Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Textdoor neighbour – what the &@£ ?
  • diz

I got a phone call earlier today from a number that was the same as mine apart from the last number was a 6, instead of a 4!

A giggling bloke states “you are my textdoor neighbour, where do you live”?

Being suspicious of people I don’t know and giving personal details to them, I politely said I wasn’t prepared to state this information and he promptly hug up. I’ve since blocked the number but he persists on trying to call and has left numerous lengthy voice mails of silence.

Have any of the stw experienced this behaviour?

Am I just being over sensitive and should I return the call and embrace the experience?

matt_outandabout

Poopscoop

Perfectly harmless mate.

This was a “thing” a few years back. It was really clever to call the number “next to yours” on your mobile or land line.

It’s a millennial thing….

EDIT: The call backs hint at a bit of a…. Erm… “personality” issue though. Just keep blocked and ignore. He’s desperate for a response from you. Don’t give him that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Block him and move on.

Houns

Register with their number for various ppi companies

v8ninety

Blocked numbers can leave messages? That’s a bit of a tech fail, no? Weird

nixie

Call is blocked by the handset so goes to voicemail instead.

rene59
    Free Member

It’s a pain in the arse. I’ve had to block my own providers number as they keep calling trying to sell me upgrades. Now I get a voicemail notification every night instead. Going to have to change provider now.

piha
    Free Member

@ diz

Maybe you should embrace your new textdoor neighbour gentleman friend?

He might be a lovely man and if you gave him a chance, a nice warm friendship could emerge. You might have lots of things in common, maybe a hobby or something?

Aren’t you just a little bit curious as to whom your new gentleman friend might be?

zilog6128

on iPhone they can leave a message but you won’t get a notification so you won’t know unless you actually check. I think the idea is so they don’t know they’re blocked (which they would if they couldn’t leave a message).

funkmasterp

Take it up a level and send him a picture of yourself naked

RobHilton
    Free Member

Take it up 2 levels and send him a picture of Molgrips in his Captain America onesie

ads678

Take it up a level and send him a picture of yourself naked

Holding a sign saying “**** off weirdo”.

joat

My textdoor neighbour on mobile is my wife, earlyish days of mobiles and we got them together, getting on for 20 years ago. I’ll not bother trying with the neighbour on the other side though.

jekkyl

if he rings back,. donald trump soundboard.

Donald Trump Soundboard

garage-dweller

If it doesn’t stop sharpish I would be reporting as a malicious/nuisance call. Guidance from West Mercia police below. Other police forces are available (subject to budget cuts).

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/article/5669/Malicious-or-nuisance-phone-calls

CountZero

I kept getting calls from a number I didn’t recognise, I didn’t answer because it’s really iffy taking calls when driving, which is what I do for much of the day, but they never left a message I googled the number, seems it’s O2 Business. I’m on O2 but rarely get calls from them. Tried calling it, but got put on hold, so I blocked it. No more calls.

Orange, who I was with for a while, were the worst for dealers cold-calling touting deals for upgrades, even when I wasn’t due for one. I kept getting them for nearly two years after I went to O2, because I ported the number. The callers were very confused when I stopped them and said I’m not with Orange, I’m with O2.

Orange were clearly passing my number around their dealer network. Stopped now, thankfully.

garage-dweller

@countzero

Used to get those too. Lots of 0207 numbers from one particular Orange reseller. Seemed to follow a monthly pattern. 5-10 calls over two days then quiet for a few weeks and repeat as nauseum. Orange refused to sort it.

Phone registered with TPS was only way to stop it. Still doesn’t stop the unsolicited accident/ppi calls.

And while I’m at it EE your latest advert with the  Peep Show bloke using a phone while in the driving seat of a car loaded with children in a public place WTAF is up with that? Way to go with normalising a dangerous and criminal act.

olly2097
    Free Member

Definitely a millennial thing as said. Me, my wife (millennials by definition) and our millennial friends all do it……

dirksdiggler
    Free Member
    kerley
    Free Member

And while I’m at it EE your latest advert with the  Peep Show bloke using a phone while in the driving seat of a car loaded with children in a public place WTAF is up with that?

I believe he is in a private safari park and the car is stationary.  Is it illegal to use a phone when car is stopped, engine off?  Write to advertising regulator (in green ink) if you think they have done something wrong.

funkmasterp

Just followed that link WTF?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Textdoor neighbour – what the &@£ ?’ is closed to new replies.