Terrible Place for a Bicycle Museum

Home Forum Bike Forum Terrible Place for a Bicycle Museum

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Terrible Place for a Bicycle Museum
  • Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

I’d love to see that museum, we could do with one over here with some of the early UK bikes in – Overbury Pioneer, ‘proper’ Muddy Fox etc.

I was doing just what the Repack guys were doing, but in a much less skilled manner, about 5 years later. Amazing what you can do with a pile of old steel tourers and your mates dads welding kit! Although the 2-into-1 tandem experiment was a major fail, still have scars from that! Used to bend a lot of forks too.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Wonderful looking place, hope to make it over one day. Looks like a great get together to give it a grand opnening too. Thanks for sharing.

If you’re further north, there is another excellent cycle museum on Bainbridge Island in Seattle, well worth a look if you’re in the area.
    http://www.classiccycleus.com/
    It’s attached to a fine bike store too.

Repack Rider

If you’re further north, there is another excellent cycle museum on Bainbridge Island in Seattle, well worth a look if you’re in the area.
    http://www.classiccycleus.com/
    It’s attached to a fine bike store too.

Great tip! I hadn’t heard of that one. They are a little light on my era of MTB, but they do have a rare Cunningham bike. Allow me to return the favor.

Probably one of the best collections of historic mountain bikes is at First Flight Bicycles which is located in another terrible place for a bicycle museum, i.e. 3000 miles from where I live. Check out the Museum of Mountain Bike Art and Technology, MOMBAT.

saxabar

Thanks for posting Charlie. I’m in San Francisco a fair bit so good to have a new destination. Made me smile when I saw your book on the stand down at the Ferry Building.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Thanks for the explanation of the ATB Charlie – sounds like I asked just the right person!

Wish you had opened a couple of weekends earlier! I had an opportunity to hire a racing bike from Blazing Saddles in San Francisco and took a ride out to Fairfax/Stinson/Muirwoods and back to Sausalito on the Thursday before you opened. Those were some of the best roads I’ve ever ridden, wishing I could take more time to explore elsewhere in the area.

Good luck with the museum, looked great from outside with my nose pressed up against the window 8)

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I like the ATB term, but just because it my initials!!

I was born to MTB….. 😕

corroded

I like the term VTT (and the French pronunciation VayTayTay). I remember that when I was just getting into mountain biking in the late 80s, but young enough to be going on family holidays, my Dad was game enough to hire a couple of technicolour MBKs in the Pyrenees. I don’t think he really ‘got’ VTT but I was happy!
    The museum looks great – it’s a great part of the world to ride, not necessarily because of the trails but the people and the culture.
    Isn’t there a small museum at Drumlanrig with an original Horst link bike?

mamadirt

Probably one of the best collections of historic mountain bikes is at First Flight Bicycles which is located in another terrible place for a bicycle museum, i.e. 3000 miles from where I live. Check out the Museum of Mountain Bike Art and Technology, MOMBAT.

Oooh, now that might just be doable this summer 😛

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

For a year or so we “bluffed” the entire industry, which assumed it was a trademark

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Terrible Place for a Bicycle Museum’ is closed to new replies.