Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tent condensation. Help please.
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening all
    I’ve got a WC Zephyros and it gets quite damp with condensation. What can I do to lessen this? I’m thinking of leaving the doors cracked open top and bottom, to get a bit of ventilation. I read somewhere about using a footprint helps, but I can’t find one for my model. Any other tips? I unclip the inner and wipe it at the moment, then wait for it to dry before packing, but if I can minimise/eliminate having to do this it would be better.
    It wouldnt be so bad if I could put it up in the garden and leave to dry, but I struggle for room.

Ta

crikey
    Free Member

I think it’s fundamentally a design issue; no through flow of air because no vents at either end will mean condensation.

irc

The more ventilation the better. So unless you need the tent closed up for bad weather or insects leave the door open.

For a footprint – buy a PVA shower curtain and cut to size. 100g £5.

sweepy
    Free Member

I reckon Crikeys right, there’s nowhere for the moisture to go.
    Having said that as long as its not getting into the inner its no problem. Give it a brisk shake before stuffing it in the bag (oo-er), then drape it over a clothes horse in the living room when you get home and turn it regularly, it’ll dry in no time.

matt_outandabout

Why seal a door up unless it’s raining?

Leave outer door a small gap, even the inner if no bugs. Leave vents open. Allow or help gaps under fly edge.

Buy a tent with decent vents….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Put a damp flannel over your face when you bed down for the night; should stop it.

Spin
    Free Member

Pop something under the edge of the fly at a few points to lift it off the ground and allow air to circulate.

scotroutes

It’s always tempting to camp somewhere sheltered and low-lying but finding somewhere higher and draftier away from water can give you more air passing between the inner and outer.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Leave off the heavy breather calls

donald
    Free Member

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

shermer75
    Free Member

p with condensation. What can I do to lessen this? I’m thinking of leaving the doors cracked open top and bottom

This is what I do

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. I’m off out Sunday so I’ll try lifting the flysheet at a couple of points. Shower curtain for footprint is a good idea thanks. I’ve stopped carrying a damp flannel, so that’s a non starter 8) . Not sold on the “leaving out the heavy breathing” idea, I need some entertainment 😆
    I’ll report back after Sunday.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Stop masterbating in your tent

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As everyone else says, you need air flowing thru the tent and just as much ventilation between flysheet and inner as poss. Buy some clothes line pegs and peg the sides up higher if they touch the ground to allow more air to flow between inner and outer, flysheet doors top and bottom open as much as you can get away with depending on the weather. whatever you do there is always going to be some moisture in the tent, just hang it at home anywhere to dry after use before packing away.

epicyclo

It’s mainly your breath.

It puts me off using my lightweight tent – it’s about the size of a coffin and is soaked with condensation in the morning.

I have often wondered if compartmentalising the tent would work. Something like a curtain hanging down at your neck and the top half of the tent very well vented.

scotroutes

Congratulations. You’ve just invented the bivvy bag.

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    ‘epicyclo » I have often wondered if compartmentalising the tent would work. Something like a curtain hanging down at your neck and the top half of the tent very well vented.’
    Congratulations. You’ve just invented the bivvy bag.

I knew someone would have a dig about that. 🙂

Let’s just call it the very big bivvy bag, or if we were in Oz, the swag.

noltae
    Free Member

Cant reiterate enough the need for airflow inside your tent – it can be counterintuitive taking shelter from the wind when choosing where to pitch – also be mindful of finding as drier patch of ground as you can – Wipe tent inner with absorbent travel towell as and when condensation builds up – as once you’ve done this the chances of a secondary build up of condensation is vastly diminished .. I use a mylar/ space blanket between groundsheet and sleeping pad – really great moisture barrier and extra layer of insulation to cope with the condensation that too often can occur under sleeping pad .. Also try to make sure your changing into dry clothing for camp ..

billyboy
    Free Member

Just used an MSR Hubba NX. The fly sits high, there’s a vent and you can half roll up the entry side. There was little to no condensation on the 5 nights I’ve had in it in variously wind, rain and still /clammy.

Used a Telemark 1 last year…. If you have to batten the tent down that can generate a fair amount of condensation. If you have a breeze it helps. If you can leave the outer door open it vastly improves things.

Before that I used an Atko. It has vents both ends. If you use them it cuts condensation down considerably- if you don’t then you get quite a lot.

Like everyone else says- design…. And venting

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tent condensation. Help please.’ is closed to new replies.