• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by fossy.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dent in frame
  • mancjon
    Free Member

My bike fell over and somehow has got a dent in the top tube (not a crash). It is an aluminium Pinnacle Lithium hybrid and I use it for commuting every day and then light off road at weekends etc.t

Doesn’t seem that bad and it is not creased but just looking for some advice as to whether it is still safe to cycle ?

dent1

dent2

dent3

Edit – pictures have come out quite small in post so here is link to gallery as well –

https://postimg.cc/gallery/p8q6Fhx

Thanks

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Yes. Just looks unsightly. I have a similar dent after a run in at speed with two dogs. Can’t remember how many years ago, but it’s been fine. Difficult to use as an excuse for a new bike!

mancjon
    Free Member

To be honest it’s not really that noticeable and would much rather it was okay, can’t be doing with buying a new bike 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Badge of honour. Ride it with pride!

razorrazoo

I’ve had a Genesis CDA that has an identical dent in it like that in the same place from when the bike fell onto a planter.  I filled it with JB Weld, sanded it and popped a sticker on top.  That must’ve been 5+ years ago.  It’s still my winter bike / gravel bike / commuter.

mancjon
    Free Member

Does the Weld stuff do anything to make it stronger or was it just cosmetic to cover the dent ?

I’m actually not bothered about the sight of it and I think these Pinnacles were built pretty tough, just don’t want it failing on me all of a sudden when I am 30 miles from home on one of my longer rides.

ads678

I used an Orange Five for a few years that had a worse dent in the top tube than that. Don’t worry about it.

razorrazoo

Does the Weld stuff do anything to make it stronger or was it just cosmetic to cover the dent ?

Don’t think so, just filled the dent nicely.

jameso

I was Product Manager at Pinnacle at the time that one was made. They’re not particularly thick-wall tubes there but it’ll be ok to ride, it won’t suddenly fail.

mancjon
    Free Member

Cheers to everyone who replied, looks like I’ll carry on riding it then 🙂

They may not be the most expensive bikes around but I really like them, can turn their hand to most most things and I may keep an eye out for a spare frame from one of the older models just in case.

fossy

Just cosmetic, won’t fail like others have said. If you don’t like the look, just fill it and pop a sticker on it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.