Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thanks – heaps of patient kind folk at ‘The Chase’ yesterday
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

Prob not the best time, or route to take your 9year olds out for their first trail run since upgrading to 24’s. Anyway, I was expecting a few grumbles and ‘looks’ but I could not have been more wrong!

Everyone that we spoke with, including those who waited/followed my lads (and me) so patiently down the really good bits (sooooo slowly) were nothing but polite, encouraging and helpful (thanks to the bike mechanic guy who stopped to administer emergency rear-mech first-aid).

I wanted to convey, especially to the hard-core fast boy’s and girls, who are indeed bike-role models to my two (speed, style…everything I’m not), the power//effect//influence that the simple spoken word has.
    My lads went from really nervous to standing up and ‘letting it flow’ so awesome to watch.

So, a huge thanks to you all for making our day perfect. I promise not to return on a busy sunny Sunday again.

MoreCashThanDash

My two are only just beginning to dabble with green and blue routes, and I have to say the overwhelming majority of riders we meet when we go out are happy to wait and/or offer advice and encouragement, and will thank us if we pull over to let them by.

Cyclists are usually really nice people, despite evidence of their behaviour on this forum sometimes.

sam_underhill

Like!

A lovely chap overtook my Mrs there last week and said “you are riding very well young lady”. She hasn’t stopped talking about it since.

Isn’t it nice when we all play well together 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoveTubs
    Free Member

Isn’t it nice when we all play well together

It SO is.

jamj1974

So good to hear this – have seen it otherwise over there and have had words with people because of it. Considerations costs nothing.

devash
    Free Member

+1 for the positive vibes in this thread.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My boy and I were at CyB a couple of years back. He chased some obviously ambling riders down, and they very nicely pretended to struggle as he came past them, saying nice things as he did. Made his week.

jkomo

Nice, I need to get my boys up there.

adi66
    Free Member

+1 on the cyclists are nice comments.

I took my little 6 year old (Lake Jump Charlie, for those of you that are Big Bike Bash’ers) over to the Chase on Friday night for his first Night Ride! At this point I must point out that he’s (and his year older brother are pretty proficient riders, and happily ride reds at Cannock & Llandegla)

We set off at 7:15, and started towards “Cardiac Hill” on the ‘Dog.
    We overtook a gang of guys that where resting at a junction, and then they came back past us as we hit the bottom of Cardiac Hill, (whilst we had a drink stop)… My lad saw this a opportunity for a cheekly little race so chased them down, and overtook one of them, giving him a casual “Alright mate” comment as he did so – to which the guy very politely, between wheezing gasps for air, gave my lad a cheer and few encouraging words. Which he loved.

We caught the erst of the gang at the top, and they followed us through the next section (to where the Dog & Monkey Split) We offered to move out of there way, and they refused… apparently they where lovin’ watching my lad ride at pace, and all commented on how much “flow” he had 🙂

You’ll be pleased to note that we did the rest of the Monkey / Dog loop in the dark, and he loved every minute of it.

Made my Lads night, and made My night too.

So thank you to whoever you were. MTB’rs are a friendly lot. 😀

joat

FWIW, I think a sunny Sunday afternoon is the best time to take your kids. I’d be more frustrated if I’d made the effort to get up early and spend a lot of time waiting for a clear trail. Anyone who gives you hassle at an easily accessible trail centre like Cannock at a traditional family time needs to take a long hard look at their own self importance.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Agree with Joat. Round here the fast fellows go early or late. They also are the ones who almost to a man or woman give my boys encouragement or thank you if you pull over for them.
    Sunday afternoon is when you are going to have issues as a rule. Last weekend was the first “spring weekend” and boy were the inept and inconsiderate out in force.

jamj1974

Joat+2

torihada
    Free Member

there’s a nice rule at Whistler Bike Park; you’re not allowed to overtake on the blues. Beginners/slower riders have right of way. Its very good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Big like for this thread. Love seeing kids out on the trails. Just hope my two will want to go riding with their dad when they are old enough 🙂

empireofthefun
    Free Member

+1 for what torihada says. Good way to help beginners get up to speed. Just hope one day that my son will take an interest in mtb’s. Prefers computers I’m afraid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thanks – heaps of patient kind folk at ‘The Chase’ yesterday’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts