Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • That dog on the run back to Millers Dale (white Peak)
  • hora
    Free Member

The VGraphic's book warned to 'watch out for the dog'. Oh and it didn't disappoint, legging it to the gate of salvation…..Laughing with tears down my eyes!

Anyone else experienced him?!!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Guess I was lucky when I did it and didn't encounter him, mind you I was that knackered by then so I wouldn't have put up much of a fight! Great book though and some good rides in there… Really enjoyed the Longnor route

hora
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the Longnor route

We were eyeing that afterwards.

How did it compare to Longnor for you?

I liked todays ride but it isn't my favourite VGraphics route.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

chased me few weeks back. That is my quick blast route hora!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Hora- Think they are pretty similar to be honest though the Longnor one has a couple of rocky downhills at Tenterhill and Hollinsclough, actually they are really rocky bouldery type lanes…. I was on a hardtail at the time and it was hard work! Great fun though!

There was a fair bit of road/small lane riding involved too, linking everything up but I enjoyed it and the weather was good though think if your used to Dark Peak stuff it might seem a bit tame?

hora
    Free Member

if your used to Dark Peak stuff it might seem a bit tame?

Ah. The Dark Peak is better than me but I aspire to better than it 🙁

I thought Longnor would be mental?!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

you mean down the trans penine bridleway at that farm?

if so then yeah i see him quite regularly! never slowed down to see if he could get me but i think the chain he's one is a touch too short to make him any danger!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

and the longnor route is pretty good actually. not as tech as the dark peak, but defo worth a trip out….

bloodynora
    Free Member

Hora- I wouldn't say the Longnor route was 'mental' but its a damn good ride and as MrCrushrider says definitely worth doing especially if you get back into Longnor before the chippy shuts…. Best chips ever after that ride 😀

hora
    Free Member

MrCrushrider he wasn't on a chain. His owner shouted him. I turned, saw him taking a wide line after the our last rider then after the gate was shut he was on the high wall looking down at us probably wondering how he could get down to us!

I couldn't stop giggling!!! I should be 'angry but it was almost high-jinx 😀

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

bloody hell, i'll have to watch for that, he's been tied up in the past! cant be that nasty though, surely? probably his favourite game!

Would serve him right if he died of a heart attack – apparently.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

never been tied up when i have ridden past (2x per week for the last few months)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

There are two dogs on the route – one is on a chain on the left hand side. It comes belting out of it's box but can't reach you. The other one is through two gates and is most definitely not on a lead!

hora
    Free Member

ourkidsam was gracious in his sacrifice. What did you want us to do? Throw ourselves ontop of the dog! 😆

Pook

No, he left me fumbling with the gate while you lot buggered off laughing! 👿

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I wasn't laughing, I was still sprinting to get away from it's rabid jaws!

hora
    Free Member

I couldnt see properly for the tears if that helps? 😆

Rik
    Free Member

The south buxton loop in the VG book starting from Longnor – most of the ride is pleasant but the Hollingsclough descents in it at the end are very good! def make an trip out to do them!

joemarshall
    Free Member

The route in the v-graphics book is a bit short, and that loop isn't the best bit of riding in the area at all – I think it makes much more sense as part of a decent long ride. The route I link below is a bit more like it – proper good ride, and happens to have the best bits of several of the v-graphics routes in it, and some other nice trails.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jqm/Long_Matlock.gpx

One day, probably once the kid is somewhat older and lower maintenance, I will manage to take a whole long day out and do this one – 100 miles into the White Peak from nearish to my house, taking in most of the really good legal* riding in the White Peak.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jqm/White_Peak_Long.gpx

Joe

*It'd be easy to make it 150 miles with the naughty stuff that it passes, but I kind of wanted to keep it legal somehow.

hora
    Free Member

joemarshall, thats nothing we were talking about doing 300miles in a day linking up the Dark Peak and some of the 7Stanes..

joemarshall
    Free Member

joemarshall, thats nothing we were talking about doing 300miles in a day linking up the Dark Peak and some of the 7Stanes..

Yeah right. That isn't possible though, whereas my two routes are a normal days ride of about 7.5 hours and a crazy but possible 16-17 hours of riding, which would be hard, but doable by any fit and determined rider.

Joe

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not there tonight – locked in the porch 😈

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘That dog on the run back to Millers Dale (white Peak)’ is closed to new replies.