Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • That Citroen ad – I'm trying to kill it
  • Mark

It’s waaay OTT and I’m trying to hunt it down to kill it dead with murder.

stumpy01

Good. 🙂 I was just about to start a new thread on it.

This is perhaps in the wrong forum? There was no mention of it in ‘chat’…

EDIT – sounded a bit aggro. Wasn’t meant to be. Was supposed to be a smiley face in there somewhere but the emotion things wouldn’t appear – but now they have, so I will stick one in… 🙂 😀 😆

wingnuts

And it doesn’t have a x to kill it. Murder is tooooooo good for it.

stevied
    Free Member

Can’t you just send it to BikeRadar? 😆

Drac

Citreon ad you say?

Don’t worry it’ll soon break.

spooky_b329

A constructive comment I hope, I think if you got rid of the STW bars down either side of the forum, it would increase the space for reading/typing, and not impinge on the space devoted to adverts.

Almost 75% of the page as I write this is made up of ‘other stuff’, 50% being ads and the other 50% being the STW vertical banners.

Give it a cleaner look and perhaps the adverts would be more prominent whilst less in-your-face.

Edit: and strangely, after posting, my works computer decided to block ‘non-secure’ content on the page, and did exactly that! Ads still here but vertical banners gone.

Mark

Those aren’t actually bars down the side. That’s the background space of the fixed width website. The days of 100% width websites are long gone thankfully. The content area is a standard design of around 1000 pixels wide. The background is only really visible for those that run browsers very big or full screen.

Cougar

We may have to agree to differ there, Mark.

(Do many people not run browsers full screen then? I don’t, but my experience is that I’m very much a minority.)

spooky_b329

I’m on a 14″ laptop so wouldn’t normally run a window that isn’t maximised, also pretty sure the bars are visible on my wife’s 10″ tablet and you cannot run a smaller window on that. (the (ahem) clutter seems a lot more intrusive than on a normal screen.

Reckon its gamer/coder types that run smaller windows as they are multitasking.

I don’t think it needs to be 100% width, maybe just use a single colour, or translucent style if you really want to put something in the margins/background.

Mark

Google analytics on this site at least suggest you are in a minority. You are definitely a data point on one 😉

Anyway… we are digressing.. That ad should have stopped about now.

Mark

The background should not be visible on mobile devices. What device is your wife using?

spooky_b329

Its a Samsung Tab 10″, I’ll double check later in case I’ve made a mistake. I don’t think it chooses the mobile version of websites as the screen is pretty big.

nbt

I run full screen, but I agree that content in a fixed width is better layout. If full width content was better, newspapers would have been using it

Cougar

Scalable width is better IMHO. Sites should render gracefully in places other than the webdev’s monitor. (-:

mogrim

Mark, could you ban this Cougar chappie for being argumentative? And wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Citroën bad, Maserati good.
    Citroën bad, Maserati good.

😉

portlyone

If I wanted smaller windows I’d use smaller monitors.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you could save money by simply putting the monitor further away

rOcKeTdOg

Mark, you should subscribe, you’ll see no adverts then….Oh, wait

nickjb
    Free Member

The background should not be visible on mobile devices. What device is your wife using?

It shows up my my android tablet. Variable width between 10 and 20 pixels. Not really in the way but pretty pointless as it can’t be read.

johnners
    Free Member

Citroën bad, Maserati good

How conflicted do you feel about the Citroën SM?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘That Citroen ad – I'm trying to kill it’ is closed to new replies.