• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA: Bothy Bikes Avie(no)more
  • scotroutes

For many years, the answer to “what trails to ride in Aviemore” has been to pop into Bothy Bikes and talk to Dave and staff to get the latest updates. This is just to say that Bothy Bikes has now relocated to Kingussie, where they’ll be hiring and selling e-bikes amongst other things. The old Bothy premises by the Co-op now houses backcountry.scot. I’m sure Andy and Co will be only to happy to pass on latest trail updates if you’re in the area and pop in to browse/acquire some additional bikepacking or packrafting kit 😉   I believe he is also going to have an accessiible workshop and tools which can be rented by the hour. Might be handy if you are in the area and need to do some repairs.

scotroutes

onewheelgood

I SAID ignore!!!

Are you new here?

<edit> Sneaky </edit>

convert

Ah, that’s a shame. Good luck to Bothy Bikes in their next location.

But a bike packing and packrafting store in the area is kinda cool. I hope there’s enough demand for it to be a goer in bricks and mortar.

swavis

Backcountry have always had a store, they’ve just relocated. They resell used gear to I think, at least they did.

Oblongbob

I’ve bought a few things online from backcountry.scot and the service has been great. Will definitely pop in next time I’m in aviemore.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds an interesting shop, best of luck to both.

oldtennisshoes

So that’ll be the 4th location I visit for Bothy bikes.
    I wonder what influence Tiso has had on that decision?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d Imagine that location next to the coop and the chippy isn’t cheap.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Back country used to be in a random place. I was Googling on my phone pack rafting while waiting for a work van to be checked over after a deer murdering.

Looked up and there was a shop all about it.

Was shut though.

scotroutes

They resell used gear to I think, at least they did.

The Consigment Store is very much active. I sold my old fatbike through it. With a bit more space, it should be even better.

didnthurt

Shame, I was in Bothy bikes only a few weeks past.

ton

Aviemore seemed ideal for the bike rental side of things. good access straight into the forest network.
    Kingussie maybe not so ? it is out of the way a bit.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yeah. I was thinking the same.
    I always mix up Kingussie and Newtonmore, but hasn’t one of them already got a bike shop…

swavis

The Consigment Store is very much active

Ahh, good to know. Cheers

oldbloke
    Free Member

I always mix up Kingussie and Newtonmore, but hasn’t one of them already got a bike shop…

Kingussie has the Wee Bike Hub, which opened this year where the less good chippy was.

sillyoldman

Best of luck to David and Andy – look forward to seeing both of their new shops.

nstpaul

The best thing about Kingussie is obviously the people who live here 😉. But seriously, there’s a lot of effort going on here to make the place a cycling hub for the area via Cycle Friendly Kingussie with various events held through the year and infrastructure developments such as the bike parking/public tool station in place at the memorial park that has been installed recently. There’s plans for a pump track and several other improvements planned. The Wee Bike Hub that was previously at Laggan Wolftrax is now on the high street so I would imagine Bothy Bikes would not be direct competition as slightly different in their positioning in the market.
    There’s plenty of good riding of all types around here and at the end of the day only 15 minutes drive from Aviemore if you really feel the need to vist.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Shame Bothy Bikes has moved I liked that location. It was a bit hidden away though. Maybe the main drag in Kingussie will attract more trade, assuming it’s on the main drag.

In my opinion Aviemore could do with a bike lift like the Nevis range gondola and a blue doon and Top Chief. A bike hire shop located up at the mountain car park would do well then.

Appreciate the area has tons of biking trails but that would just elevate it as a destination.

poly
    Free Member

Aviemore seemed ideal for the bike rental side of things. good access straight into the forest network.

They must know the area well enough to assess that? I’d guess they’ve seen a change in market dynamic. Competition. More visitors – but perhaps more likely to have their own bikes. Higher overheads. E-bikes – is that a different customer base? Busier trails? They’ve got enough of a reputation that moving 5 miles down the road probably isn’t the end of the world (especially since its not a bike shop that’s moved in where they were). Its always struck me that the real opportunity in that part of the world was not a shop but a hire delivery service. Either a van that comes to you fits you out and leaves you with a bike (probably for longer – ku-ching!) or that you prebook and is waiting for you locked up outside your accommodation when you arrive. You still need premises but not at Aviemore high st prices!

gordimhor

Best of luck to both in their new premises. Almost went to Bothy Bikes at the weekend, for spare tube. Didnt know about Backcountry would probably have spent a bit of time in there.

mashr

Stiff competition from/for the Wee Bike Hub in Kingussie, unless they are also somehow involved?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Bothy Bikes Avie(no)more’ is closed to new replies.