• This topic has 52 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • That Bell in London
  • CountZero

wobbliscott » There is technology to protect he hearing of the workers a good old fashioned pair of ear defenders for a start.
    PPE – for when you can’t remove the hazard any other way.

This. There seems to be a mistaken idea that all they’re doing is giving the clock a bit of a service, and spraying some Windowlene on the clock faces and scrubbing the pigeon shit off.
    According to someone I heard on the radio today, there are a lot of structural repairs taking place, all the glass in each clock face is being removed, the paintwork all around the tower is being replaced, as well work on the clock.
    I cannot see how such extensive work could possibly take place when workmen are having to work around all the moving parts of such a big clock, and all the other stuff in a tower that size.

Anyway- 4 years? They could knock it down and build a new one quicker.

You think?
    It took thirteen years to build the existing one, you honestly imagine it would only take four years now?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Another line added to stuff STW doesn’t want to understand 😉
    It’s a very depressing list.
    Given how common it is to call London insular it’s exactly how some come across here, it’s a symbol and iconic building/sound historically it has started the news, sounded in the new year and is a constant background to those living there.
    Yes it has happened during a slow news week and yes the swivel eyed loons are jumping on it but underneath all that it is still a bit significant. Compared to a lot of the world the UK has a great depth of history and tradition which should be celebrated.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s also something you can experience perfectly adequately by listening to the radio. A good set of headphones and the experience is completely indistinguishable from the real thing. Not only that, but given new-fangled recording equipment you can listen to the bongs on demand rather than having to wait.

epicyclo

Why not relocate the whole building on to the deck of our new aircraft carrier, fill it with Brexiteers and send them off to foreign climes looking for trade agreements?

Then, when it’s a suitable distance away, sent them all our Trident missiles airmail because they also love those.

That would get rid of 3 white elephants and a load of numpties in one hit.

Or maybe that’s too Scottish a solution? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yow git mi vort… 😀

ninfan
    Free Member

But how are we going to get the news without the Bongs?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HkZGokfhjk[/video]

binners

Couldn’t they just put a big bell in the middle of that new garden bridge thing they’ve built? I’ve not seen it yet, but judging by the tens of millions of taxpayers money they’ve spent on it, it must be lovely.

franksinatra

The whole thing barely registers on my giveashitometer. This is only a conversation as it is such a quiet news time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I reckon they could but a bicycle bell on the new HS2 and start ringing it from Town right on out to the Provinces…

Imagine BloJo perched on the front of the train frantically ringing the bell with his right thumb…at 66mph (because of signalling failures, obvz)

epicyclo

franksinatra – Member
    The whole thing barely registers on my giveashitometer. This is only a conversation as it is such a quiet news time.

It’s what they’re doing while we are diverted that worries me.

What national asset has been sold off to their tax avoiding foreign billionaire chums?

There’s bound to be something going on under the radar….

scotroutes

Good point. Who is paying for the renovation?

binners

While the houses of parliament are being restored, they should move them all to an industrial unit in Telford

MSP

While the houses of parliament are being restored, they should move them all to an industrial unit in Telford Widness/Runcorn.

Anyway, everyone seems to forget the important issue, how can us expats look mournfully at the picture on our HP bottles with a tear in our eyes as we try and persuade the brown nectar onto our inferior foreign bacon, while knowing the bells are silent?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘That Bell in London’ is closed to new replies.