Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Terrorist attack at Boston marathon?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

There are some links to live police feeds here is anyone is interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1cen7i/explosion_at_the_boston_marathon/?sort=top

It makes an interesting contrast to the mix of wild speculation on twitter and the TV repeating the same info over and over.

robdixon
    Free Member

Awful news from Boston – gutted that people many of whom were running for charity appear have been targeted.. it’s even more evil than usual.

Meanwhile in the UK the latest quartet of home grown nutjobs have just been found guilty of planning bombings – adding to the 300+ that have convicted of similar offences since the London Tube bombings. We’re very lucky to have security services that seem to have managed to keep a lid on this sort of madness for the last few years.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/al-qaeda-gangs-plot-to-attack-army-base-with-toy-car-bomb-8573769.html

busydog
    Free Member

running through the smoke to get to the finishline afterwards

That struck me as odd as well. One woman who crossed the finish line in the cloud of smoke appeared to be looking at her watch as if she was checking her completion time.

CaptJon
    Free Member

busydog – Member
    That struck me as odd as well. One woman who crossed the finish line in the cloud of smoke appeared to be looking at her watch as if she was checking her completion time.

Shock.

warton
    Free Member

3rd bomb has gone off at a library 🙁

This is awful.

busydog
    Free Member

Isn’t the London Marathon this coming weekend? Bet security will be clamped down for that.

CaptJon
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Pretty sure I would do the same – if you’re running a marathon you’re unlikely to be watching the news…

Northwind

busydog – Member

One woman who crossed the finish line in the cloud of smoke appeared to be looking at her watch as if she was checking her completion time.

I have absolutely no idea what I’d do if I’d just been blown up/nearly blown up, never mind after running a marathon. And that’s assuming she had any idea what was going on, sometimes smoke is just smoke. I wouldn’t judge.

brakes
    Free Member

not sure I’d do the London Marathon after this.

busydog
    Free Member

Yeah, probably a combination of all of the above—-hard for the mind to comprehend something so unexpected.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

– Two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon have left at least two dead and 23 injured, and police have found and are dismantling at least two other explosive devices

althepal

No doubt shock would play its part.. Not criticising them, just wondering.
    The 2nd one looked to be right amongst the crowd- horrible stuff- amazed that there only appears to be 2 folk dead so far- although guessing the injuries suffered by those affected will be horrible.
    Just shocking stuff.

AndyRT
    Free Member

So sad

piemonster

A federal law-enforcement source confirmed to The Post there are at least 12 dead and nearly 50 injured. Fox News reported that Massachusetts General Hospital was treating 10 people with amputated limbs and all operating rooms were on hold.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQfVsH1yI

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cell phone signal shut down to stop remote detonation of any further devices.

kimbers

3rd one at boston library

i know this is very early speculation but also read this today
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22158392

phil40
    Free Member

My thoughts go out to any involved, just flickdd on the news to see the headlines before bed and I saw this had happened.

althepal

JFK library pretty decent distance from the finish line area if I remember rightly- just hope there’s no more in other areas.
    As said above, it’s a lovely wee quiet, compact city. Said it already but just a horrible, horrible thing to happen.
    I’m in no doubt that whoever did this will be found- hopefully still alive so that they can face justice.

xiphon
    Free Member

Very sad news to hear such events

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Facebook proven its worth, just heard that a friend running is now safe and sound. Thoughts with those not so fortunate.

I_Ache
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    not sure I’d do the London Marathon after this.

My brother and his wife are doing it, my mum is going to be shitting bricks!

pingu66
    Free Member

Truly a sad day.

It looks like the people of Boston are rallying around and the emergency services worked well.

Its the London marathon on Sunday, not sure I would want to take part after this as its a very big target.

How do we stop these things happening, its innocent people FFS.

mrchrispy

If I was doing the London marathon no way something like this would put me off, do that and they have you beaten!

brakes
    Free Member

I was thinking about going to watch with my wife and kid, our offices are on the route and put on food and entertainers. not sure I’ll go now.
    I don’t buy the “they have you beaten” thing. not if there’s a significant risk of injury or death.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t buy the “they have you beaten” thing. not if there’s a significant risk of injury or death.

Define “significant” – despite the horrific events in Boston, it’s probably more dangerous to drive home every night than it is to go watch the marathon.

sofatester
    Free Member

If I was doing the London marathon no way something like this would put me off, do that and they have you beaten!

This.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….if there’s a significant risk of injury or death.

I doubt very much that this has been a terrorist attack by a person/persons who have got some sort of issue with marathon races across the globe.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just talked to my mother, who’s from New England – she reckons it was homegrown terrorists, since it’s Patriots’ Day.

brakes
    Free Member

you can quote statistics all you like. I might stand more of a chance of getting hit by a bus tomorrow, but if I don’t cross the road I’m not going to get hit.

I doubt very much that this has been a terrorist attack by a person/persons who have got some sort of issue with marathon races

well, if someone can categorically state that then fine.

bencooper
    Free Member

you can quote statistics all you like. I might stand more of a chance of getting hit by a bus tomorrow, but if I don’t cross the road I’m not going to get hit.

Follow that to it’s logical conclusion, and you’ll spend your whole life in bed – and die of bed-bug-induced asthma or something.

How many people compete in and spectate at marathons every year? How many have been killed doing so?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if someone can categorically state that then fine.

Well of course not. It could be a terrorist cell which for reasons best known to themselves have decided to target only marathon races across the globe from now on. But what do you think the chances of that are ?

scotroutes

Worried about doing a Marathon?

Boston Marathon Deaths
    In 1996, a 62-year-old Swedish man died of a heart attack during the 100th anniversary event.[52] In 2002, Cynthia Lucero, 28, died of hyponatremia.[53]

grum
    Free Member

you can quote statistics all you like.

You can prove anything with facts.

zokes
    Free Member
    vorlich
    Free Member

Some sinister photos of a lone figure on the rooftops as first bomb detonates. Appears genuine. Could just be some random guy. But creepy nonetheless.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure how this works, but I would cross the road all day without fear of getting run over, but if you told me that if I crossed the road I had 1/1000 chance of getting run over, I would be more fearful.

nealglover
    Free Member

but if you told me that if I crossed the road I had 1/1000 chance of getting run over, I would be more fearful.

That’s maybe because the real odds would be more like
    1/ 33million on any given day 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Israeli independence day, heavy Jewish population in Boston, bomb goes off next to road lined with 96 flags.

Hmmmmmm….I wonder who that was.

That silence you get right after a bomb goes off, just before the crying and screaming kicks in is the worst. Big love to our yank friends from across the pond – I hope the death toll doesn’t rise any further.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Also I have huge respect for how cool and calm the civilians were, many of them rushing to the scene with the emergency services with no regard for their own personal safety or secondary devices.

Although I wonder how many of them were off duty soldiers, literally within seconds of the bombs going off some of them instinctively head towards the explosion. There aren’t many people who do that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Terrorist attack at Boston marathon?’ is closed to new replies.