Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Thank you to the rider at Afan yesterday
  • aracer
    Free Member

…who moved his bike out of the way so that I could get past his group who’d spread themselves over the whole width of the fireroad when they stopped.

Shame his group was stopped right by where the singletrack turned back off the fireroad and the gap made was right against the side it turned off from, making it impossible to turn onto the singletrack without stopping and lifting my bike round (I don’t do trials hippy hoppy stuff).

No thanks at all to the member of his group who was sitting on top of the marker post signing the turn off, completely hiding it, so that the first I knew of the turn off was as I came alongside the turn and spotted the trail (I suppose it could have been worse – if the gap had been on the opposite side of the fireroad I might not have even spotted the singletrack).

If you’re in a huge group and feel the need to stop and spread across the whole of the fireroad at the start of a bit of singletrack at a trail centre, why not try and avoid blocking the way for others – something which could have easily been managed by simply riding on another 10m?

Surely some member of that group must be a STW member? Anybody else riding at Afan yesterday?

Carpediem
    Free Member

What trail? What section?

aracer
    Free Member

Y Wal, start of Nant y Bar (has to be my favourite section of that trail, and possibly my favourite stretch of trail centre I’ve ridden anywhere). Is that significant?

Carpediem
    Free Member

No, not really, just being nosy that’s all.

I was up there about 3pm… got soaked to the skin.
    Wall’s running really well at the moment.Loving it.

alpin
    Free Member

rule #4… don’t obstruct other trail users….

GW
    Free Member

and yet you couldn’t muster up the courage to say any of that to them at the time? 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

I finished at Rhyslyn at ~3:30, so probably just missed you Cd – it started raining whilst I was in the car going home 🙂 Met this group at ~1:30 (I’m not really slow – rode W1.5, my shortened version of W2 riding only the first and last sections of W2 singletrack on White’s Level, with a fireroad climb in between).

hugor
    Free Member

I’m curious about the 1.5 bit.
    After Windy Point you come out onto the fireroad which is just befor Energy.
    Which way do you turn to get to the final singletrack section which is Darkside?

aracer
    Free Member

hugor – you misunderstand. I’m riding White’s Level as part of W2, in the middle of riding Y Wal. Hence (having checked the trail map) the first section of singletrack is Energy and the last is Windy Point. Don’t ever go to Glyncorrwg.

hugor
    Free Member

Oh I see so your coming along the fireroad from Y Wal, then do Energy, then climb back up the long fireroad to get back to Windy Point.
    That skips the best 2 sections of Whites IMO which are Goodwood and Darkside!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Living in the south west and also being half a rural French peasant, I am well used to people loitering harmlessly but with very little thought for others in a hurry. Imagine how hard it was for me to remember to stand on the right side of the escalators on the tube….

Really I need to consider more seriously that those 20 or so seconds could have bust you from 9th down to 12th. Still, makes a change from usual moans on here about noobs fixing punctures with the bike across the singletrack though I suppose. 😛

neninja
    Free Member

Same happened at Grizedale a few weeks back. A group of 15-20 lads all blocking the start of the singletrack across to Parkamoor with bikes lying all over. We had to ask them to let us through, even though it was obvious where we were trying to go.

Milkie
    Free Member

I rode W2 on Saturday, on the Wall uphill, there were two guys hiding a trail marker. To be fair one of them was telling everyone which way to go and giving everyone tips and telling them what bit they will like despite not knowing any of them.

When I got to Windy Point there was about a group of 15 people (stormtroopers) after the stye, just sat on there bikes, moved out the way eventually, seemed shocked that someone was going past them. Didn’t say a word, despite me muttering “lovely weather this!”, as the rain scraped my skin off!

Was following another guy, that decided to just slam his brakes on and taking in the view! He didn’t even realise he had 4 people behind him, he was a newbie, and it was a nice view!

I had another guy shout at me “do you wanna get past!?”, didn’t hear the first time, so shouted at me again with more aggression “do you wanna get past”, I was quite happy pumping the ground while he was pedaling along, if it annoyed him that much, he could’ve just pulled over, I was about 20-40 ft behind him, wasn’t on his wheel giving him hassle, but I’m guessing he could hear the hope hub, he eventually crashed, made sure he was ok, then went OTB myself about 8 seconds later, luckily he was out of sight.

Always start W2 at Afan Forest Park (showers are much better here), Wal uphill, across to Whites Energy, goodwood, darkside, Whites uphill, black run, windy point then back across to Wal for the descent, that goes uphill (wasn’t happy the first time I did this) then drive to Glyncorrwg for Lasagne with spicy potatoes!

