious riders, I would suggest there might be something about the fun that was had that, for her, was also about being in front, the exception and the best. And why not? Why not just say that?

For me there are a lot of similar issues. I want to fit in with a certain group, I want to ride at a certain level, and that usually means having to face my inadequacies: my lack of skills, fitness, ability with a spanner and budget. Oh well, its the price you pay innit?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the question is?…..

stwhannah

I’m not sure what the question is?…..

Me neither, but…

we are invited to be thoughtful and engage in a discourse without spite

Yes. I hope so. I do try to be nice in life (although inadvertent offence isn’t unknown).

I would suggest there might be something about the fun that was had that, for her, was also about being in front, the exception and the best. And why not? Why not just say that?

I can see it might seem like that, but it’s not meant to. I really do just love seeing others get the same fun out of riding as I do – to try and do that I think about what is required to clear a trail to make sure I’m not leading people out of their depth because if they hurt themselves they’ll probably not have fun. I find that thought about what the trail needs somehow different to trying to be better/faster – an appreciation of what is rather than what could be, maybe? And I didn’t intend to sound like I’m griping about taking things/kit seriously. More that it can be a refreshing change to step away from all that thinking and analysing your bike. But then there is a time and a place for that, and another for proper preparation and kit that works – which is probably another column in itself!

I suspect that that most of my columns could form a series called ‘reasons while all bike riding is a good thing’, with the others being ‘excuses for not riding even though I know I should really’. 🙂

And FGF…every week I struggle with the not using I rule. Or should that be Hannah struggles not to use I? Argh!

onewheelgood

I can’t really see what the OP’s problem is. I get that it might be refreshing to ride with people who just want to pedal, especially if your normal rides are with a bunch of employees of a mountain bike magazine. And I absolutely get the joy of introducing people to something that you love, and seeing them loving it too. I don’t think it’s anything to do with being ‘better’ than than them.

Pook

I’m a dad. I get out when I can. I value even the shortest rides when I get them.

Liked this article. OP, what is your point? I certainly didn’t get that HR wanted to be at the front, more that she enjoyed the camaraderie and the reason for the ride.

Hannah, keep keeping it real. We’re not all race snakes and for the vast majority of us, I dare say it’s just about turning a pedal when we can.

epicyclo

I can see the appeal. It’s nice to ride with someone who is better than you, takes you on stuff you wouldn’t normally try, and does not be an arse about it.

garage-dweller

I thought it was a nice little piece about the merits and joys of going for a ride and encouraging others to ride a bit more challenging stuff.

Or did I read a different article?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m a Dad with a shit bike. Do I win five pounds?

Enjoyed the article very much.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m a dad and enjoyed the article. Do I win a STW subscription?

Honestly, I think the OP’s post is rather odd – or am I missing their point?

I’d love to have a regular, mixed ability, just enjoy the ride, bimble every week.
    Would be great to get pushed by riders better than me or to encourage riders less experienced than me. What’s not to like?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m a dad with average riding skills and thought the article was spot in. I’ve even had the honour of going on group rides with Hannah, although not with the Wednesday crowd.

I’ve got a nice bike, but it isn’t the best and all of my kit was bought with budget very much in mind.

We ride as a bunch of mates who want to have a laugh without the need to show off.

Having re-read the OP several times I have no idea what the point is.

Oh well, its the price you pay innit?

What price? Apart from a beer and a bag of crisps it is free.

mark90
    Free Member

I totally get the article.

I ride with different bunches of folk with different outlooks and abilities. Some have all the kit, some less so. Some are into the technical side of it, fork settings etc, some less so. Sometimes I’m the dad at the back being lead down trails pushing my ability. Sometimes I’m the guy at the front getting to see the others sense of achievement when they have pushed their comfort zone. At then and of the day it’s all riding with friends, so it’s all good 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Dad here too. 2 year old and a 2 day old. Had 5 hours sleep in a couple of days. Currently doing yoga looking at my brand new bike on the turbo wondering when I will have the time and energy to actually get it outdoors….get the rides in where you can!

On the plus side I can disappear down local trails with a short detour from the nursery run, and #1 son has already been down a couple of the Southampton bike park runs (very very slowly)

jonnyboi

Just tried to read the article from the OPs point of view… It is just about possible to see his point but you need to make a fair few assumptions and use some clever mental gymnastics to get there… so overall I think OP has got this one wrong

That said, this poster quite likes gear fettling and faffing, and finds riding with slightly crappy riders on disintegrating bikes a bit of a PITA.

sas78

I enjoyed the read. Hannah and the Dads like riding bikes, together. They tried something new with Hannah, and enjoyed the experience, she enjoyed sharing it. They had fun.

There are few things more fun than riding somewhere new, and whooping. I love a whoop, it’s like being 11 again.

Lets go ride our bikes in the sun and whoop!

I think I would like that Dad ride group too.

vinnyeh

I don’t know Hannah. I don’t agree with all the points she makes.
    But, I do like her writing, and that there’s a bit of thought, humour and herself in what she writes.
    Over the years I think that Singletrack has sometimes struggled to get somebody who’s a writer rather than a journalist, and Hannah seems to write quite well, in my opinion.

jonostevens
    Free Member

I’m a dad, and my bike is 6 years old and battered. I can’t afford a new one ‘cos I’m a dad. So I just love what I have and the adventures we’ve shared because basically when you point any bike down a hill it’s fun. Especially with mates*. That’s what I took from the article anyway (which I enjoyed a lot).

* I could do with some of these having just relocated to the Quantocks, so if there is a regular dad’s ride, could someone let me know. Sounds great. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘That Hannah Dobson’ is closed to new replies.