Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tesco clubcard vouchers
  • Harry_the_Spider

First of all let me apologise for shopping at Tesco. I realise that this makes me a bad man who has systematically destroyed my local high street.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way…

Yesterday me and the missus had a slap up lunch at Café Rouge (apologies again) and paid for it with clubcard reward vouchers.

So, £15 in vouchers pays for a £60 bill. Presumably this is worth everyone’s while. I get a practically free lunch and Tesco get my continued custom (sorry again), but how do Café Rouge make anything on this? All that I paid for with real money was the wine (house red – sorry) and the tip.

geoffj

I do the same at Pizza Express – good innit!

ads678

We use Tesco points for channel crossings, used to use them on the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry but they’ve stopped doing that now, so we go down to the tunnel instead.

Only really get diesel from tesco too.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

OT but Clubcard vouchers are good for the Channel Tunnel too, every £10 of vouchers is worth £30 off a crossing. They paid for my crossing last summer for the Alps trip.

Edit: Beaten to it by Ads. Ha!

jekkyl

We save them up and have a 2 night spa break with all food included. Just pay for drinks & fuel. Can’t go wrong!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I assume that Cafe rouge charge this out to tesco at near cost, therefore benefiting from increased footfall and turnover, and maybe repeat custom from first timers (if it’s good) They make money on anything else you might buy too. Wine etc.

If you’ve got £15 of clubcard vouchers you’ve spent £1500 at Tesco, so they can absorb the cost of the meal, and give you a 3% rebate essentially on your shopping.

Tracey

Used them for swapping for years, had holidays abroad, weekends away, use them every year for the chunnel for our Alps trip. Also had cameras and phones for the girls when stuff is on offer.

A few years ago they had an offer on Vinasol wine at £7.00 a bottle at the time we were looking for a half term family holiday. If you bought a bottle you got £7.00 of clubcard points. Kevin did the sums and we ended up with 20 cases in the garage. gave us £840 of clubcard points he also used a double clubcard points voucher at the checkout. We swapped the points at 1 for 4 when you could pay for a full holiday with them. [think they have a limit on the amount now] It paid for a two week all inclusive family holiday in Egypt.

Tesco must be getting something out of it

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep we do it every christmas, bought £190 worth of tesco finest wine a couple of weeks ago using our doubled up vouchers.

lister

Tesco bought all the presents for my kids this year. Can’t remember the exact figures but we got near on £200 worth of toys and things for some doubled up clubcard points and about £4 cash to top up.
    We just kept adding things to the basket online, there were also 2 for £15 or £30 offers in there too so it was a proper bargain.

I, too, know I am evil for shopping at Tesco and not spending my money driving between all the local farm shops…but they bought all my kids presents!! 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

It’s the self-service checkouts that they have in Tesco instead of actual people on checkouts that puts me off.

Like all massive chains (Costa, Maccy D’s, etc) they’re perceived to be evil but they still employ a lot of local people. when they start to blatantly cut back on that one redeeming feature I get narky about it.

Still, you can’t knock saving money, eh?

totalshell

dont for one minute think that tesco are paying for your free lunch in any way. the entire cost is borne by the third party.

the scheme was once very lucrative 5 years ago when the deal was 4 for 1 and the range of products available much larger.

we used to take a fortnights holiday in the south of france ( usually with pierre et vacances)paid in full other than the deposit with vouchers..

i use a tesco credit card for all my personal and business purchases and with a typical monthly bill being 10-12k the points rack up very quickly indeed.. pizza express is a sure fire faourite, try the xmas pork pizza)

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s the self-service checkouts that they have in Tesco instead of actual people on checkouts that puts me off

They still have real human people operating checkouts you know.

terrahawk
    Free Member

thanks. I know this. Just not as many.

fasthaggis

When you could change them up for air miles,we all flew to Canada half price. Winner.

This Xmas they paid for half the price of an i-pad for my son (and a toaster).

He will be pleased ,and I love toast 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, slow aren’t they.

I don’t understand how the Clubcard works.

sandwicheater

This deal paid for all our booze/Christmass food last year. Did save them up for a couple of years and would prefer not to give any thought to how much we would have had to spend to get them.

fasthaggis

I don’t understand how the Clubcard works.

