Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • That didn't last long (iphone7 content)
  • revs1972
    Free Member

So, I’ve had my iphone 7plus for a whole 5 days , and I pull it out of my pocket to use it and there is a crack running diagonally across the screen , with a further 2 in the top right corner.
    Guessing a coin in my pocket must have knocked against it.
    What a pile of s**t. I thought they were trying to market it as a more robust phone (advert where matey is going out in the rain on his bike .
    I’ve had iphone 4,5,6 before and never had an issue, I don’t know if it’s because it’s a larger screen ?
    I’ve just stuck on one of those gorilla glass type screen protectors so that it doesn’t deteriorate any further.
    Looks like that’s a £149 accident

jambalaya
    Free Member

Take it back and say it must have been faulty. Never had or heard of anyone having such an issue with a plus size

zippykona

When I was getting my mac book looked at in the genius bar I must have been about the only person not having their phone screen repaired.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have said this before, but there seems to be a disproportionately high number of broken iScreens over the years.

revs1972
    Free Member

I expect it’s quite an income stream for them.
    It’s annoying that I waited for the 7 to come out , because of the waterproofing, and now I’ve got a phone with a big crack in it. Might just as well of got the 6s and one of those life proof covers. Thing is I like the look and feel of the “naked” iPhone , and by sticking it in a box it loses that apeal.

bonjye
    Free Member

They may well replace the screen under warranty.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps I have been lucky, never broken an iPhone screen in 7 years and I have dropped mine plenty and most I have used without any case (iP 6 I have a case as its too thin otherwise)

revs1972
    Free Member

Yep, same here. Wife broke her 5s screen when the toddler had a tantrum and threw the first thing he could get his hands on , but apart from that they have all been fine

newrobdob
    Free Member

Err keeping an expensive phone in your pocket with lots of metal objects?

At least give it a fighting chance!

I always have an otter box for my phone and a screen cover. My 4 iPhones have been dropped, thrown, ridden over and never had more than tiny marks on the case.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They have recently doubled the price for new screens as well.

revs1972
    Free Member

Never had the problem before. Only had a couple of coins too. Must have been that damn £2er

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had to chuckle at a work mate, he went mental because his POS Sony Z1 compact screen cracked (mine was older and perfectly fine /smugmode)and he was getting an iPhone 6 because they were miles better and better build etc,etc…. Not even a week later…… yup he had a cracked screen 😆 I promise I didn’t laugh.

slowoldman

I’ve always kept my iPhones in a nice little leather sleeve and I don’t have loose change rattling around my pockets, so I’ve never had the problem.

convert

I’ve got a 7+. Even if it was a solid slab of glass I’d not trust it in my back pocket if I sat down. But it’s not – must be less that 1mm thick. And the whole thing is so slim the shell can’t be thick either so not contributing much to it’s rigidity.

I think the laws of physics dictate you can’t have a phone that large but slim and it not be vulnerable to cracking if subjected to torsional forces in your pocket. I accept this limitation as I wanted big this time but have got into the habit of only putting it in my jeans/trouser pocket when stood. I don’t think it’s a phone for those who want to abuse it.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’ve had my iPhone 6 Plus for 2 years (almost to the day) and it lives in my jeans front pockets, smart work trousers pocket, Camelbak, and inside pocket of motorbike leathers. Never had any issues with it or cracks, though I’m always careful that there is nothing else in there with it (money, keys etc).

PiknMix
    Free Member

Not heard of anyone cracking a 7 screen but my next door neighbour is truly tragic with iPhones. Her 6s has been cracked so many times it’s now a running joke. Her record was a night! I took it to get repaired and I shit thee not, she had cracked it later that night.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

A colleague is the same. She’s had about 12 phones since we started getting the last version of the 5 at work. Drops them when she’s trying to “pick them up” with her talons. Won’t actually pick it up using her opposable thumbs and prehensile fingers incase she chips one of her nails.

So slides it to the edge of the table and hurls it to the floor.

