Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • That English axle standard from a a few years ago – what and who?
  • Speeder

A few years ago now some English guys came up with a rival to the Maxle that iirc they offered pretty much FOC to the industry. I don’t think anyone took it up in the end but it seemed from the reports to be very simple and likely to be effective.

Anyone remember what it was called, how it worked or who was involved?

Cheers

gary

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Was it Hartlett.co.uk ?

Speeder

That’s the badger!

Cheers ISBW

Gary

Speeder

Very interesting that they seem to have managed to patent it and license some aspects of it out to most of the fork companies. Good on them and cheers guys.

benpinnick

I read that the opposite way – they’ve patented it and you can buy it from one or more manufacturers (presumedly Taiwanese parts manufacturers) should you want to incorporate the axle design into your frame.

I guess that the axle used by Manitou is pretty close in design, and the new Shimano one uses a collar tensioning system (like this one) so they may have needed some sort of license.

Speeder

Not sure who’s using it but from a bit of research the Maxle predates it so I’m struggling to see what could be patentable about it.

Has anyone got a copy o the document? I’m looking at using a through axle on something (not a fork) and I’d like to know whether I need to have some licensing discussions with them or if I can just do my own thing.

G

benpinnick

Why not just make it Maxle compatible? Maxle ultimates are about the pinnacle of axle design (right now) and its a simple thread on one side.

aracer
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole point of the Hartlett design that it’s not a thread, so it only takes 1/4 or 1/2 a turn, hence far quicker.

STATO
    Free Member

Why not just make it Maxle compatible? Maxle ultimates are about the pinnacle of axle design (right now) and its a simple thread on one side.

The Hartlett used a 90degree engagement, with cam to pull the axle tight against the pin.
    Original Maxle uses threaded end, screwed in an unspecified amount and then the lever expanded a wedge to hold it in place.
    Maxle Ultimate uses threaded end, screwed in an unspecified amount and then the lever to tension the axle, then take it all out to relaign the lever to where you need it to be so if hits the fork leg before it can come loose. (FYI, i can work that out easily, but I can see it being a problem for the dummys who cant even work out a normal QR)

raisinhat
    Free Member

It looks very similar to the manitou hexlock QR15, but that obviously came way afterwards (2012?). I guess the advantages to these sorts of systems are that they’re much faster, and don’t have threads to strip or seize. Downside is that they’re a bit more fiddly, and require aligning your axle before you put it back in.

There’s no real incentive for any of the big manufacturers to decide on one unified system though.

benpinnick

Isn’t the whole point of the Hartlett design that it’s not a thread, so it only takes 1/4 or 1/2 a turn, hence far quicker.

If its similar to the Manitou system (which I suspect it is) then its no quicker. That is to say on average its no quicker. The manitou system takes between 2s and as long as you want to swear at it while cursing its miserable mud tolerance. Its not easy to figure out either. I came across half a dozen riders at a race, one of which I know (and is the importer of many fine MTb products) pondering over how to get the thing undone (It had siezed up).

The point about the maxle ultimate is that it works like a normal QR – so people get that easily. It works, its simple, adjusting it is simple and permanent (unlike a Manitou QR that needs constant messing about with). Sure its not the fastest, but its all relative. I would take 5s every time over 2s the time it works then 10 minutes when it doesnt.

Speeder

benpinnick – Member

The point about the maxle ultimate is that it works like a normal QR – so people get that easily. It works, its simple, adjusting it is simple and permanent (unlike a Manitou QR that needs constant messing about with). Sure its not the fastest, but its all relative. I would take 5s every time over 2s the time it works then 10 minutes when it doesn’t.

It’s for a 110mm rear end and I’m not aware that the Maxle comes in such a size. Happy to consider one if it does.

For now though I’m thinking a nice simple Hex Hole for tightening and quick release on the dropout to lock it. It’s not going on the sort of bike which requires trail maintenance and it being strong, light & low profile is more important than speed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘That English axle standard from a a few years ago – what and who?’ is closed to new replies.