Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tent pole repair sleeve
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Evening,

I need a temporary fix for a TNF Tadpole 23 pole. There is a split in one of the joints and, though it still goes up OK, it is a weak point which might just give up on me. I’m loathe to buy a replacement pole (Easton = probably expensive) as it’s a 12 year old tent which doesn’t owe me anything. I’m just hoping to eke one more summer out of it before it gets replaced next year.

Any idea where I might get a repair sleeve of the correct gauge? I’m guessing it’s a standard diameter (can’t measure it just now because I’ve left it at my parents’ house).

Cheers,
    SC

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ask TNF if they can help?

acehtn
    Free Member

Absolute cheap fix/bodge.

Drill small hole at top of split/crack. This should stop it spreading.

You could whip over with thread/fishing braid line/mono filament line, tie off and glue over the top of it (look at fishing rod eyes)

Pole repair kits are out there, as are cheap glass fibre poles, you will need to know the pole diameter.
    Also, know any any archers ? arrows are made by Easton in high grade alu tube, an off cut of broken shaft may be close enough if you have access to archery people….

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bodge is good…

I’m sure monofilament/wire and duct tape would solve the problem, though if it fails in the week I’m in the Western Isles, I might be a bit stuck.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

An email to TNF may be a good fallback position.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Is it the male or female end? I’ve had a few female ends split on easton poles. I simply use a pipe cutter to chop the offending section off and it’s good to go. A couple of cm makes no difference to the tent pitching well.

ampthill

If you just mean a bit Al tube that the pole will fit in e-mail me your address

i made loads a few years ago when our big tent collapsed

I have just found one next to me

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thank you ampthill!

I’m not sure of the diameter so I might need to do a bit of research before I email you.

It’s the female end which has split.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Just chop a bit off then and it’ll be grand.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive had poles split the full length wrapped them in insulation tape as a quick get me through the weekend fix.

senorj

Insulation tape has worked for me too .

ampthill

My repair sleeve was in use on an 8.5mm pole. That’s a fairly standard pole diameter

stuartie_c
    Free Member

email on its way, ampthill.

chickenman

Scottish Mountain Gear in Musselburgh; just bought 2 new Easton sections (0.3″?) plus an end plug for my Macpac tent. Total cost £7.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Insulation tape on a pretty splintered pole or two here also…. still going strong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tent pole repair sleeve’ is closed to new replies.