Tessa Tape not sticking down.

Home Forum Bike Forum Tessa Tape not sticking down.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tessa Tape not sticking down.
  • mjsmke

I’m going crazy with this one. Having done 2 other wheelsets without any issues i can’t work out where I’m going wrong.

Using Tessa tape on DT M421 rims i just can’t get it to stick in the middle doing the following:

Rim has been properly cleaned.

Tape and rim warmed up next to a radiator.

Tape pulled so tight my fingers hurt for some time after.

Then tape pressed down hard with a clean towel.

Tire inflated with a tube over night.

Then when i take the tube out it looks like the tape has almost shrunk making it really difficult to press down in the middle.

It sticks fine at the edges and to its self so maybe it will be ok?

Help me before I resort to gorilla tape!

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

assuming you have cleaned the rim with IPA type stuff, and everything is temperature stable and warmish, are you maybe pulling the tape too tight ?  I don’t think it needs much tension.  Is the tape the right width for the rim ?

Are you keying the rim?

Even IPA won’t touch the surface of the anodizing if it’s too smooth for adhesion.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

as above, I rough up the surface with sandpaper (obviously then clean off the dust!) before applying the tape

Milkie

I had a problem with some other sticky tapes and was told by the manufacture that adhesive tapes don’t stick very well when below 20°C ish. You can also completely ruin the adhesive if it’s at a very high temp and will never stick well again.

As above, make sure the rim is warm room temp along with the tape.

submarined

Yup, only way I could get the bloody stuff to stick was by roughing up the surface.

Pita. Rather just use monkey tape and reapply every time.

bigyinn

Perhaps you’re pulling it too tight? I’d also suggest perhaps roughing up the rim well with some fine-ish sandpaper to help it stick better.
    *edit* TOO SLOW

mjsmke

Im hoping i’m just pulling the tape too hard. Its 25mm tape for a 25mm rim. Gets good coverage and the tire bead covers the edge of the tape well.

I’ve just cleaned the rim again (using an IPA based solvent) so i’ll try again this afternoon.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Its 25mm tape for a 25mm rim.

given the concave nature of the rim, you actually want tape a bit wider if you want to cover it wall-to-wall in one hit (assuming you’re butting it right up to the wall). The tape isn’t meant to stretch into the cavity. Could try 2 wraps of tape, one butted right up against one wall & the 2nd butted up against the other.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Won’t you need slightly wider tape to account for the deviation into the rim bed? If you want to tape right up to the edge of the bead, that is.

Must admit, I focus on getting it fixed properly in the rim bed, where the spoke holes are, rather than worrying too much about it sitting right up against the rim edge.

I can see why it pops back up if you’re fixing to the edge then forcing it down in the middle.

jsm

I’m a big fan of using narrow tessa tape, wrapped three times. Once around left edge, once around right edge and last in the middle. the combined force seems great

mjsmke

So maybe lightly sanding the surface is the answer. It’s anodized (I think) and not really that smooth.

Also I could do 2 wraps as suggested so it covers the entire rim. It does seem to stick to itself well.

I never got on with it, now always use Gorilla tape. Cheaper and easier, though probably needs replacing more frequently if you’re a serial tyre swapper…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

How old is the tape?

I have found it can ‘go off’ after a while if left in the garage.

mjsmke

Tape is only about a month old and kept indoors. It’ really sticky but like stand tape not very flexible.

Put it on with a reasonable amount of tension, then get a tyre and tube on it. One inflated to a reasonable pressure the tape seems to stick and becomes a pita to get off without tearing. The glue is probably pressure sensitive rather than contact.

It does also seem to need a nice warm room temperature, I put my wheels by the radiator so they’re actually warm (well, probably 25C) rather than just ambient.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Ironically having this exact problem with a Reynolds carbon rim I’m  looking at for someone. Will try a little emery cloth on it.

mjsmke

Well I’ve given it another go. This time I went round the rim with a medium wire wool before cleaning with a solvent. I also did a bit of measuring and the 25mm tape only leaves about a 1.5mm gap between its edge and the rim wall so should be covered well with the tire bead. I also found a good video that showed moving the tape roll side to side to really get it into the deeper part of the rim. This seemed to work well so i’m leaving it pumped up with a tube at 40psi over night and I’ll check again tomorrow afternoon.

trail_rat

Surely if it’s still inflated no need to remove it and look at it ?

mjsmke

Surely if it’s still inflated no need to remove it and look at it ?

It’s inflated with a tube to press the tape down. Thats the problem I’ve had…it presses down for a while then springs back up when I take the tube out. The 2nd time I tried it was like the tape shrunk and was really hard to press down to the spoke holes.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Abrasion FTW.

The original Stans instructions advised taking some emery paper to the rim before taping. Usually not necessary these days but if it’s not sticking, you’ve degreaser properly and it’s all at room temperature then that’s what is left…

PJay

I had this problem with Stans tape on my Hope XC rims. The recommended tape width for these rims was 21mm but it seemed as there wasn’t enough adhesion in the tape to counter its natural propensity to pop back to flat after it was pushed down into the curved bed of the rim; 2 bikes shops also failed to get the tape to stick.

My local LBS used 25mm tape which fitted bead to bead and this stuck down and held.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

If it’s well stuck at the sides then you’ll be fine anyway IME. That’s the bit of the tape that’s creating the seal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.