Soaked to the bone, covered in mud, best ride at Afan yet, and I’ve been going every weekend for a couple of months now.

wrecker
    Free Member

To be fair one of them was telling everyone which way to go and giving everyone tips and telling them what bit they will like despite not knowing any of them.

Just sounds like he was being friendly to me.

Milkie
    Free Member

Just sounds like he was being friendly to me.

Yup, probably right, I’ve been guilty of that, only a couple of times tho. 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It happens all the time where ever you go. Always the groups of blokes padded up to the hilt, and feel the need to woop and yay as they are going along because they are so rad.

Last time it happened to me was at Gisburn when a bunch decided to stop at the end of a singletrack section, just where it met the fireroad. They appeared to be that engrossed in how rad, gnar and awesome they were that they didnt realise they were blocking the trail.

We asked them politely to move to which they appeared a little cheesed off.

Later on in the trail they again decided to stop, this time along a nice fast singletrack section, again I assume to talk about how fooking brilliant they all were. This time we were not polite and pushed passed them, which again appeared to pee them off a little.

Still not as bad as the idiot who thought it was a good idea to ride round with his dog, and then failed to control the dog properly as I met them going down Hully Gully.

aracer
    Free Member

Always start W2 at Afan Forest Park

I’m a cheapskate, so as mentioned above I usually start at Rhyslyn. That also used to miss out 5km of flat boring stuff, though with the new diversion, riding from Afan does at least make better logistical sense. If riding from Rhyslyn the question is where to fit in Omega – I did it at the end as signed, bit it would probably make more sense to ride it first.

That skips the best 2 sections of Whites IMO which are Goodwood and Darkside

Yeah, but I was time limited (hence another reason for riding from Rhyslyn) – if you’ve got time for more than Y Wal, but not for the whole of W2 then W1.5 gives you the best VFM. The alternative I suppose is a couple of laps of Y Wal or sessioning some of the sections, but W1.5 avoids repetition.

dazzlingboy

Wow – all sounds very stressful – the opposite of what I’m looking for when I go biking! Is this a local issue or are people seeing the same everywhere? I can’t recall any unpleasantness at a trail centre – good natured banter or a friendly hello is about it. Lots of posing in the car park but never aggression as far as I recall.

Milkie
    Free Member

It’s the first time I’ve had someone shout at me on the trail, had the evils off a couple of people before (probably checking out the bike, rather than giving me evils). Complete opposite to last week, had a great laugh, loads of people, all chatting/bantering (size of shoes, where the rest of their group are etc) with each other, but the weather was a lot nicer then.

FuzzyWuzzy

FunkyDunc – Member
    It happens all the time where ever you go. Always the groups of blokes padded up to the hilt, and feel the need to woop and yay as they are going along because they are so rad

FFS get a life, firstly it’s none of your business what gear people choose to ride in. Secondly, holy shit, people are enjoying themselves whilst riding, can’t have that can we?

Milkie
    Free Member

Not if they are blocking the trail from other users having fun. You can have fun off the trail. 😕

rocketman
    Free Member

It happens all the time where ever you go

^^ this

Last week’s visits to Cannock saw:
    * obligatory group(s) at the Werewolf
    * high-fivers at the end of Tacks Blast
    * a couple of chavs looking for their dog on Upper Cliff FFS
    * obligatory group at the top of the first Monkey climb “Sheet how steep was that?” 🙄 🙂
    * several encounters with the training schools – I know you go out when it’s quiet but some of your students are frickin’ hopeless
    * several blokes with gf in tow “come on, you’ll enjoy it”
    * multiple family groups with simply no idea

But the trails are for everyone to enjoy eh 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy hit a nerve have I?

I wasnt saying you cant wear padding or vocalise your enjoyment for the wonderful things you do, all I am saying is that the type of people who like to express their joy and excitement of this fantastic enjoyable sport, are always the ones blocking the trail at some point. Some times I might even wee myself because I’m having so much fun, but I still manage not to block the trail.

grum
    Free Member

Wow some of you really need to CTFO or not ride at trail centres. 🙄

I can’t recall any unpleasantness at a trail centre – good natured banter or a friendly hello is about it.

Me neither.

D0NK

Dunno grum I rarely ride at trail centres but think I’d get, well not stressed but irked, by daft bahaviour like above. They are fairly busy places so it’s like stopping your car in the middle of a main road to have a chat or check out the view. Most of my rides I rarely see another rider and not so many walkers so stopping wherever I want isn’t generally a problem, I’d be quite concious of it at a TC.

grum
    Free Member

Dunno grum I rarely ride at trail centres but think I’d get, well not stressed but irked, by daft bahaviour like above.

