Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • That could have gone better.
  • messiah
    Free Member

I put a wee dent in my rear rim coming off a big hill on Sunday. One week old Hope/Pro2/Flow wheels on their second outing. I was running them tubeless but had to stick a tube in after pinching the tyre and dinging the rim. Went to sort it last night and a cracked the rim edge when attempting to straighten it… ARGH!!! 👿

£70 for a new rim…. ARGH!!! 👿

Could be worse I suppose. At least I can buy a rim and replace it myself which should only take a day or two… had I bought some fancy wheelset I’d be looking at sending the wheel off and waiting what could be a few weeks.

PS – my last set of these wheels is two years old and going strong… sometimes lady luck is a biatch! 🙄

D0NK

wiggle £59
    bad luck
    Just about to switch from XT UST to hope/crest, hoping not to do what you did (but theres a reasonable chance)

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’ll run fine despite the crack.

If you don’t believe me I’ll have it off you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    D0NK

It’ll run fine despite the crack.

shirley gonna have trouble running tubeless tho, think if I ding my stans I’ll leave them if they still inflate and hold air.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess bath-sealant may be required if the jizz doesn’t work, I wouldn’t be replacing my rim on this basis though.

messiah
    Free Member

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. To get it to run tubeless again I only needed to move it a tiny bit, and that I did successfully. It was when I get temped to try and get it a bit better that it cracked completely… dumbass.

I should have left it after the first tweak, there is no way it can be run now as I completely knackered it 🙄

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If it’s just a crack rather than a missing chunk, just patch over it. Pratley’s putty, chemical metal or similar. It will be fine. We superglued a friends 819 after some adjustable spanner shenanigans, and it is still holding up months down the line.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ll maybe give that putty a go… perhaps it’s not completely written off just yet then… thanks torsoinalake 😉

If I move it to my other bike it well get less of a hard time and the consequences of a failure will be less of a walk out… it’s worth a go. The rim I’ve ordered will be a good spare which I should probably have anyway.

messiah
    Free Member

Built up the are with liquid metal stuff and left to dry overnight. I’ve got the bead shape pretty good inside and built it up a bit on the inside and outside so it will hopefully be nice and strong. Fit a tyre tonight and hope for the best 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘That could have gone better.’ is closed to new replies.