Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Terrorist attack at Boston marathon?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s interesting that isn’t it. On the same day lots of innocent iraqis get killed by bombs. But that’s not all over the news &social media. Still innocent humans going about their day in a foreign country. Equally tragic 🙁

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah, great way to make a cheap political attack there kevevs – really brilliant human being you are.

Things that don’t happen all the time, happen in a culture nearer to yours, attack an international event that effectively symbolizes an attack against all of us and happen in a place where thousands of people have their camera’s out videoing an event….err tend to get massive news coverage.

Secondly, the yanks like it or not are our allies. Even if we had kept our noses out of the middle east for the past 25 years we’d still be being bombed by their religious nutter elements.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

It’s interesting that isn’t it. On the same day lots of innocent iraqis get killed by bombs. But that’s not all over the news &social media. Still innocent humans going about their day in a foreign country. Equally tragic

Bombs going off somewhere that hardly ever has bomb attacks in bigger news event than bombs going off somewhere that has bomb attacks most days SHOCKER!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s interesting that isn’t it. On the same day lots of innocent iraqis get killed by bombs. But that’s not all over the news &social media.

The difference is that Iraq is the most violent country in the world after Syria, so we expect death, bombs, and destruction there.

The US on the other hand hasn’t been attacked, invaded, occupied, and generally fecked up, by a foreign power, so we don’t expect those sort of things to happen there.

That’s why bombs in Boston gets a prominent place in the news, whilst bombs in Baghdad don’t. Something new needs to happen to make it news.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s just all terrible to me. Horrible to read about innocent people losing their lives through no cause of their own. I heard about these two things today and both sound equaly terrible, but switched on the telly and no sign of the iraqi tragedies. Thats all really

bwaarp
    Free Member

Shouldn’t have clicked the buzzfeed image dump.

Bleugh. I never get used to these kinds of scenes…ones with dead youngsters… little girl is probably a gonner and that may well be her mum lying right next to her… my night has been dampened. Humanity pisses me the **** off, whether your white, asian, black…whatever….it’s always the innocent that get caught up in the power struggles of world and religious leaders.

I’m going to bed – if anyone can find out what happened to that girl please let me know in the morning.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Aye. It’s bloody depressing.
    Night

JCL
    Free Member

not sure I’d do the London Marathon after this.

That’s just what “they” want to here.

summittoppler
    Free Member

So sad to hear about all this.
    Looks like I’ll be twitching in London this weekend and the Mrs is even more nervous about her first now!!
    So senseless

rogerthecat
    Free Member

First reaction from colleague in LA was “White Suprems?” when I told her what had happened. Seems the day coincides with several other events in the past according to a chap on R4 this morning.

ononeorange

Shocking and terrible. I cannot comprehend for a second why anyone would want to do this, and why target runners?

I suppose it now gives every excuse over here to close down all public sporting events. Such a shame.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yesterday was Patriots’ day, the race was being held in honour of the Newtown shooting victims, and reportedly the explosive used was gunpowder.

It could very well be another homegrown terrorist like Timothy McVeigh.

neninja
    Free Member

Regardless of whether it’s Islamists, Anarchists or the extreme right, there are some truly evil people in the world.

Some of the images on news stories are absolutely sickening. I cannot comprehend what makes people do something like that.

Flaperon

The difference is that Iraq is the most violent country in the world after Syria, so we expect death, bombs, and destruction there.

Oh, I see. That makes it OK, then.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“not sure I’d do the London Marathon after this.”

The London Marathon, as ia any large marathon, is a wonderful celebration of life, love and humanity.

Black or white, rich or poor, fast or slow everyone runs the same 26.2 miles. Families and friends come to cheers their loved ones on and find themselves cheering on all those on the roads giving their all.

Love, passion and determination will get you round a marathon.

The same will defeat hate, in its many guises.

All of this coming Sunday’s runners will be winners.

zokes
    Free Member

So nothing to do with the fact that one’s in a country the US completely screwed over, and one’s in the US?

By all means grieve and show compassion. But if you’re going to do so, why only reserve it for when it’s rich white people is a rich western city? At least the ABC here in Oz, to their credit, gave similar screen time to both atrocities.

Bazz

^^ +1

All tragedies, all innocent people just trying to get on with their lives.

Lifer
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    Israeli independence day, heavy Jewish population in Boston, bomb goes off next to road lined with 96 flags.

Hmmmmmm….I wonder who that was.

bwaarp – Member
    Yeah, great way to make a cheap political attack there kevevs – really brilliant human being you are.

Brilliant, love your work.

neninja
    Free Member

US comedian Patton Oswalt has a pretty good take on it –

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, “Well, I’ve had it with humanity.”

But I was wrong. I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet.

You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.”

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Terrorist attack at Boston marathon?’ is closed to new replies.