Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tent poles – shock cord needs replacing
  • timwillows
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a company that will replace the shock cording in tent poles for a sensible price?

Poles are Al, with an end nipple that slots into the groundsheet, the end nipple is firmly bonded to the pole and I have been unable to shift it, despite efforts with mole grip.

boblo
    Free Member

Tried the manufacturer? Or praps Lancashire Sports Repairs. If they can't do it, they might know who can.

Stoner
    Free Member

can you not jam a plug of some sort with some new shock cord on down the open end?

timwillows
    Free Member

Manufacturer offers replacement poles at £200+, not keen on this for a 10+ year old tent, but seems a shame to bin it for such a minor problem. I'll check out Lancashire.
    Ingenious idea Stoner, might give it a ry in despiration, yesterdays attempt of cutting cord short and re-tying has been of limited success.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id cut a slot lengthways halfway through a wittled wine cork, push the new shock cord into the slot with a hefty knot at one end so that the cord doesnt pull through the slot by accident and then tamp the cork down the open end 3" or 4".

cynic-al
    Free Member

but seems a shame to bin it for such a minor problem

Shirley you can still erect the tent?

How about araldite or similar?

IHN

Stoner = MacGuyver 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive watched three series of Burn Notice in 6 days. Pass me the C4 😉

timwillows
    Free Member

Serious wittling of a wine cork, the internal diameter is only about 4mm!

Yes, I can still put the tent up, but it now takes >30 minutes compared to about 5 when all wa nice and tight

Stoner
    Free Member

4mm? even easier, use the end of a chopstick as a wedge….and a chewing gum wrapper and some C4 just to be sure…

alanf
    Free Member

Get down to your local angling store and get a pole elastic threader and top section bungs, that should sort it for you.
    Fishing poles use elastic inside thin poles so I'm sure they'd do what you need.

boblo
    Free Member

Just found this via Google. They quote £7.50 to re-shock cord a pole:

swiss01
    Free Member

poeple pay for this!? i have to be one of the most mechanically glaikit people i know and even i can replace this myself. a quick google reveals world of camping doing replacement cord for 46p a metre. surely worth a try?

no, really you should. either you get your poles fixed or i have the staisfaction of knowing there's someone in the world more inept than me

molgrips
    Free Member

You don't really need the shock cord. Just keep the bits, and assemble it as you go 🙂 Depends how long it is mind, could get awkward 🙂

MartynS

go to a camping shop, shockcord kits are really cheap.. you get the cord and some washers and its a 10minute job

Stoner
    Free Member

Guys, the difficulty is the fixed pole end the OP mentions

smiffy

I just repaired a similar pole, you don't need to remove the end ferrule, just get a fine tweezer or homemade wire hook and grab the little knot inside the end ferrule and you're eaway.

timwillows
    Free Member

Sorry Smiffy but it would have to be quite a pair of tweezers, the pole is about 45cm long!

adamdv8
    Free Member

Got one done today – £4 from Craigdon Mountain Sports in Aberdeen! New section of pole and replaced the bungee. Top guy, did it on the spot. Not alu poles though, so maybe not much help

smiffy

Sorry Smiffy but it would have to be quite a pair of tweezers, the pole is about 45cm long!

then you're going at it from the wrong end; the knot is at the outer end, withing the ferrule.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tent poles – shock cord needs replacing’ is closed to new replies.