You have to become a slave to Tesco Dez ,and do as much or all of your shopping there,harvesting all those clubcard point deals.Get one of their credit cards and you get points where ever you shop.
    If you don’t want them I will have them* 🙂

* only joking,I am not that bad ….yet

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We’re using them again for our regular two or three nights away between Christmas and New Year. The Hilton on Brighton sea front this time.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

dont for one minute think that tesco are paying for your free lunch in any way. the entire cost is borne by the third party.

Interesting. What makes you think this? Just curious?

Harry_the_Spider

Feeling the love for Tesco here. It also pays for our RAC and English Heritage membership along with loads of days out.

Can the local farm shop do that eh?

Hohum
    Free Member

We use them at our local Pizza Express.

One of the managers in there was a right whinger and once we heard him say that they make very little on tesco clubcard voucher meals.

Gary_M
    Free Member

thanks. I know this. Just not as many.

I’m not sure that’s the case, I don’t believe checkout operators have been made redundant due to the introduction of the self scan facilities.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, Tesco users here – Got a few hundred quids worth of Topps tiles vouchers this summer which bought all the tiles for our house re-firb.

We’ve had a holiday out of them, loads of family days out, and Ask Pizza vouchers.

I buy all my fuel at Tesco (£200+ per month) which helps…

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m liking the current offer – spend £130 a week in Oct and Nov (easy) and get £70 off a £130 shop for Christmas – banging our order in tonight… (and I’ll put my remaining ClubCard vouchers against it too)

drslow
    Free Member

The self service did away with 2 maybe 3 checkouts. They now have people with big signs pointing to short queues!! I think staff just got redistributed, plus they need someone to monitor the self scan, plus the delivery drivers for home delivery and no doubt they’ve opened another Tesco a few miles away. Cant see how jobs have been lost.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Cant see how jobs have been lost.

maybe it’s a trial. our local Tesco plan to install 3 times as many of these things over the next year or so, I’m led to believe.

I can’t see how the same shift patterns and staffing levels will be maintained after that.

Still, as long as we’re all getting our vouchers who gives a shit eh?

easygirl

My son works at tesco, and ive got to say they are a very good employer.
    He gets a decent hourly rate, they have given him some shares, and hes in a good pension scheme.
    And before somone says it, no hes not management, he drives a delivery van

hounslow
    Free Member

The mother pays for christmas with clubcard points, also got a £300odd washing machine for £75 with them.

wallop

It’s Tesco’s way of saying thank you to all those taxpayers who subsidise their employees paid less than a living wage 😆

simmy
    Free Member

My local Tesco used to be a Co op which was demolished and the new Tesco built. All the staff from the Co OP are still there and they find them a good employer.

I could get loads of vouchers but I won’t put their fuel in as a colleague had his car go faulty through their Diesel. A mate of mine works in the Fuel Station and she says fair enough then, but let’s not start a debate on that 😉

Another former neighbour works on the fruit and veg section and, if I time it right, he reducing prices around this time of day, got my Tea for 30 p a while ago, full pasta salad and fruit pot…..

totalshell

tesco pay very very close to the living wage.. £7.45 is quoted by the joseph roundtree foundation and tesco std pay is £7.35.. as the countries largest employer thats not a bad record..

and no i dont work for them, but have previously.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We spend circa a grand a month on a tesco credit card. Everything from fuel to newspapers goes on it. Pay it off each month. Haven’t paid to go to the cinema or bowling with the kids for years. In fact we’ve had all manor of days out..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and if we actually shopped at tescos we’d get even more points but our nearest one is a shit hole!

edhornby

That wine you paid for? Don’t even try to guess the markup on it…. It may not even be wine…

edlong
    Free Member

tesco pay very very close to the living wage.. £7.45 is quoted by the joseph roundtree foundation and tesco std pay is £7.35.. as the countries largest employer thats not a bad record

Since when did paying less than a living wage become something to applaud?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Since when did paying the minimum wage become something to berate?

blastit
    Free Member

tesco pay very very close to the living wage.. £7.45 is quoted by the joseph roundtree foundation and tesco std pay is £7.35.. as the countries largest employer thats not a bad record

Since when did paying less than a living wage become something to applaud?

Every Little Helps !!

Harry_the_Spider

It may not even be wine…

Tell us more!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tesco clubcard vouchers’ is closed to new replies.