We’re all moving onto 6 and 7 now. She gets the returned 5s……..

Northwind

Essentially every one of the students I work with owns a recent iphone with a broken screen- they all spend every penny they can on the phone, break it pretty much instantly, then have to use it broken til they can afford the next version.

(a broken iphone screen can be kind of pretty, though!)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Never broken one either but seriously – back pocket, with other crap….
    I got the 7 for the waterproofing too as got tired of the extra size of the Lifeproof case on the 6.
    Considering putting one on it now simply because I’m used to the size of it with a case.

Cougar

Five days old? Inherent fault, take it back.

xora

Unless that coin was made of depleted uranium then the phone was faulty. Get apple to repair it under warranty.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

When I was getting my mac book looked at in the genius bar I must have been about the only person not having their phone screen repaired.

shops are awful now, they need a separate store for repairs, 99% of people in there are getting a phone sorted, not sure how your meant to browse and look at actual products

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Err keeping an expensive phone in your pocket with lots of metal objects?
    At least give it a fighting chance!

Err welcome to the real world? I’ve broken 2 phone screen in about 8 years, one was crushed in a mtb fall, the other I dropped onto the road on its corner. The rest get carried in pockets with keys and coins, no covers etc if you need to go to that much trouble your phone isn’t fit for purpose.

revs1972
    Free Member

Err welcome to the real world? I’ve broken 2 phone screen in about 8 years, one was crushed in a mtb fall, the other I dropped onto the road on its corner. The rest get carried in pockets with keys and coins, no covers etc if you need to go to that much trouble your phone isn’t fit for purpose.

My thoughts entirely. (And it was in front pocket ).

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

phone: front left
    wallet: front right
    keys: rear right
    streamlines the pocket pat

Coins? what now? I have plastic in my wallet..

kimbers

Broken a few screens, but never had an iPhone so can’t comment, I hurled my motog across the room once trying to answer it 😯 and cracked the screen
    A new one was 20 quid and a 20 min job to fit.

My wife cracked her 5 within a few weeks of getting it and she’s normally very careful with stuff.

Look around on the train of a morning I reckon 50% of phone screens are cracked, agree with northwind about the students is about 70% work them.
    It’s either a massive design flaw or a huge money spinner……

dans160
    Free Member

Dropped my 5s out of a first floor window onto bricks, nothing happened. Massive off from the bike, phone actually bent but the screen remained intact… I use a crappy silicone case bought from Maplins.

Take the 7 back.

CountZero

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Have said this before, but there seems to be a disproportionately high number of broken iScreens over the years.

And I can’t begin to count the number of other makes, usually Samsung, that I’ve seen over the years with smashed screens, probably more than I have iPhones.
    I get the impression that if someone breaks a Samsung screen, it’s not worth getting it fixed because it’s almost disposable, there’s little second-hand value, unlike iPhones.

I’ve got a 7+. Even if it was a solid slab of glass I’d not trust it in my back pocket if I sat down. But it’s not – must be less that 1mm thick. And the whole thing is so slim the shell can’t be thick either so not contributing much to it’s rigidity.

1mm? 7+ is 158.2mm long, 77.9mm wide, and 7.3mm thick

convert

1mm? 7+ is 158.2mm long, 77.9mm wide, and 7.3mm thick

The glass dumbass. If the whole product is 7.3mm thick the glass must be around 1mm thick.

aP
    Free Member

Two of my colleagues go through phones like they’re hot cakes. One of them was so inept with phones that we’ve taken his right to a phone off him. The other one apparently quite often drops them “in the toilet”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the darwin is strong in this one but two of my mates got caught up in a beer fueled pissing contest with their iphone 7s…. the ip67 ones

2 separate pint glasses

2 separate near new phones.

1 continued to work after

the other filled with water.

Now stone me if somethings sold as ip67 then it should handle that but apple didnt want anything to do with it.

but as i said – darwin. My moto G stayed in my pocket 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘That didn't last long (iphone7 content)’ is closed to new replies.