Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Terra Nova Laser Compact 1
  • xcracer1
    Free Member
      QAnyone have one of these and want to advise how to attach the bloody pole hood. Can’t see anything in the instructions or online.

There are three webbing loops on the pole cover that need tying to the pole loop on the tent, but how and where do the ends of the pole cover go, and how do you make sure it is tensioned and stays on the tent?

13thfloormonk

I don’t think the pole hood gets tensioned? The three ties hold it in place, then you peg out the two guylines which put the tension on the pole.

xcracer1
    Free Member

I had it as you mention when out camping on friday, but the wind just kept blowing the hood and exposing the seams, and with it raining some minor water droplets came in.

I’m pretty sure I need to also tie the hood to the end of the pole on the floor as well, somehow!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

BadlyWiredDog

I borrowed of those for a couple of weeks. Didn’t really get on with the pole cover thing, just seems unnecessarily faffy. You have to think there’s a better, more intuitive, way of constructing a lightweight tent.

13thfloormonk

Ah, yeah, the edges of the hood should have a cord threaded through them which forms a loop at either end.

Each end of the loop should hook under the ends of the pole. Not tense enough for structural purposes but enough to stop the edges flapping.

xcracer1
    Free Member

Ahh ok, so hook the cord in the pole sleeve under the tent pole on the ground. That kinds of makes sense, Ill have a go sometime this week.

I was thinking I may have to undo the knots in the cord and tie the endd to something as well, which would be proper faff in the wind and rain.

I was camping in capel curig friday night, lots of rain and gusts and it performed well beyond my expectation. The only issue I had was the pole cover moving slightly and very tiny droplets coming in where the pole cover should be. However I didn’t have the ends of the cord connected to anything or tensioned properly.

Great tent for 1kg.

scotroutes

Is the top seam not sealed?

xcracer1
    Free Member

However watching that video above, it seems the cord from the pole is threaded through the loop near the pole end. That would mean undoing the knots on the end of the pole cover cord each time to thread it through there!

xcracer1
    Free Member

No dont think it is sealed, hence the pole cover.

AlasdairMc

I have a Competition 1 and it doesn’t seem to have the drawstring that the Compact does. My pole sleeve cover stays on all the time, and I tension the loose end using a Prussik tied back on itself – similar to a drawstring.

13thfloormonk

Scotroutes has a point actually, I’ve never had droplets coming through, sure it wasn’t condensation?

13thfloormonk

Just watched the video Scotroutes posted – MIND. BLOWN. I’ve been doing it wrong for the last ten years, never realised there was a dedicated loop for the pole hood cord!

Oh, and I just leave the pole hood cover on all the time now, unless I’m going uber-light or know it’s going to be perfect conditions. Saves any extra faff in the field. Makes it a 1.1kg tent instead of 1kg but that’s still better than 2.2kg for my next lightest tent…

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry, late, late, late.

There’s a webbing loop either end of the pole sleeve and a draw string in the hood. The hood ties to its own little loops around the circumference of the pole sleeve. It’s then tensioned via the draw string with a taught line hitch which I forget how to do every time I get a new tent. You only set it up once then leave it alone.

Hitch here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

I’ve been using Laser Comps for yonks so ask away if any questions.

dyls

I think the laser competition and laser compact are exactly the same tent, apart from the pole.

It was definitely rain coming through – we are talking capel curig rain!! Only a very small droplets though!

Pretty sure I have to undo the knots on the pole hood cover, and feed them through the loops near the pole ends on the tent, and re tie the cord on the pole hood. There is a slider thing on the pole hood cord, think that this is used to slightly tension the cover on the tent!!

Why didn’t terra nova give us proper instructions with the tent!

dyls

So i set up the laser in the garden tonight. Think I have done it now. But what a faff, so I have left it on the tent. No way you want to be tying knots in the pole hood cord when its gusting and raining!

boblo
    Free Member

That’s it but I’d get rid of that plastic cord lock and use a taut line hitch. The cord lock will slip when it’s starts blowing a bit and you’ll be out fiddling with it every so often. You need it tight for the pole hood to form a seal against the flysheet. Oh, and don’t take it off, there’s no need.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Terra Nova Laser Compact 1’ is closed to new replies.