You’re probably right, but I can’t recall ever seeing it when i ride trail centres – and I wonder if some of the people above are actually being massively over-sensitive/exaggerating.

But I mostly ride in places you rarely see other riders too.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the only “bad” behaviour (more a lack of manners) I’ve encountered is people (normally lycra’d up types) not even saying thanks if I get out of the way to let them pass on the climbs. So nothing really, I just normally shout “THAT’S ALRIGHT” or “YOU’RE WELCOME” loudly.
    Thing is, there are no set rules for our hobby. No signs or guidance on trail manners. IMBA trail rules are pretty good;

IMBA developed the “Rules of the Trail” to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.
    Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don’t cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.
    Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.
    Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you’re coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
    Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.
    Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the only “bad” behaviour (more a lack of manners) I’ve encountered is people (normally lycra’d up types) not even saying thanks if I get out of the way to let them pass on the climbs. So nothing really, I just normally shout “THAT’S ALRIGHT” or “YOU’RE WELCOME” loudly.

Uh oh, this is now going to degrade into the ‘x type of rider don’t say hello’ debate!

Maybe they’re only going quicker than you because they’re actually blowing out of the arse and are beyond speech!? I said hello to about 10 groups of riders I saw on Saturday (whilst out with aP on a CX bike), the vast majority didn’t even make eye contact, let alone reply. Makes me laugh! But yes, there are morons everywhere, trail centre or not. People are selfish and stupid as a general rule, with a few rare exceptions.

grum
    Free Member

Uh oh, this is now going to degrade into the ‘x type of rider don’t say hello’ debate!

Um, it already did – funny you didn’t see fit to criticise the derogatory comments about ‘groups of blokes padded up to the hilt’.

njee20
    Free Member

Alright love, calm down, it was a tongue in cheek comment! Don’t get your body armour in a twist 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I find it a little weird. Not matter how hard I’m hanging out of my arse, when I’m out on my bike I’m in the best mood ever! Everyone gets a smile, I can’t help it.

grum
    Free Member

Alright love, calm down,

I’m quite calm – lycra wearing nobber. Shouldn’t you be off somewhere getting a nice EPO blood transfusion or something? 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be off somewhere getting a nice EPO blood transfusion or something?

Not allowed another one this week – not after what I took at the weekend before setting my record lap time on Y Wal.

jam-bo

and yet you couldn’t muster up the courage to say any of that to them at the time?

^^^^

this

ctrl
    Free Member

@ Milkie.

I also rode W2 Saturday. I think I know exactly what group you are on about 🙂 Although I was waiting under those trees too. Hopefully I weren’t associated with them ha.

I passed them on the Whites climb where they had about 15 bikes sprawled across one of the switchbacks. When they saw me coming they all leaped on their bikes trying to move them out of the way. Surely they must have known that maybe…just maybe someone would be coming up the very hill they just climbed at some point in the day. It’s a good job I’m not that much of a moaner and didn’t mind too much 😀

GW
    Free Member

So apparently it takes super powers these days to communicate with strangers (or call people names without the anonymity of a forum tagging system?) oh well.. back to ironing my cape 🙄

BoardinBob

Some cringeworthy chat in this thread 😳

donsimon
    Free Member

Thank you to the rider at Afan yesterday

‘Twas nothing but a pleasure.
    Next?

rossrobot
    Free Member

Whenever I’m out riding with a big group and we stop, there’s always a couple within the group that stand smack bang in the centre of the trail and are oblivious to others wanting to get past. I guess some people just don’t think. As soon as one of the more considerate members of the group notices we quickly move them out of the way.

cookeaa

It seems odd to me that people go to trail centres (Where you would most likely expect a “broad cross-section” of the MTBing community) and then bitch about meeting other people (and moan about their slighly different take on MTBing too it would seem) quite what snooty, know it all, arses who look down on “Stormtroopers” and “Noobs” are doing at a hot spot for them other than looking for someone to whine about on a Web forum is beyond me…

Why not just piss off into the non way-marked wilderness with your Ray Mears Action Luchbox and compass and bitch about how kids these days can’t read a map, wear too much armour and enjoy MTBing too much…

Get over it ladies, a few seconds of dealing with those who are a bit less considerate than your (Clearly infalable) selves and you can carry on with your day…
    Or spend the rest of your ride convincing yourself it was a passive aggressive act, intended to prevent you from setting a new PB on the Wall, and getting back in time for a slice of cake…

I doubt they paid half as much attention to the Solo free-mincer who scowled his way past them as they re-grouped before that bit of singletrack…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Thank you to the rider at Afan yesterday’ is closed to new replies.